jjamore

Reaction score
Do most tour pros ply there wedges flat? Or flat compared to their iron lie angles?

Don’t know about “most”. Many do.

Not a pro but I am going to get new wedges and go flat with them next year. I did a wedge fitting in the fall at Titleist and I definitely hit the flat wedges better and felt them a bit more versatile around the greens.

63 lie when std is 64 lie

I'm sure some do and some don't, and the manufacturer specs surely make a difference. I play mine pretty flat. My lie angle doesn't change much from 9i-LW.

I play my irons 2 degrees up wedges are played stock

I play my two wedges 2 degrees flatter than my irons. I like it as I feel I have more control for various shots.

I once read an article where the reporter went to interview John Daly. A part of that interview was conducted at a final fitting session for a new set of clubs. Daly was working through the really short irons, handed them to the rep, and told him to have them bent 1/4 degree flatter! Daly sat down, grabbed a diet Coke and fired up a heater. The reporter asked why he had those clubs bent flat.

Daly said that he didn't swing those clubs quite as hard as the others. They are for accuracy, not distance. They are "scoring" clubs. Swings at a Tour players speed introduces something called "shaft droop", which will get the toe part of the sole of the club into the ground before the mid-sole! This can cause shots flared to the right. This is a problem that not many of us have any familiarity with!

Anyway, Daly said that there are far too few amateurs who realize how much a slight bend in lie could benefit them.

Back