What is the lightest driver out there?

tacotruck

Reaction score
Handicap
Is it the TaylorMade Burner SuperFast? The Cleveland Launcher DST? Something else?

Well, DST claims the lightest head out there, but that may be an untruth.

Light heads are not everything though, you need to make sure it fits you well. If it is the lightest on the market, and you stink with it, then it aint no count, is it? A good shaft is essential too.

I think one of the Wilson Staff current drivers are pretty light - Shockwave I think...

As far as head weight goes, it is the DST, by about 3 grams. As for total, I believe the SuperFast has it by a couple of grams over the DST, Fast 10, and a few others.

Lol the DST paired with that new shaft from miyazaki? What is it, like 37 grams or something? That would be one hell of a light driver.
As far as head weight goes, it is the DST, by about 3 grams. As for total, I believe the SuperFast has it by a couple of grams over the DST, Fast 10, and a few others.

I just noticed that the swing weight on the TM SuperFast is @ D8, higher than the Launcher DST (swing weight @ D4) or any other current TM driver. Does this mean that the TM SuperFast would feel heavier in your hands than the DST even though the DST actually weighs more? Can anyone comment on the feel of the SuperFast in regard to its relatively high swing weight?

Anyway, the reason I'm so interested in lightweight drivers is because I just went through a session at the Cleveland Fitting Studio in Huntington Beach, CA. After trying various head/shaft combinations, what I found was that my best and most consistent numbers came from using the lightest available shaft. Whether it was an iron or a driver, the lighter weight really seemed to help me control the club head better. The only clubs I preferred and performed better without a lightweight shaft were the wedges. In any event, after trying everything out, the numbers showed that my best fit at Cleveland was the stock Launcher DST 10.5*-Stiff. I liked the DST a lot and it performed well but something about the sound/feel of the club didn't resonate with me so I thought I'd see what other lightweight driver options were out there.

Lighter the shaft = heavier the clubhead, in feeling. I was under the impression that swingweight was not at actual weight, but rather a figure to show where the weight is distributed. Meaning that the superfasts weight is way down in the head, becasue the grip and shaft are so light? There is a definite chance that i am WAY off though.
I just noticed that the swing weight on the TM SuperFast is @ D8, higher than the Launcher DST (swing weight @ D4) or any other current TM driver. Does this mean that the TM SuperFast would feel heavier in your hands than the DST even though the DST actually weighs more? Can anyone comment on the feel of the SuperFast in regard to its relatively high swing weight?

Anyway, the reason I'm so interested in lightweight drivers is because I just went through a session at the Cleveland Fitting Studio in Huntington Beach, CA. After trying various head/shaft combinations, what I found was that my best and most consistent numbers came from using the lightest available shaft. Whether it was an iron or a driver, the lighter weight really seemed to help me control the club head better. The only clubs I preferred and performed better without a lightweight shaft were the wedges. In any event, after trying everything out, the numbers showed that my best fit at Cleveland was the stock Launcher DST 10.5*-Stiff. I liked the DST a lot and it performed well but something about the sound/feel of the club didn't resonate with me so I thought I'd see what other lightweight driver options were out there.

Lighter the shaft = heavier the clubhead, in feeling. I was under the impression that swingweight was not at actual weight, but rather a figure to show where the weight is distributed. Meaning that the superfasts weight is way down in the head, becasue the grip and shaft are so light? There is a definite chance that i am WAY off though.

The DST's shaft (Stiff Flex - 47g) is 1g lighter than the SuperFast's (Stiff Flex - 48g). Under your reasoning, the DST's swing weight should be higher than the SuperFast's because the DST has a lighter shaft but that is not the case. The DST has a lighter shaft and a lower swing weight than the SuperFast. In fact, at D4, the DST has a fairly standard swing weight common to many drivers on the market. For example, most of TaylorMade's current drivers also have a swing weight of D4. I'm thinking that the higher swing weight of the TM SuperFast has more to do with the fact that its shaft is 3/4" longer than the DST's. However, there is a definite chance that I too could be way off on this.

Spoiler
Thread Jack! im sorry

Is lighter necessarily better, i love my TM Superfast but when i put a heavier 63 g shaft on it i got a litte more distance and i gained control and consistency anyone else have any thoughts on it

Spoiler
Thread Jack! im sorry

Is lighter necessarily better, i love my TM Superfast but when i put a heavier 63 g shaft on it i got a litte more distance and i gained control and consistency anyone else have any thoughts on it

TOA,
Listen to this show. It is with shaft expert Tim Gillis and he talks about lighter shafts.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=9834

i listened to the show and i loved it i was looking more for other peoples feelings i love my lighter shaft it was definitely a better option but i was looking for other peoples opinions on if they thought it was too light?

WS really needs help picking better names for their drivers.

Back