What's the most out of your mind round ever?

dpgator33

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a 17.7 HCP, and haven't shot better than 90 in a long time, a couple years at least. My pb at my home course is 90, shot three times, once yesterday. I have shot in the 80s before, including one 80 about 4 years ago, but on a decidedly easier course.

Decided to play again today since I was swinging it well, and man, am I glad I did.

I wouldn't believe it if someone else had the same story. Shot 41-40, with 27 putts. Even had three doubles and a triple or it could have been completely off the charts. I had everything today; kept my driver in play for the most part, recovered like my life depended on it, and hit a ton of putts.

Course is tough too, fast greens, slope of 131 from the white tees where I play from. I am usually in the low-mid 90s, with at least one round In The last couple months in triple digits.

So let's reminisce a bit. What's your most crazy lights out, completely unconscious round where you shot something you had no business shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This past September with my Dad. I was for me, in the zone.
d40809e71bed7a073da47b1b3b6e613c.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My best on-course streak last year was a league round in August when I played the last 6 holes of a 9-hole round in just +3. My teammate missed a par putt on the last one that would have given him a PB 39 for the same 9 holes.

It felt great to have things click for a while and I took it as a sign that I really am improving, if slowly!

YFuoC78.png

I'll go with this round. Should have shot 33 on the back too. Missed a 4 footer for birdie on 18 that lipped 3/4 of the cup and I though it was in the moment I touched the ball.

I'm around a 10 handicap and that was only the second sub par nine I've ever had.

38308a7d20bcb637596928dd99dce6bb.jpg

I've been a 5-7 cap for 2 years now. Show mid 70s many times. 74 is my low, that I've hit a handful of times. But 1 stands out. I shot 74 with 35 putts. I think 4 three putts. Played lights out and missed almost a dozen putts inside 8 feet.

I shot an even par 72 earlier this year and made it look easy. I was -1 on the 18th tee and had a 6 foot birdie putt on 18 for a round of 70. I 3 jacked like a champ.
That day I was calling myself a sandbagger lol.

My last two 9 holes...just crazy.

Sophomore year of HS I was playing in our city men's tournament and I shot a first day 72 (E) and was tied for the lead. I think my handicap was about 5.5 or so. The second day I shot a 68 (-4) to win by 5 and it was the first time I shot in the 60s.

I made every putt and made some up and downs from jail multiple times. Just when it seemed like the wheels were coming off, I'd get up and down. Fun round.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Not a great round, at all, but it was insane and one I'll always remember. I had 7 birdies, the most ever but you gotta wait for the punchline. Most I had since was 4, did that a few times.

So, the punchline to the 7 birdies round?

I didn't break 90.

Lol.. yup. It was either birdie, double or worse. No pars, no bogies. The most excellent yet shameful round of golf I'll ever play.

I hope.

I've never had a round like this. I think higher handicappers are less susceptible to the random, unusually good round. I've had plenty go the other direction, though, that made me think I was out of my mind for continuing to play this game.

I have had a couple of 9 holes this last year where I have shot +1 or +2 gross

Both times were when I was taking some beginners round the course, so there was absolutely no pressure to make a score as I was more focussed on helping them with what to do for each shot. I was just stepping up, hitting my ball and then concentrating on what they were doing

A 9 hole round a few years ago, I had 4 birdies, in a row and shot 34 on the front at my home course. Last year, I shot a less than stellar 41 on the front (same course) then on the back (noticeably harder) shot a 35 (-1). First time under par for me on the back.

Almost shot 39 on the front nine last year, I believe I was -1 through 4 holes. Ended up in the mid 80's for the round but that would have been the first I cracked into the 30's. So close..

Most out of no where, out of my mind 'lucky' round happened 40 years ago on day two of the first tournament I ever entered, Brooks AFB Base Championship. I'd been playing about a year, had an 18 handicap and and won low net by going 92-79 (-9). Pretty much all luck, I holed out 5 times in that 79, two were from about 60 yards, one of those was for a par...haha! Good thing the course manager, who knew me and my game very well, was in my foursome both days. There was definitely some grumbling when my 79 was posted. It was another 6 or 7 years before I legitimately broke 80 again.:beat-up:

I've had several rounds in recent years where I hit everything pretty much 'out of my mind' great. Usually I crap the bed when I pick up my putter on those days.

Last edited:
I had one round I particular that stands out. At the time I was probably 26 or more handicap. It wasn't far removed from the THP event Ultimate Club Testing with TaylorMade and I was playing the Speedblades and hitting them well. My first hole was a double bogey and my last a triple. The other 16 holes I played lights out for my skill level. No birdies, but a lot of tap in pars or bogeys. I was only 9 over for that other 16 holes. I was finding every fairway and chipping the best I ever have. I have had a few rounds since in the mid to upper 80s, but nothing like that round.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Had one round this summer where I had 5 birdies. I thought for sure I was going to finally break 80, but a quad and a triple put an end to that real quick!

Back