Whirlpool Dryer? Humidity of the South? Just dumb but bad Luck? WTF?

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
So, we moved into this new construction house in Dec 22. It included all the appliances including the aformentions fancy Whirlpool Washer Dryer.

I the exhaust vent get clogged up with lint every few months - I need to remove vacuum clean etc. Every 2-3 months. Now, due to the knee, I did it the week before surgery and now the vent exhaust tube feels like it's full of water?!?!? I will find a way to remove clean etc tomorrow - fun times is this normal for the south?

I lived in No VA for most of my life we NEVER had to do that, not ever. I know it's not the south south, but summers are damn hot there and humidity is pretty high there too. So, what is making this different?

There is a screen on the cover that is actually outside - that catches the lint, I assume it's supposed to keep bugs/bees/birds/lizards whatever out and I can't remove it for that reason. So to clean that, pull out dryer, remove exhaust hose vacuum the screen, then clean out the hose, then use the vacuum attachments to clean lint from around the drum.

Again, never had to do any of this in VA. So, is something else in play is there a better way to correct this problem? Do I get a differnet kind of screen or cover? Shoot the dryer?

Beat clothes on a rock and leave out to dry?

Sorry, not a good day - thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions that can't be traced for insurance purposes - hahahaah.

SOme creative searches and the problem is the 50cent screen that apparently I have never, ever had on a house before, here or anywhere else.

I had been cleaning the screen about every 2-3 months, but last time, just before surgery, I replaced the vent hose from the metal ones to a plastic one that was rated better. The metal ones leak there was always moisture all over when I cleaned the screen - a 30 minute PIA. I put the new improved plastic one in and no leaks - apparently - and fully clogged up as the screen catches all the lint.

The dryer is on the 3rd floor and I am old and will not be climbing a ladder that high anytime soon - maybe. I am looking for a decent vent cover that does not need a screen some sort of louvered model. I'd rather have lint blowing everywhere than need to clean the F*cking Screen every few months. As long as the thing keeps bug, rain, lizards etc out.

F*cking 50 cent screen.

Not in the south so can't help from that perspective but shouldn't the regular lint trap be catching 99%? Our house has an awful run of exhaust line from the dryer. Down, left, right, then about 15 feet to get out of the house. About once per year, I use the shop vac to suck out what I can reach, then turn it around and use the blower to get what will flush out of the line. We have the louver type cover on the outside. Good luck with your solutions. It shouldn't be that hard.

Not in the south so can't help from that perspective but shouldn't the regular lint trap be catching 99%? Our house has an awful run of exhaust line from the dryer. Down, left, right, then about 15 feet to get out of the house. About once per year, I use the shop vac to suck out what I can reach, then turn it around and use the blower to get what will flush out of the line. We have the louver type cover on the outside. Good luck with your solutions. It shouldn't be that hard.
I was (and am) wondering the same thing. I don't do clothes too often (that is wash/dry) I am the designated folder. I do sometimes look at the trap and it seldom has a ton of lint in it - not sure if it's a poor design or what, I also have a few dryer vent cleaning brushes as well as vacuum attachments to clean inside the dryer via the lint trap. But the stupid screen - to keep bugs out (I assume) catches 99% of what is not caught at the trap. I am too old, the space too small and my new knee does not want me on the floor (yet) but no choice in the matter. So between today and 2 months from now I will have the vent cover replaced with something else.

Fortunately (or not) the vent hose is about a 2ft or less run from dryer to outside (it's on an exterior wall). I would cut the hose, but then I can't pull the dryer away and not pull the hose off or if water/lint collect it would likely end up in the dryer (which it may be now anyway).

Ugh.

Few things bud....

1) if the vent is on the roof/upper lever of outdoor, guaranteed the home builder put so many freaking 90* turns to get there it causes part of the issue.

2) There are decent vents that have either a flap/bigger opening, but I cannot remember or really recall the name and would have to look.

3. Mine used to be bad as well due to builder and just overall poor design. I had a vent clearing company come one time to check and they decided to basically rip the vent out and I haven't had any issues with bugs as far as i know.... your mileage will vary though with that haah.

Replace that screen with this. It will keep the bugs out and won't clog like a screen.

shopping

Last edited:
That’s pretty much what i am looking at maybe a metal version so it lasts longer, due to location being a PIA

Back