Whoops.... Sky mark

NikeGolfGuy

Reaction score
Handicap
So last night I was at the range and pulled out my two week old RBZ driver and it was probably my second or third swing with the driver that night and I don't know if the ball was teed up too high or I came in too steep or what happened but the ball literally went straight up about 60 feet or so and left me with not only a sky mark but a dent in the crown of my brand new driver. Now i continued to use it last night and the performance wasn't affected as far as I can tell. But it is embarrassing and I was wondering if there's a way to un-do it. I was thinking maybe a painless dent repair guy. But that's about a hundred bucks!! I'm open to suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring it back to the store where you bought it and get a new one. TM stands behind their products very well.

The last time I did that on a black driver I used Sharpies to black out the mark and tried to forget about it. No worries, I know it's tough, but eventually you'll forget all about it!

Can't really give you much advise on the dent, sorry. Use some rubbing compound like the Meguiars Scratch X on the sky mark and buff it pretty well, that part of it should come out looking pretty good.

Ouch, :beat-up: I really don't think TaylorMade or the store are going to give you a new one as this falls under "operator error" and not a failure of their product. I can't remember the name of those wraps that cover the driver head to prevent sky marks, but that might be a good alternative. I am sure someone on here will remember the name.

Bring it back to the store where you bought it and get a new one. TM stands behind their products very well.
try this they will takeback anything

Short of returning it (wouldn't hurt to try) not sure how to deal with a dent. Skymarks and a little scratched paint, yes, but a dent no. They make these drivers with thin crowns these days, but the area where the face meets the crown should be reinforced enough to not dent in if you get under it a little. If that's where it is, definitely try to return it. If it's in the middle of the crown they might not be so accommodating. I feel your pain, I once loaned a friend a new driver at the range and he handed it back with just such a dent. Never even tried to get it fixed.

For skymarks (where the paint isn't scratched), I've had great luck getting them off with a soft toothbrush and a little toothpaste. It's a mild abrasive that works well on teeth and golf clubs. Scratches require paint or markers.

Ouch, :beat-up: I really don't think TaylorMade or the store are going to give you a new one as this falls under "operator error" and not a failure of their product. I can't remember the name of those wraps that cover the driver head to prevent sky marks, but that might be a good alternative. I am sure someone on here will remember the name.

PUPs? pop up protectors.

Tap before talk.

Yeah it's a little further back from the leading edge, about half an inch. I really don't know how it happened. I've never hit it that far underneath the ball. Baffling really. I bought it from dicks and I'm going there tonight. (need some new golf shoes for the summer) so I'll try and throw that in there and see if I can get the head replaced.

I don't think their gonna give you that hard of a time in returning this if the store does contact TM directly. It's not like you turned the club around to hit it you skyed it and didn't act recklessly with the club. I think ssomeone in another thread posted about denting the toe of his R9 driver and he just took it in and they did right by him and that club is 2 seasons old now.

mr. clean magic eraser does wonders...

I just use some regular sheet lamination (translucent) and cut strips about 1/2 X 4" and trim them to the club, peel off the backing and apply. Can get a whole bunch out of 1 sheet of laminating paper.

I do feel your pain. I was taking a few practice swings in my garage, and all was well. Then I opened the door and forgot that I lost my clearence. Bang! a nasty little dent in my driver.
I also do some auto detailing so I used my double action polisher and some heavy duty compound to take out the worst of the scratches, and then some finishing compound to smooth it out some more. The dent's still there but not nearly as noticeable. If you don't have those kind of supples, I'm thinking you could take it to an auto detailer and he could do it for a few bucks. Nowhere near a hundred.
The painless dent repair would have to get inside the head to knock out the dent. That doesn't sound like something I would trust him to do.

You got to go through TM. The store isn't supposed to accept a return on it. TM will replace it for you though

Thanks lance I actually work at a body shop so I had my guys polish the scratches out and I can't really tell anymore. And mjfarioli I bought a Nike Vr pro 3 wood last year and second swing at the range the shaft broke right at the hosel/str8 fit adapter and dicks replaced it no questions asked. Either way it doesn't hurt to try. The people in the golf section are basically kids anyways I doubt they'll bust out the return guideline handbook on me. Well see and I'll keep everyone updated.

Dent removal if they don't return it goes like this....

Tools needed
1. hairdryer or heat gun.
2 dry ice.

heat up the dent with the heat gun don't get it hot where you discolor the paint but just warm. Then take the dry ice and set it on the crown where the dent it. They do it with hail dents in vehicles. I bet it would work just fine for a golf club...

It should litarally pop out.

try dicks or taylormade. a tm rep told me at the r11 launch that they have even replaced drivers that looked like they were used to hit rocks in the parking lot. he made it seem like they will take care of you if something bad happens to your club.

Yeah well the guy at dicks in the golf section was no help and a complete ass. I asked him "about two weeks ago I bought a taylormade RBZ driver and the other day on the range I got a dent in the crown of the driver is there anything you can do about that?" he looks at me like I was a complete and goes "did you put the dent in there yourself?" completely taken aback by his response I answered "well it didn't get there by itself so yes I suppose I did do it myself" and he goes "well since you did it yourself there's nothing we can do for you" WHAT!!!! So if some little magical elf came along and popped a dent in my driver you'd replace it because I didn't do it? I don't get it. I guess I'll turn to the power of twitter next and ask dicks or taylormade how to resolve it.

Yeah well the guy at dicks in the golf section was no help and a complete ass. I asked him "about two weeks ago I bought a taylormade RBZ driver and the other day on the range I got a dent in the crown of the driver is there anything you can do about that?" he looks at me like I was a complete and goes "did you put the dent in there yourself?" completely taken aback by his response I answered "well it didn't get there by itself so yes I suppose I did do it myself" and he goes "well since you did it yourself there's nothing we can do for you" WHAT!!!! So if some little magical elf came along and popped a dent in my driver you'd replace it because I didn't do it? I don't get it. I guess I'll turn to the power of twitter next and ask dicks or taylormade how to resolve it.

Thats just total lazyness on there part, contact TM direct and let them know what happened BEFORE you try and fix it yourself. They could always denny the claim if you do that.

They should definitely replace it I'd think. If you were asking for a new paint job I'm sure they'd laugh at you. But a ball...hitting the club and causing a dent. That's what the club is made for, so it shouldn't matter where on the face you hit it. It still shouldn't dent. Scratch, yes. Dent, no. If you hit the ball toward the heel and it dented the heel I'm sure they'd replace it. So why not on the crown, right?

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I'd give TM a call. Then I'd give Dicks head office a call to get their take on the stores official policy and if this guy did the wrong thing I'd make it known to them.

I'd give TM a call. Then I'd give Dicks head office a call to get their take on the stores official policy and if this guy did the wrong thing I'd make it known to them.

It is a TM Policy. 100% whatever the case is if it breaks no matter who's fault your supposed to go through TM. Dicks is not supposed to accept a return in this case. However who ever sold you the club at Dicks should have told you about this.

Well I'm not quite sure how to contact taylormade but I'm assuming it's in the plastic baggie along with the wrench to adjust the club. I'll check tomorrow and call them about sending it in. It doesn't look like dicks is willing to help at all. Stupid big box stores.

Well I'm not quite sure how to contact taylormade but I'm assuming it's in the plastic baggie along with the wrench to adjust the club. I'll check tomorrow and call them about sending it in. It doesn't look like dicks is willing to help at all. Stupid big box stores.

Go on their website and there will be a phone # on there.

Back