Why no retail ball with alignment mark?

dpgator33

Reaction score
Handicap
Given the percentage of golfers that affix an alignment mark to supplement the existing marks on a golf ball, why are there not companies that release a line of balls that already have this "extended" marking on them? I would certainly buy them if they were available. It seems like a nominal manufacturing expense that would appeal to a large audience and offset whatever additional cost it would take to produce.

I thought all balls had marks for this, just look at them.

I thought all balls had marks for this, just look at them.

I think OP is wanting longer lines drawn already in.

And to the OP, the alignment marks that are already on golf balls work just fine for me. I know it's personal though.

No thanks. My ball is already distracting enough.

It's easy enough to just put a line on it haha

I swear I've seen a ball that had a line on it before, can't remember the make/model though. I personally wouldn't mind a small line that ran 1/3 - 1/2 way around the ball as I put a line on all of mine. It would be nice not to have to have to redraw/mark the line or clean the markings off of club faces.

I agree with using the marks already on the side of the ball. I have never been one to mark balls up with sharpies. The less distractions, the better for me.

The Srixon Soft Feel and Titleist NXT tours have pretty large arrows on them for alignment. Not sure if there are any others.

The Bridgestone's have a pretty good alignment aid to me.

Lines on the ball are personal preferences. Most I play with don't line the or add lines. I know a few that do and half can really putt, the other need work.

What made me wonder was the half dozen balls I found my last round, each of them with a sharpie mark on them extending the existing markings. I personally done care and I've never marked mine up like that, but it seems there are an awful lot of people that do, and even with a tool to do it yourself, it seems like a hassle that would be worth picking one ball over another if that was their preference.

I can just imagine a guy looking to pick up a dozen balls, and being perfectly willing to spend $2 more for ones that had the stripe around the ball versus the same dozen that didn't. Heck, charge the same even if it means a golfer who normally play a certain brand of $20 balls and might switch loyalties to basically the same quality of ball made by a competing brand.

Interesting point. I used to mark my balls for a long time and it seemed like once I stood over the ball it seemed to be mis aligned compared to when I lined it up. Not sure if that was just my eyes playing tricks. I stopped because I didn't see the purpose of doing it any more when the ball comes with the marks already and since a majority of the balls are pretty well balanced. I noticed a lot of pros have the lines and wonder if like a lot of other things amateurs do what they see in tv because the pros do it.

I would prefer a completely blank ball, I try to have the plain side of the ball up when I putt. I used a line for a bit, but I found that it would distract me more than anything, constantly trying to adjust my eyes and making sure my alignment was right.

I align the blank side of the ball so I can focus on a spot I'm trying to putt to. I used to use a line but found myself second guessing the line quite frequently. Also several instructors kept saying how important it was to practice aligning the ball! Anyhow, I think the OEMs provide a basic line to keep it simple. Also a sharpie is cheap!

Im like others, give me a completely blank ball and let me go to town! When I tee it up, I make sure I can see nothing. When I putt, I want to look at nothing. Perhaps, one of my favorite thing to do is ball testing without ANY marking or logos on them. Just love it

Im like others, give me a completely blank ball and let me go to town! When I tee it up, I make sure I can see nothing. When I putt, I want to look at nothing. Perhaps, one of my favorite thing to do is ball testing without ANY marking or logos on them. Just love it

Flashbacks of the blind ball testing a couple years ago. Would have been amazing to be a part of that.

To add to the OP, I think that if golf companies are seriously worried about the game struggling and wanting to help with pace of play, get rid of the lines on the balls. Most guys spend just as long lining up the ball as they do with the putt

Interesting point. I used to mark my balls for a long time and it seemed like once I stood over the ball it seemed to be mis aligned compared to when I lined it up. Not sure if that was just my eyes playing tricks. I stopped because I didn't see the purpose of doing it any more when the ball comes with the marks already and since a majority of the balls are pretty well balanced. I noticed a lot of pros have the lines and wonder if like a lot of other things amateurs do what they see in tv because the pros do it.

Do people check their golf balls for balance? I've never seen or myself checked a golf balls shape.

Do people check their golf balls for balance? I've never seen or myself checked a golf balls shape.

I don't think many people do it that much anymore since the manufacturers have been doing a lot better job at getting balanced balls especially with the new cores. Several years ago it was hit or miss and getting the heavy side of the ball in the right spot so that the ball rolled as true as possible. There is a salt water test to check the balance of your ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypiL9ao90NM

i think that the percentage of the golfing population who wants the line on the ball is relatively small. I'm sure some don't care, but as evidenced in this thread there are people who would prefer fewer marks, not more. even among those that do want the line, they probably want it in some particular place based on balance, spine, logo, or something even more specific. Golf ball manufacturers want to sell to as many people as possible. So, I think they just put the necessary marketing stuff on them and leave it at that.

Personally, the provided alignment tool is enough for me, if I even use it. That can vary depending on the day. If I'm really feeling the putter that day I'll go ahead and line it up. Other days... I'm just happy if it doesn't run off the green.

Why no retail ball with alignment mark?

At least one of the online sites offers an additional alignment line...ID Align, I think they call it. I've bought them when on sale. It's available for all ball lines.
sujyqeha.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer an alignment mark on my ball, and make sure to use it for my putts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just saw for the 1st time a commercial for this Kix ball.

tourz-golf-ball.jpg

47_1_.jpg

Back