Wrist positions in golf swing

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I struggle with wrist position especially cupping left wrist. What swing aides or instructional videos best teach proper wrist motion. Lessons on the horizon looking for something to start the process.

I was just discussing this last night with someone. I don’t think it’s physically possible for me to get my right (trail) wrist in the position many of the best ball strikers get theirs in. It just doesn’t bend that far.

As for your lead wrist if you want some immediate feedback without spending any money shove a credit card in your glove so that it rests partly on your wrist and partly on the top of your left hand. If it digs in your hand on the backswing then you cupping.

What type of grip do you have? I know when I had a much weaker grip cupping my left wrist was just going to happen. Moving to a stronger grip helped that immensely.

Seriously the only difference between my swing and few others is them being able to bow their wrist. I can't. It doesn't have that mobility. I can force it to lay off a bit, but it gets sore in a hurry and I'm 99% sure it would get injured with any regularity.

I think one of the easiest ways to track your wrists through some of that is to do that practice swing with an alignment stick extended out from the club.

The old “ruler stuck behind the watch band” technique has been around for ages. I think you could probably get the same effect with the credit card in the glove approach mentioned by That post above.

This has been difficult for me, but has actually improved a lot. The swing thought that worked for me was feeling like I was revving a motorcycle with my left hand. What feels very bowed is actually flat (for the most part).

This has been difficult for me, but has actually improved a lot. The swing thought that worked for me was feeling like I was revving a motorcycle with my left hand. What feels very bowed is actually flat (for the most part).
I’m not sure if it’s because I have my thumb in the wrong position on my lead hand or if I just have thumb issues but when I try to do this revving move the pressure on my lead thumb is way to uncomfortable to want to continue doing it. It’s probably the strong grip.

Yeah, feel definitely isn't real. Have to get that on camera. I bow my wrist, and this past season it has flattened out, but I never would have been able to tell without seeing it on video

I’m not sure if it’s because I have my thumb in the wrong position on my lead hand or if I just have thumb issues but when I try to do this revving move the pressure on my lead thumb is way to uncomfortable to want to continue doing it. It’s probably the strong grip.

Interesting. My grip is definitely more on the stronger side. Everyone is different though.

Yeah, feel definitely isn't real. Have to get that on camera. I bow my wrist, and this past season it has flattened out, but I never would have been able to tell without seeing it on video

I feel I could write a whole article on video showing me my brain’s numerous failures :ROFLMAO:

I’d read that article @Hawk as someone that takes a lot of video it always blows my mind when I see certain stuff.

Back