XP 105 or C-Taper Lite?

TC44

Reaction score
Handicap
I have decided to get a set of Apex Pro 16s. Absolutely love the look and feel, plus consistency and forgiveness.

My honeymoon with the Steelfibers is not over (I will likely keep them for future...) but going straight in with them instead of tip weighting was a mistake as they weigh out at C-9 and that combined with the shaft weight drop from 120g to 95g has been a struggle at times. I went back to my Apex Pro 14s with KBS Tours for a couple rounds and instantly got back in the groove but my elbows told me again that lighter shafts are my future.

I want to try light steel with a swing weight of D2 and am itching for some new sticks. I have demoed most of the available options and have narrowed it down to the XP 105 and the C-Taper Lite. Problem is I have only been able to demo the CTL in the MP 25. Performance seems similar but for me the XP 105 has a much smoother feel along with higher flight (higher than I am used to; 7 iron launching at 20 degrees). I am thinking of bending the 5-9 irons one degree strong to bring the flight down and also match the specs of the AP14 irons. The flight of the CTL was more what I am used to but they feel a bit harsh and I am not sure if the 10g drop from the Tours will give me the elbow relief I need.

The right thing to do would be to hold off until a Callaway demo day comes around so I can hit the AP16 with the CTL but I am not sure I have the will power! Go for the 105s?

I haven't tried those shafts but I absolutely love the feel of my 2013 X-Forged with the Project X PXI shaft which weighs from 108 grams to 112 depending on the flex. They feel smooth and launch the ball on a high but penetrating ball flight. They came stock from Callaway at D-2. If those aren't a consideration then I'd suggest the 105 shafts since you mentioned your elbows and I've heard from a few people KBS shafts feel quite stiff.

Back