Mizuno Signs Chris Wood

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Mizuno announced today that a period of iron testing with English talent Chris Wood has developed into a long term equipment agreement. The 2009 PGA European Tour Rookie of the year has signed a multi-year agreement to play the Japanese manufacturer's renowned Forged irons.

Twenty-two year old Wood turned professional after finishing tied for 5th at the 2008 Open Championship and is regarded as one the game's finest young talents. In a short professional career Wood has risen into the world's top 75 rankings and came within a shot of a playoff for the 2009 Open Championship.

Since turning professional Wood has remained independent from any equipment commitments, preferring a free choice of equipment. Andy Kikidas, European Mizuno Tour Operations Manager commented, "It was important that Chris Wood was comfortable playing our irons before we discussed a contract. We sent a set of MP-62's and MP-68's to try back in September - he ended up combining them in one set. Chris has a slight cavity in his MP-62's of which he'll play the 3/4 iron and a purer muscleback MP-68 from 5 iron through to pitching wedge. He's found that it gives him a nice balance of shotmaking throughout the set with just a touch more forgiveness in the longer irons.

Wood was delighted to follow a long line of Major winners in his association with Mizuno. "I hadn't played Mizuno irons until the workshop made me two sets to try at the back end of the season. I was very impressed - I could have put both the MP-62 and MP-68 straight into play straight out of the box. In the end I went with a split of both sets.

"I've been using the irons ever since, so signing with Mizuno feels like a natural step. The Tour is still new to me, so having Mizuno's experience to call on will be a big help. The Mizuno workshop will be at all the major events and the technicians are second to none. I think they can really add something to my game."

Wood joins a number of Mizuno contracted players including Luke Donald, Jonathan Byrd, and Jeff Overton.

Awesome. I liked the kid when I first saw him last year, and I've always been a fan of Mizuno.

• Admin
Awesome. I liked the kid when I first saw him last year, and I've always been a fan of Mizuno.

JL,
Im with you, I think this kid has a huge future ahead of him.

Back