ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
Wished it were I, but no such luck. This is THE ultra-exclusive course (and supposedly the hardest) in the country. One friend we were out to dinner with this evening played it this week. He's 7.8 on GHIN and shot a 90 there--they told him that was great. Only two sets of tees--whites and tips. Rated 155 and 158, respectively.

Friend told me about a "typical" par 3. Uphill, with a forced 210 yard carry over a chasm and no safe place to land outside of a 3 x 3 spot on the green. That sort of stuff.

Okay, I'm glad it wasn't I. That would just beat the heck out of me. But he'd go back in a heartbeat.

Wished it were I, but no such luck. This is THE ultra-exclusive course (and supposedly the hardest) in the country. One friend we were out to dinner with this evening played it this week. He's 7.8 on GHIN and shot a 90 there--they told him that was great. Only two sets of tees--whites and tips. Rated 155 and 158, respectively.

Friend told me about a "typical" par 3. Uphill, with a forced 210 yard carry over a chasm and no safe place to land outside of a 3 x 3 spot on the green. That sort of stuff.

Okay, I'm glad it wasn't I. That would just beat the heck out of me. But he'd go back in a heartbeat.

I saw a documentary about that course. It's supposed to be absurdly hard, and a 155 rating backs that up.

I can't remember what the show was (maybe it was one of those TGC "Top 10" shows or maybe it was when Byron Nelson passed away), but they had clips from a Shell's Wonderful World of Golf with Byron Nelson and Gene Littler. I seem to recall that they both struggled. Especially on one hole with a gnarly waste area.

EDIT: Golf Digest ranks it as the #1 Greatest Golf Course in America.
http://www.golfdigest.com/rankings/courses/greatest/2007/100greatestcourses_gd200705

Friend of mine I refer to is a member there since last year. I had an invite but unfortunately couldn't do it. I'm hoping for another soon. He was telling me how insanely difficult it was. He also said he was at a members event witha who's who of golf and politics. He played with Brad Faxon I believe(coming off his injury). This guy also belongs to Baltusrol. Lucky SOB.

Friend of mine I refer to is a member there since last year. I had an invite but unfortunately couldn't do it. I'm hoping for another soon. He was telling me how insanely difficult it was. He also said he was at a members event witha who's who of golf and politics. He played with Brad Faxon I believe(coming off his injury). This guy also belongs to Baltusrol. Lucky SOB.

I need better friends!

I am lucky. I know 2 members at Baltusrol (I'll be playing there next Wed) one in Pine Valley and one in Plainfield.

Very cool. Now you just need a bud at Liberty National, and maybe Hamilton Farms.

I plan to visit the U.S. (2nd time ever) within the next 12 months. It's good to see everyone's reviews in case there's the chance of a game when I'm there. :)

I plan to visit the U.S. (2nd time ever) within the next 12 months. It's good to see everyone's reviews in case there's the chance of a game when I'm there. :)

Let us know destination/plans--we'll help!

Spoke to my contact at Pine Valley today and he mentioned said we'll go play there when the weather gets nicer.:alien2: Can't wait.:banana:Better practice.:golf:

Spoke to my contact at Pine Valley today and he mentioned said we'll go play there when the weather gets nicer.:alien2: Can't wait.:banana:Better practice.:golf:

can I come?

can I come?

I heard they have savage attack dogs that eat anyone who doesn't belong there......sure you can come, I'll sneak you in.

I heard they have savage attack dogs that eat anyone who doesn't belong there......sure you can come, I'll sneak you in.

yes! that would be a dream come true to play there...

I've played three courses in the top 100 in the world... looking to knock a few more off

yes! that would be a dream come true to play there...

I've played three courses in the top 100 in the world... looking to knock a few more off

Sorry, I didn't mean to get your hopes up. I was kidding, in reality, it's taken me over a year of referrals to this contact and I'm JUST making it. Without that I'd be eaten by those attack dogs.:beat-up:

Sorry, I didn't mean to get your hopes up. I was kidding, in reality, it's taken me over a year of referrals to this contact and I'm JUST making it. Without that I'd be eaten by those attack dogs.:beat-up:

I knew... officially a jealous man here!

PLay Pine Valley of the South near Pinehurst.

www.tobaccoroadgolf.com

Take a look at the pics, I can promise you from the tips it is all you want and then some and the layout/design is very reminiscent of Pine Valley. I played the Valley back when I was a good golfer carrying a +2.3 handicap. I do not want to say what I shot but it is damn hard. I did not fare much better at Tobacco Road but hit the ball much better there.

If yo do not have the connections to get in(which I used to have) playing Tobacco Road is a damn good substitute.

Well, the wait is over. Saturday is the day. Pine Valley here I come.:blob::banana::alien2:

We want a picture or two Gary.

I'm going to bring a camera. I hope there wont be a problem using it. I'm going to a member guest tomorrow and will practice Fri as well. Apparently I'll be playing with a well known instructor the member knows, but he didn't say who. Should be interesting.

I'm going to bring a camera. I hope there wont be a problem using it. I'm going to a member guest tomorrow and will practice Fri as well. Apparently I'll be playing with a well known instructor the member knows, but he didn't say who. Should be interesting.

I hope the course is all dried out for you!

Back