Why am I doing this? Weird movement at top.

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
Amollerud,

I'm absolutly positive this little movement I am making in my backswing can affect my ball flight. I would just like a little insight on that and why this is happening.

Sorry the video is so dark, but the part where I am having trouble is easy to see. If you go slow motion during the backswing, you can see I bring the club back on one path, and at the top of my swing, quickly alter my shoulders and upper body to bring it down on another, you can see a quick movement I make right at the top, if you look close enough, you should see it.

If you do: what is causing this? What can it effect, and how can I fix it?

here is the video: http://www.swingacademy.com/swinganalysistool.aspx?id=2218 I posted an analysis myself just to direct you to what I am talking about, if you take a look at it, you'll get the idea.

Thank you so much.

Dent that is a classic "over the top" move when you start the downswing with the shoulders instead of the hands. When you are making practice swing and when you get to the range I want you to take the club to the top and stop. From there I want you to feel like there is an elastic band from the butt of the club to the ball on the ground. I want you to feel like you start the downswing by pulling the butt of the club towards the ball. This will help to drop the right elbow into your side and help deliver the club on the same plane. I hope that makes sense and let me know if you need some additional info on this move.

I'm glad Dent posted this.

Thanks for the response amollerud, the pro at my local course thinks that is my problem as well, starting the downswing with my shoulders. When I get a chance I'll work on the technique you described. If there is any additional drills I would be interested in hearing those.

Dent that is a classic "over the top" move when you start the downswing with the shoulders instead of the hands. When you are making practice swing and when you get to the range I want you to take the club to the top and stop. From there I want you to feel like there is an elastic band from the butt of the club to the ball on the ground. I want you to feel like you start the downswing by pulling the butt of the club towards the ball. This will help to drop the right elbow into your side and help deliver the club on the same plane. I hope that makes sense and let me know if you need some additional info on this move.

Thanks amollerud for the info again. I greatly appreciate it. I will try this drill when I get to the range, When I am doing this drill, so I can fully understand, should I kind of drop the butt end as if I'm trying to aim the butt end of the club at the ball on the downswing? I know it really doesnt make sense when I explain this, but that's what I think you mean?

Also just so I know what can happen because of an over the top swing: What can this type of swing result in? Big slice? Shank?

Dent I want you to feel like you drop the hands and the butt of the club is being pulled at the ball. This should help you find the slot on the way down. To answer the other question the typical shot with this move is a pull or a pull hook. If you hold on through impact you can get a bit of a cut but not much. That type of move resuults in lower shots that 98% of the time are left of the target.

Dent I want you to feel like you drop the hands and the butt of the club is being pulled at the ball. This should help you find the slot on the way down. To answer the other question the typical shot with this move is a pull or a pull hook. If you hold on through impact you can get a bit of a cut but not much. That type of move resuults in lower shots that 98% of the time are left of the target.

Thanks for the tip amollerud, I just got back from the range, and I didn't feel myself over the top at all.

It's funny you mention that it is a low pull or hook. or left of the target. It must have just been a onetime thing. I must have not done it today because I didn't have any shots that were pulls. If anything right of my target.

That is great Dent. Like I said earlier....for better players little things jump in from time to time and if we go back to checking a few basic things it gets straightened out in a hurry. Glad to hear things are coming around.

Back