SprayTech

Reaction score
I have been watching TGC and they have been showing this weeks golf tournament in 3D and was wondering if any one has gotten into the HYPE of 3d TV ?

Have had some friends go the the movies to see 3D movies and its kind of a split decision on good or bad , some that wear glasses say they have splitting headaches after wearing the glasses & seeing the show , so beings I wear glasses I have not had the desire to go to a 3D show .

I have a 63" Plazma TV and watch sports in HD & think its pretty darn good watching !

What are peoples thoughts ?

GG and I have been talking about this. The problem is that rumor has it, 3 years from now we will see 3D sets where glasses are not needed. Supposedly the technology is there and integration is being worked on. I was an early adopter in HDTVs and dont want to make that mistake again I dont think, but after trying out the 3D stuff recently, it is pretty darn cool.

Playing golf today with someone from the Golf Channel and he took it for a test drive yesterday for some internal coverage and I am going to be asking a lot of questions.

Okay, I am pretty big on tech, so maybe my opinion is worth something.

3d is in its infancy as far as television goes. However, in the near future, we will see much improvement, to the point, as JB said, that glasses will be a thing of the past. If you want proof, look at the Nintendo 3DS that is coming out. It is a hand-held, 3D, glasses-less gaming system. If that does not tell you how quickly tech is advancing, IDK what will.

If I were you, I would wait. Quite honestly, the 3D picture is not THAT amazing right now. However, this may change. Give it a year or two, check whats on the market then. Just MHO.

Okay, I am pretty big on tech, so maybe my opinion is worth something.

3d is in its infancy as far as television goes. However, in the near future, we will see much improvement, to the point, as JB said, that glasses will be a thing of the past. If you want proof, look at the Nintendo 3DS that is coming out. It is a hand-held, 3D, glasses-less gaming system. If that does not tell you how quickly tech is advancing, IDK what will.

If I were you, I would wait. Quite honestly, the 3D picture is not THAT amazing right now. However, this may change. Give it a year or two, check whats on the market then. Just MHO.

I agree with everything except this. After a short test drive of a sporting event and a movie, I was pretty darn impressed.

Yeah, it is cool, but trust me, it WILL get better. The marketed tech that is available right now will be light years behind what will be available by the end of 2012. If you are okay with upgrading again, then by all means, buy one, but the budget concious person will wait. I don't really even see 3D programing being terribly widespread until at least the end of this year. Look at how long it took for HD to spread, and then BOOM, 180 channels. The TVs will also get better, and less expensive.
I agree with everything except this. After a short test drive of a sporting event and a movie, I was pretty darn impressed.

I will say this though- If you want to go ahead and get a 3D, I would go with the Viera Full HD model. The 3D is great, and the 2d is simply stunning. Quite pricey though.

Yeah, it is cool, but trust me, it WILL get better. The marketed tech that is available right now will be light years behind what will be available by the end of 2012. If you are okay with upgrading again, then by all means, buy one, but the budget concious person will wait. I don't really even see 3D programing being terribly widespread until at least the end of this year. Look at how long it took for HD to spread, and then BOOM, 180 channels. The TVs will also get better, and less expensive.

I have no doubt that it will get better. But like HDTV, how much is very interesting. Going from 1080i to 1080p which is what took place (for the most part) in viewing pleasure over those years is virtually unnoticeable to the naked eye from many distances. While integration went to new levels and some components got better, I find the pictures to be very similar and I believe that we will see the same in 3d.

Honestly, unless you are a videophile like me, I do not think there will be a huge difference in actual picture quality, though I do believe sharpness will take a pretty good step forward (this is my main complaint with 3D, it just looks a little fuzzy). However, the ease of use/access for most people will definatley improve. Enough, I think, to warrant the extra wait, but as I said, this is just my opinion. Ultimatley, it is up to what you think is important. If you want the best, go ahead and get it now, but be prepared to upgrade after it is obsolete. Just ask the people who bought HD-DVD players how that feels...

I have no doubt that it will get better. But like HDTV, how much is very interesting. Going from 1080i to 1080p which is what took place (for the most part) in viewing pleasure over those years is virtually unnoticeable to the naked eye from many distances. While integration went to new levels and some components got better, I find the pictures to be very similar and I believe that we will see the same in 3d.

Oh I am not interested to much in the 3D right now , as I had gotten into the Surround Sound big time when it was in its infancy ( had 3 amps , 1 decoder , and a bunch of other boxes to make it work ) and then 4 channel , 5 channel , then 6 channel single units , ect.... , then 5-6 months you were out dated . I have 4 grand in Klipsch speakers .... LOL !!
My $1700 THX surround receiver went kapoot about 2 years ago and I never replaced it so I dont get into the HYPE anymore , I will change when its more Prudent , say when most channels go to 3D :D

Not saying it will not get better , just asking if anyone bought into they hype right now .

Just ask the people who bought HD-DVD players how that feels...

Just my opinion, but that is not really a fair comparison. Going in to HD-DVD, people knew there was a separate platform coming out and people had to choose. With the 3D technology, obsolete will not be an issue. More about convergence than everything else. Someone buying a 3D TV now will not have an obsolete machine in 3 years like HD-DVD or Laser Disc.

Into the hype? Ummm. Hmm. I guess my thing is, I know it will be good. It IS good, but I know it will be better. It isn't an "I think", it is a firm "I know". Therefore, I am content to wait.

Oh I am not interested to much in the 3D right now , as I had gotten into the Surround Sound big time when it was in its infancy ( had 3 amps , 1 decoder , and a bunch of other boxes to make it work ) and then 4 channel , 5 channel , then 6 channel single units , ect.... , then 5-6 months you were out dated . I have 4 grand in Klipsch speakers .... LOL !!
My $1700 THX surround receiver went kapoot about 2 years ago and I never replaced it so I dont get into the HYPE anymore , I will change when its more Prudent , say when most channels go to 3D :D

Not saying it will not get better , just asking if anyone bought into they hype right now .

I see your point, bad comparison. The old machine will not be, for all intents and purposes, obsolete. However, they simply will be a good ways behind the stuff we will have in three years. Far enough behind to be obsolete? I don't know, but probably not. Far enough behind that you will want to upgrade? Almost definately. Kinda like having an older computer... But maybe I need to stop with comparisons, hehe.

Just my opinion, but that is not really a fair comparison. Going in to HD-DVD, people knew there was a separate platform coming out and people had to choose. With the 3D technology, obsolete will not be an issue. More about convergence than everything else. Someone buying a 3D TV now will not have an obsolete machine in 3 years like HD-DVD or Laser Disc.

I see your point, bad comparison. The old machine will not be, for all intents and purposes, obsolete. However, they simply will be a good ways behind the stuff we will have in three years. Far enough behind to be obsolete? I don't know, but probably not. Far enough behind that you will want to upgrade? Almost definately. Kinda like having an older computer... But maybe I need to stop with comparisons, hehe.

Maybe, behind, but I have to say that we have a 1080p 55" HDTV, and 3 1080i HDTVs in other rooms and they all work absolutely perfectly. You still cannot display a picture better than is being sent to the processor.

Again, comparing it to computers is another analogy that just does not fit. Sure computers are getting faster processors to handle more bigger tasks and larger graphical loads, but the feeds of video on a tv are native and do not have the same background. Hence the reason plasma, which many believe is inferior) in video is still a top choice of many videophiles because of the deeper black color. Yet it is considered an "older" technology (comparing to LED, LCD, etc)

Well its like anything in electronics , you buy the latest and greatest and in 3 months you are out of date .
Its why I have not gotten into the 3d right now , as I have spent tens of thousands of dollars in surround over a 20 year period and yes it was all hype when it came out , so I bought into the hype , now anyone can get into surround for less then a thousand dollars and have a real good system !
So who knows where 3D will be in 20 years ?? I think I will wait as my HD plazma does just fine .

I use a 1080i in my room. Not a huge difference, but it is there. I won't get in to the Plasma v. LCD v. LED, because personally, I much perfer OLED (absolutley gorgeous, if you have not seen it)

As I said, it boils down to what your funds and priorities are. If you have to have the best, it is there. If you are more budget concious, IMO, the better idea is to wait.

I'd love to give 3D a go but I'm not wearing special glasses to watch it......

I don't think that was the biggest improvement in HDTV but the refresh rates are what has gotten a ton better. When I got my first HD tv it had a 60 Hz refresh rate, my new TV has a 120Hz rate, which is much much better. I think people get too caught up in 1080p, which you don't need if your tv is under 42", its the refresh rate that truly matters especially if you like to watch sports and action movies. As for the 3D tv's that are out now I would never buy one. They are cool and all, but you have to wear those glasses and you only get 2-3 of them depending on the tv so if you have buddies over you wouldn't have enough glasses to use it. Plus I like to have sports on while I do stuff around the house, dishes cleaning ect... I'm not going to walk around with those glasses on my face.

I don't think that was the biggest improvement in HDTV but the refresh rates are what has gotten a ton better. When I got my first HD tv it had a 60 Hz refresh rate, my new TV has a 120Hz rate, which is much much better. I think people get too caught up in 1080p, which you don't need if your tv is under 42", its the refresh rate that truly matters especially if you like to watch sports and action movies. As for the 3D tv's that are out now I would never buy one. They are cool and all, but you have to wear those glasses and you only get 2-3 of them depending on the tv so if you have buddies over you wouldn't have enough glasses to use it. Plus I like to have sports on while I do stuff around the house, dishes cleaning ect... I'm not going to walk around with those glasses on my face.

Here's a good chart to compare when you start noticing the differences between 480, 720 and 1080.

resolution_chart.jpg

I took my daughter to a couple of 3D movies last year and left the theater both times felling kind of queasy. I think I'll skip the HD tv, as it is, half the programming on makes me want to lose my lunch without the technology having the same effect

Until the 3d tech is glasses-less we won't upgrade. How am I supposed to lay down on the couch to watch a show or movie while wearing bulky glasses? No thanks.

Until the 3d tech is glasses-less we won't upgrade. How am I supposed to lay down on the couch to watch a show or movie while wearing bulky glasses? No thanks.

I agree, can't wait to see some of the 3D tech in smaller devices, like phones and tablets! But won't be getting a 3D tv until they go glassless!!!

I can honestly say that now that we picked up a 3D TV, I am wondering what we were waiting for. It is absolutely incredible and so far with 4 channels on Directv, it is a lot of fun to watch some of the stuff. Bring on the Masters.

I can honestly say that now that we picked up a 3D TV, I am wondering what we were waiting for. It is absolutely incredible and so far with 4 channels on Directv, it is a lot of fun to watch some of the stuff. Bring on the Masters.

are you taking reservations for Masters week down at THP HQ?:D

Very cool JB, few questions for ya.

1. What TV did ya go with?
2. Have you set up a sound system to compliment it?
3. If yes, how many channels? 5.1, 7.1?

Back