Heavy vs Light - what's your preference

kildaire

Left Handed Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
I recently discovered that I am a bigger fan of heavier clubs. Irons with steel shafts, heavieer hybrids, and now I am finding even more weight in my putter helps my game. My club guy recently tested me out with several putters and found that i perform better with the heavier flat stick. He added 50 grams of lead powder to my Sabertooth and wow what a difference. I love the weight and am putting so much better now. Which makes me beg the question why? I thought less weight was always better in golf clubs. Why do I like heavier clubs more??? Does anyone else out there find that they enjoy more weight to their clubs or is a lighter club a better option for you. Whats better for you heavier or lighter clubs and why?

Glad it worked out for you. I learned one major thing here. A putter fitting is just as important as getting a fitting for any of your other clubs.

For me personally, I like heavier clubs. Or at least, I like clubs that are heavy by today's standards. As I told my golf instructor, I don't like swinging feathers. So for instance, I still like my 2007 TM Burner, and I also like the Titleist D2, which is heavy by this years standard.

Why 'heavier' in terms of weight matters is that heavy tends to swing on plane better. That is the theory anyways. Boccieri Golf specifically makes 'heavy' clubs and their marketing is based on swinging on plane better. You can check them out here http://www.boccierigolf.com/ . You'll notice I test their heavy driver right now, so I'm not 'shamelessly' plugging them, I just know they have some interesting information on their site about 'heavy' clubs.

Putting wise my current putter is on the heavy side but I like it..just the feeling for some reason is better than the other two putters I have owned.

I would have never thought I would like heavier, but the Heavy Putter has changed my mind putter wise for sure. I always gamed putters in the 320/330 gram range forever (35 years) but switched this summer to the Heavy and I have never putted so well. Distance control is great.

With other clubs, I'm testing the Heavy Driver and I like the feel with the counterweight. I would really like to try the other clubs from Boccieri. I think they are on to something.

You are not alone, I prefer heavier clubs as well. My tendency with lighter clubs is to get too quick then leave the shot way out left.

I would agree thus far with the OP. Having recently rolled one of the Boccieri mid-weight putters I came away very impressed. I also just purchased a used 909 D2 and it feels quite a bit heavier than my Z-Star did and feels much better throughout the swing for me.

---
- Tappin' from my iPad!

I think White Rhino said it best when he told me, "Oh yeah. You like swinging them tree trunks."

In actuality my fitter gave me that recommendation since it keeps my hands quiet. Hard to disagree with her as my game has been steadily improving since that fitting.

I am a light weight guy, especially when it comes to putters. I trust my stroke, and feel lie I have much more control with a light weight putter than a heavy one. JMO

I like heavier clubs, because it forces me to slow my tempo down. I know I can't rush or I will never stand a chance at hitting a decent shot.

Balanced.

I hit the ball straighter and with more consistency with heavier clubs. My vote is for heavier.

I honestly don't notice if the clubs is balanced in my hands. I carry a heavy hybrid and an ultralite 3 wood and like them both.

I like Hawks comment above, and I'll say I just got my mitts on a Cleveland SL 290 driver and LOVE IT!

I typically go with a heavier club although my new driver is breaking a few barriers for me I think..

Irons, wedges, definitely need some weight to them.

is there anyway to make your irons heavier?

is there anyway to make your irons heavier?

Yep, add some lead tape to the back side of the head. I would get a fitting before going down that road though.

Lighter. Ever since I demoed the new Cleveland drivers, I have loved that feeling.

Though I'm hitting my irons well right now and they are pretty heavy (Mainly because they are 10 years old).

Heavier clubs help me control my tempo, I get too quick with a light club and can snap hook the heck out of it. I like a medium weight putter, too heavy and the ball goes nowhere for me or I hit it 10 feet past the hole, too light and I can't seem to control it as well.

I am a light weight guy, especially when it comes to putters. I trust my stroke, and feel lie I have much more control with a light weight putter than a heavy one. JMO

I thought the same thing. I was a never anything over 330 grams guy, but thanks to Mr. Boccieri I was able to get the Heavy Putter in my hands. When I pulled it out of the box, my first thought was NO way. But much to my surprise, the counterweight in the butt of the shaft offsets the heavier head weight to the point where it makes the stroke so smooth. I keeps things calm and makes for a super smooth stroke and the ball just slips off the face.

If you ever get the chance, give one of these putters a try. Like I said, I said never and now all I can say is, never say never.

Heavy- tempo thing here too

About 4-5 years ago I switched to my steel shafted G-10 irons, from graphite Callaway irons. I just could not feel any "heft" in the swing especially in the wedges and finesse shots required. So heavier for me is good, especially in the irons.

Seems to depend on the club. I've found that like lighter iron shafts (110ish raw) as it lets me feel the path of the club head more. In turn, I like heavier shafts in my woods (75-85) as it smooths out my tempo to match the irons and gives a little extra weight to what are usually pretty light clubs. I also like this setup as it keeps the feel more consistent across my whole set. It drives me bonkers picking up one club to the next and trying to remember how to swing it differently to get the best results.

Depends on the club for me. I like lighter driver and fairway woods. For irons, I don't like them heavy or light. In the middle I guess. Putters, I like them a little bit heavier.

I prefer heavier clubs. Thats way its easier for me to be smooth in my swing, its easier for me to feel where the clubface is and I feel that I can make a slower, smoother, easier to control swing and still get the same distance.

Back