Paintfill - How To ?'s

Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
Some of the paintfill is starting to flake on my irons, and I want to re-do it, but in a different color.

What kind of paint to use?

Surface prep?

Tips, tricks, suggestions, obscene remarks?

I have always used acryllic paint and a tooth pick.

Some of the paintfill is starting to flake on my irons, and I want to re-do it, but in a different color.

What kind of paint to use?

Surface prep?

Tips, tricks, suggestions, obscene remarks?

Hey Gummi, I tell my wife that if the paint is starting to flake it's time for a new set of clubs.:lying:

Something like Testor's model paint?

That's what I was thinking, but never used it on metal (only plastic, when I was a kid)

Any reason for the acrylic over the enamel?

Hey Gummi, I tell my wife that if the paint is starting to flake it's time for a new set of clubs.:lying:

Good idea :banana:

Is there room on your couch, for when I break this to her?:D

Gummi-

It's incredibly easy:

• Get Testors paint (acrylic. it's more durable than enamel) from the local hobby store in the color(s) you want.

• Get the smallest paintbrush you can find. (Some people use toothpicks.)

• Get some paint thinner or acetone/nail polish remover.

• Clean the old paintfill out with the paint thinner or acetone/nail polish remover and let it dry completely.

• Paint the recessed areas where the paintfill goes. Don't worry about getting paint on the non-recessed areas.

• Once the paint is completely dry (even the paint that got "outside the lines"), fold a paper towel several times so that you have a flat, semi-thick, easy to hold surface. Douse a portion with paint thinner/acetone.

• Gently rub the paper towel over the club (it's sort of like gentle sanding) until the paint that is "outside the lines" is gone. It only takes a few seconds of wiping.
That's it. I do it with my irons every time the paintfill wears away.

Great info Harry

I hit up 2 hobby shops, a Wal-Mart, Target and Michaels. Only Michaels had model paint, and only enamel. Hopefully it'll hold up OK. I went wacky and got some metallic midnight blue, instead of boring old black. I'll post up how it turns out.

As a bonus, they were closing out the rubber band powered balsa wood planes and gliders, so I bought all they had. Twerpy and I now have something new to play with in the backyard!!!

enamel paint is what you want to use... acyrlic will not last as long

I am constantly switching out my paintfills...

2539729825_b40ac4099f_b.jpg

You gentlemen have entirely too much time on your hands! :female-fighter:

keeps me from buying clubs haha

I wish that were the case for me. I am constantly buying crap.

same but I try to trick myself into believing that... haha

I don't have time to paint my fingernails. I'd never bother with all that!

Back