Free Handicap Tracking Website?

brantabbitt

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone have a good (free or cheap) website where I can track my handicap?

Digital Divot is free and works well.

While your here, head over to the check in desk and introduce yourself to the group.

+1 on oobgolf.com

Except since it takes your best 10 out of your last 20 rounds, I think it should count a minimum of 10 rounds, if possible. It only counts your best 1 out of 6, 2 out of 8, 3 out of 9, 4 out of 11 (or something similar). Maybe they all do that, but I think it makes your handicap better than it should be.

Your real USGA HCP is calculated on your best 10 out of the last 20 and they only count so many of your rounds until you reach 20. Sounds like OOB is doing it right. Plus they just implemented ESC recently. It's a nice feature, but if you were using before the last couple of months or so, they did not take ESC into account and it can affect your HCP.

I use Digital Divot

klaymon -

I think they are doing it right too, I just don't agree with what "right" is. IMO they should count every round you have for 10 rounds, then after 11 they drop your worst round, after 12 they drop your worst 2, all the way to 20. Someone could have one good round then 5 that they shot WAY over the first round, yet their handicap is based on that one good round. I do not like ESC, I think if you shoot a 13 on a hole it should count in your handicap. One bad hole is not going to change your handicap much in the long run, especially since they only take half of 20 scores.

I'm just complaining about how it's done, not that they are doing it wrong. But if I were doing it, I'd do it differently!

I don't enter any tournaments where handicap matters anyway. (Well, I haven't YET).

Stracka.com is very good easy to use as well as indepth if you want.

Handicap question?

Handicap question?

My handicap is at a 7.4 index at the moment but I believe that handicap is too low. I believe this because I've only posted 2 scores below my handicap (6.1 & 7.1). I guess what my question is .... is this normal???:confused2:

p.s. I use greenskeeper.org to track my handicap.

Thanks

Keep posting scores and once you get more in there it will get to normal.

Keep posting scores and once you get more in there it will get to normal.

i have 25ish scores posted.... still not enough:confused2:

My handicap did not really level out until I hit about 40 scores way back when. However I use GHIN and I am not sure how all of the other programs work.

Should be - what are your other scores? Perhaps there is a glitch in the program.

I don't understand - and this isn't directed only at you - the purpose of having a handicap, but not getting a USGA handicap. If the USGA isn't certifying it - then it doesn't mean anything.

The USGA GHIN system, and any calculators using that forumla, only use the lowest 10 of the last 20 posted scores. The formula then reduces the average of those 10 differentials by another 4%, so your index will always be lower than your scoring average. Your handicap is supposed to show your scoring potential, and you should only match or better your handicap about 25% of the time. If you beat your handicap more than that, then it will drop lower to bring it back into that average.

Last edited:
My handicap is at a 7.4 index at the moment but I believe that handicap is too low. I believe this because I've only posted 2 scores below my handicap (6.1 & 7.1). I guess what my question is .... is this normal???:confused2:

p.s. I use greenskeeper.org to track my handicap.

Thanks

I've constantly seen you posting scores of 74. I use greenskeeper as well. 25 scores is way more than enough. Are you playing little goat tracks? Or an easy course, because with a bunch of 74's you should be playing lower than a 7.4

Should be - what are your other scores? Perhaps there is a glitch in the program.

I don't understand - and this isn't directed only at you - the purpose of having a handicap, but not getting a USGA handicap. If the USGA isn't certifying it - then it doesn't mean anything.

I think it's cost. There's a bunch of free handicap systems. I kept mine on the GLMS for awhile, but our club requires a GHIN handicap for most events. So I get to pay for that. Plus, the systems don't talk to each other, so I got to print out my scoring record and enter it, score by score, into GHIN. Gotta love it.

The formula should be the same no matter who does it. I keep my handicap on Excel. It isn't official, but I don't need an official one anyway. Certainly don't need to pay for one.

To the OP -- make sure the course rating and slope are correct in the system you are using. If they are not, it would throw the number off. 25 scores is more than enough to get a good number. The handicap system uses the lowest 10 of your last 20 so it is what it is. Once a score is not in the last 20 entered it doesn't even look at it anymore. So in your case scores 21-25 don't figure into the number at all.

I've constantly seen you posting scores of 74. I use greenskeeper as well. 25 scores is way more than enough. Are you playing little goat tracks? Or an easy course, because with a bunch of 74's you should be playing lower than a 7.4

Yes Dent I do play a relatively easy course. It has a course and slope rating of 68.0/115 .... still I don't feel like I'm that good to warrant a 7.4 handicap. Maybe I'm being to hard on my self:bulgy-eyes:

If you are shooting 74 on that slope rating, a 7.4 seems to be about right. Actually it should be a little lower if my math is correct.

If you are shooting 74 on that slope rating, a 7.4 seems to be about right. Actually it should be a little lower if my math is correct.

ok. sounds good to me .... 7.4 it is:D

thanks for clearing that up!

I think it's cost. There's a bunch of free handicap systems. I kept mine on the GLMS for awhile, but our club requires a GHIN handicap for most events. So I get to pay for that. Plus, the systems don't talk to each other, so I got to print out my scoring record and enter it, score by score, into GHIN. Gotta love it.

That's it for me. I play ZERO events that require me to have an established, official handicap. Why would I pay for one? Seems they all use the same system, so they should all be fairly similar, although not "official."

Back