scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
...on low percentage shots?

I tend to, but then again I'm a mid/high hdcp. I've always loved the "super" or "cool" shots for some reason.

Now as I am truly improving and trying to get my game decent I am playing safer.

I thought maybe a thread on the type of shots you tend to " go for", I mean "GO FOR!!!", or just plain "FORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beat-up:

When I'm stuck behind a tree/s with a tiny gap..play safe? Heck no!
Can I manhandle that 3w and make it? This is where I'm starting to play smarter and to my swing for that day. If I'm groovin, then ya, if so-so, then I lay up.

Now if I am having a bad round, then there is no safe shot...so look out!

I'm a very conservative player. If I know I'm trapped behind a tree, I chip out. Now, there have been times, I thought I could bend a punch shot around one and ended up hitting the trunk, but that's just bad execution.

For a few weeks this year; when faced with a long shot and when behind a tree, but not locked, I got a horrible case of the shanks. Three different times in a few weeks I didn;t hit the ball maybe 2-4 swings! Hilraious! I was so sure I would pure it and possibly nail then tree I was afraid it would come back and hot me! Sure glad I got over those shanks, heck those aren't even shanks!

I'm pretty gutsy when it comes to shots... which makes it even more stressful because I have remained around a 6 and it seems its starting to go up. I'm a "go for it" guy more when it comes to greens and pin locations...

I cant avoid pin hunting, I find a lot of sandtraps

if it's my second shot on a Par 4 and i'm in trouble, i tend to play the hole as a par 5. however, as mentioned earlier, if i know my round is beyond hope, i become Carl Spackler, with a five iron in my hand.

If i'm playing in a tournament, i play it safe unless i really need to pull something off to turn in a good score. when im just playing for practice or fun i always go for it. i am very good at punching the ball out of the trees with a 3 iron. i can hook it around, hit a stinger, or a slice around trees. i guess i have had a lot of practice from days where my driver wasnt too hot

I am getting better at knowing when to go for it and when to pitch out. Today I didn't try any shots that might be considered "stupid", and shot my best round in over a month. Sometimes you gotta take a step back to move forward.

I am getting better at knowing when to go for it and when to pitch out. Today I didn't try any shots that might be considered "stupid", and shot my best round in over a month. Sometimes you gotta take a step back to move forward.

Wise words Smallville. It's all about course management.

I've learned from bitter experience about doing low percentage things like trying to cut a far-off corner with a long drive or trying to hit the green in two on a par 5 with a long 3 wood which has to carry a far-off water hazard to get there (etc).

The situation with the pros is much different to the weekend amateur. Also, when watching a tournament, take note of the day. Sometimes the reason a pro attempts a low percentage shot may be because it is day 4 & the pro is running out of holes to catch the leader(s).

Back