NorthVanMike

Reaction score
Handicap
i noticed at the last golf course i played, in the Pro Shop they were selling cans of oxygen. it was packaged in a dispenser the size of a shaving cream can, looking almost like a jumbo sized inhaler that asthma sufferers use. my question is would this be legal, USGA-wise?

anyways, i'm playing the same course sunday, i may give it a shot,see if one actually gets a boost or energy high from O2.

Oxygen Bars were all the rage in the early 90s. I dont think it really does anything for someone on the golf course. But who knows.

yah, but could a Pro playing a tournament take a hit of O2 before every shot? is there a link somewhere to the PGA's new drug policy anywhere? not just a general blurb about it,but a detailed summary.

I really do not know, and searching the USGA gave me little answers.

The first thing I thought of:

perriair0tv.jpg

And then I thought of this quote:

Oxygen gets you high. In a catastrophic emergency, you're taking giant panicked breaths. Suddenly you become euphoric, docile. You accept your fate. It's all right here. Emergency water landing - 600 miles an hour. Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows.

Not sure about the oxygen cans giving one an advantage, a can of "woop ass" does. lol.

found this:

14-3. Artificial Devices and Unusual Equipment
The United States Golf Association (USGA) reserves the right, at any time, to change the Rules relating to artificial devices, unusual equipment and the unusual use of equipment, and make or change the interpretations relating to these Rules.

A player in doubt as to whether use of an item would constitute a breach of Rule 14-3 should consult the USGA.

A manufacturer should submit to the USGA a sample of an item to be manufactured for a ruling as to whether its use during a stipulated round would cause a player to be in breach of Rule 14-3. The sample becomes the property of the USGA for reference purposes. If a manufacturer fails to submit a sample or, having submitted a sample, fails to await a ruling before manufacturing and/or marketing the item, the manufacturer assumes the risk of a ruling that use of the item would be contrary to the Rules.

Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an unusual manner:

* a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or
* b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or
* c. That might assist him in gripping the club, except that:
o (i) plain gloves may be worn;
o (ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturizing agents may be used; and
o (iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.

Exceptions:

1. A player is not in breach of this Rule if (a) the equipment or device is designed for or has the effect of alleviating a medical condition, (b) the player has a legitimate medical reason to use the equipment or device, and (c) the Committee is satisfied that its use does not give the player any undue advantage over other players.

2. A player is not in breach of this Rule if he uses equipment in a traditionally accepted manner.

so, i would say illegal unless i had a medical condition?

Back