Anthony Kim DQ'd for Playing an Altered Driver

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Not really a big deal, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1857797,00.html

Anthony Kim disqualified for using altered driver

SHANGHAI, China (AP) — Anthony Kim was disqualified Sunday from the HSBC Champions for playing with an altered driver.

Kim, a star in the United States' Ryder Cup victory over Europe two months ago, accidentally hit a sprinkler head as he tapped his driver on the ground while walking down the seventh fairway.

``I wasn't angry or anything, just walking down the fairway,'' Kim said. ``The toe hit the sprinkler, hit the top of the sprinkler, and I looked at it and it looked a little bit different. But I wasn't sure and I put it in my bag.''

At the eighth, he hit his first drive only 150 yards, and out of bounds. He then hit a second provisional shot - also poorly. He took a triple-bogey 8 on the hole and played two more before he found a rules official, who told him he must disqualify himself for playing with an altered club.

Kim was disqualified under rule 4-3b, said Andy McFee, European tour referee.

Kim had an 8-over 44 on the front nine, and parred the 10th hole. He entered the third round at 5 under - five strokes behind the leaders - with rounds of 66-73.

The HSBC Champions will be completed Monday after a delay caused by a rain washout on Friday and more rain on Saturday.

``I was pretty shocked,'' Kim said. ``But you know, the rules are the rules and I have no problem with that.''

In the last few weeks, Kim said he badly sprained his right ankle - falling down stairs at a friend's home - and also bruised his jaw while horseback riding.

Kim said he's played little golf in the last three weeks and has lived on a diet of noodles, unable to chew with the sore jaw.

Bruised his jaw while horseback riding? How the heck does he sit on a horse? I've ridden, and the only thing that hurt afterwards was my butt and my legs. Never my jaw - - - that's a new one on me!

Bruised his jaw while horseback riding? How the heck does he sit on a horse? I've ridden, and the only thing that hurt afterwards was my butt and my legs. Never my jaw - - - that's a new one on me!

Hijacking away here. This reminds me of the tag line for--oh gee, the Billy Crystal Dude Ranch movie. City Slickers. "Yesterday, they were businessmen. Today, they're cowboys. Tomorrow, they'll be walking funny."

Hijacking away here. This reminds me of the tag line for--oh gee, the Billy Crystal Dude Ranch movie. City Slickers. "Yesterday, they were businessmen. Today, they're cowboys. Tomorrow, they'll be walking funny."

Funny!

I suspect he had his left hand on the horn, right on the saddle, standing beside the horse trying to mount but standing too close (like a dope) when the horse jolted. A proper Texan knows how to mount a horse swiftly so this doesn't happen. And I'm not even a Texan!

That, or it was the beef jerky.

And this is something new and different because . . . ?

Of course not! Just fair warning for the newbies (or those particularly slow on the uptake, but I'm not naming names).

gosh that stinks. so he hit the sprinkler and it really messed up his driver?

He hit a sprinkler? Is that when he hurt his jaw?

teehee

How hard was he "tapping" his driver on the ground to do enough damage to it to get DQ'd? :confused2: If I'm "tapping" my driver on the ground I'm barely moving blades of grass let alone denting my driver.

Back