Nickent Arc Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So as many of you know I am reviewing the Arc Wedges and I really enjoy them. I have not decided if they will take the place of my Vokeys yet, but by the time the review comes out, the decision will be made. As you can see the face is milled for those that asked.

But I did get a lot of requests for shots of the wedge. As usual my photos stink but here is the wedge.

P1000079.jpg

P1000081.jpg

P1000086.jpg

• Admin
Adding one more thing to answer the additional questions. These wedges do spin the ball as much as my Vokeys and they too tear the cover off.

Do the three green dots signify anything about the lie angle?

• Admin
No, they are the ARC tech that is in the clubs.

OK, so I just noticed that they have a satin forged head coming out, and it's available with a Nippon shaft. (grrrr, that's sexy)

No, they are the ARC tech that is in the clubs.

Hmm, given the spin milled face, they look great. You have an interesting decision re them vs the Vokeys.

• Admin
OK, so I just noticed that they have a satin forged head coming out, and it's available with a Nippon shaft. (grrrr, that's sexy)

That is my favorite of the finishes they had.

Hmm, given the spin milled face, they look great. You have an interesting decision re them vs the Vokeys.

I put them head to head today. I have already made my decision I think.

I put them head to head today. I have already made my decision I think.

Well then, I admire your decisiveness - I think.
338.gif

I can elaborate from a non-technical view and say I dont get anymore distance out of them. But the feel is incredible. They are perfectly weighted to hit down on the ball and produce spin as well.

Brad - here's some info on the ARC (the green dots) One review I read likened it to 'corking' a baseball bat.

Thanks Gummi Bear. The technology looks very interesting & I'd love to have a hit with one. One issue perhaps. Given that everyone is different & wedges like putters are a very personal club, I noticed they don't have as many bounce options as a Vokey, for example. That might limit them for some people. http://www.nickentgolf.com/pr_arc_wedge2.shtml#specs

Vokey is now coming out with tons of bounce and I am sure that Nickent will too in the future. But the bounce they sent me was different than what I was used to and I had no issues at all.

Don't sweat the bounce so much. If your game is at the point that you know exactly what bounce you want on your wedges, you need to hire a master golfsmith to do your grinding.

Yes, there are plenty of online services where you can order them, but nothing is more valuable than the input from a pro, and having him grind them for you is a very cool experience (especially if he lets you watch, I dig watching a master at his craft)

i know this has come up before, but what exactly is the bounce? i know that you want a different bounce for tight lies than you would in the rough, but do you want a higher or lower for each?

Well then, I admire your decisiveness - I think.
338.gif

Brad... I tested them head to head against the Vokeys as well. I liked the head weight of the Arc's far better than the Vokeys.

I had never swung either one (but wanted too) before Saturday and I walked away being a fan of the Arc's.

They come in three different finishes (Matte, Satin, Gunmetal)... do either of these finishes rust?

i know this has come up before, but what exactly is the bounce? i know that you want a different bounce for tight lies than you would in the rough, but do you want a higher or lower for each?

Hope this helps:

"Measurement in degrees of the angle from the front edge of a club's sole to the point that actually rests on the ground at address. The middle or rear of many soles is lower than the front edge. Bounce is most commonly applied to wedges. More bounce will keep the club from digging too deeply into turf or sand.
The amount of bounce needed depends on conditions. If you play courses with soft, fluffy sand, you'll need more bounce. If the courses you play typically have harder sand, you'll need less bounce. Playing from fairway - less bounce.

The type of swing can influence the amount of bounce needed, too. Players who swing their wedges steeply into impact need more bounce. Players who sweep through and undercut need less bounce."

ok thanks. that helps

Here ya go, AK. Pay attention to the "A" dimension. Here's a picture of what TCT was explaining:

2ClevelandCG10Wedge.gif

Reactions: JB
another way to look at it is by analyzing your divots. if you have a shallow path and a small divot you a "sweeper" and hence should be more comfortable with a low bounce wedge. I, on the other hand, have a very steep angle and my divots are large. I have a "digger" swing type. All of my wedges are high bounce.

They come in three different finishes (Matte, Satin, Gunmetal)... do either of these finishes rust?

any metal can rust if not taken care of, even stainless

obviously if you care for your wedges and do not leave them in a wet, dark and damp garage they will be fine

ok i need high bounce then cuz i dig a ton with wedges

AK -

With your handicap where it is (freakin' amazing), it'd be money well spent to spend some time with a master golfsmith, and have him watch you, and make some notes on your striking of the ball. Talk to him, tell him what you're wanting, and let him go to work.

The bounce is only part of the equation. He'll look at your stance, and he can also adjust the camber (sharpness of the 'leading' lower edge), and can also fine tune the heel-toe bias. Like I mentioned previously, these guys are amazing once you find the right one.

I'm fortunate that the man I do my club buying from is a master, 40+ years in the trade, and a retired tour pro; so he really knows what he's looking for, and how to fix it in your swing. Spend some time with him, find the clubs that are a good match for you, and let him go to work fine tuning them for you.

Gummi
Good advice. The people we did a profile on at Dimension Z do just that, and they are things of beauty. These guys do full custom clubs for people. Not just fit to specs like most.

AK -

With your handicap where it is (freakin' amazing), it'd be money well spent to spend some time with a master golfsmith, and have him watch you, and make some notes on your striking of the ball. Talk to him, tell him what you're wanting, and let him go to work.

The bounce is only part of the equation. He'll look at your stance, and he can also adjust the camber (sharpness of the 'leading' lower edge), and can also fine tune the heel-toe bias. Like I mentioned previously, these guys are amazing once you find the right one.

I'm fortunate that the man I do my club buying from is a master, 40+ years in the trade, and a retired tour pro; so he really knows what he's looking for, and how to fix it in your swing. Spend some time with him, find the clubs that are a good match for you, and let him go to work fine tuning them for you.

sounds good. i have always looked into it, but i don't know how i would go about finding one. just a little sidenote/rant, i am now a stack and tilt player. i changed my swing on the range today and it added 5 more yards and my misshits were still hitting the green on short irons:banana:

Darn cool Ak! Now I'm jealous:>)

Back