JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a chance to check out their prized winning Merlot over this last weekend. Paloma is a small winery located on Spring Mountain and has been producing some of the best Merlot in the last 20 years. A few years back they were called Wine of the Year by Wine Spectator. In recent vintages, the wine has been equally good. If you ever have the opportunity to try some out, do yourself a favor and jump for it. This stuff is amazing and will go well with just about any food.

Not a big Merlot fan, but go find the Fianchetto 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon. Around here, it's $40/bottle, and that's cheap for how good it is.

• Admin
That is good stuff Claire, I am quite familiar. I can tell you that I am not a big Merlot fan either. But that was because I never realized how poorly most of them are made. I got a chance to meet famous wine maker Robert Foley of Pride Mountain fame and he got me going on how out of the US there are only about a dozen good Merlots. He was spot on in giving some recommendations.

Then I'll keep my eyes open.

My taste runs toward the great big-in your face wines. Too many Cabs have become more like cherry cough syrup, and I've been disappointed too often. So I'm drinking a lot more Shiraz and Syrah, in self-defense. There's a fabulous, fabulous Spanish wine called Clio. We bought a bunch at $35/bottle, before Wine Spectator found it. Now, if you can find it at all, it's through the roof. And we only have one bottle left, darn it all.

Okay, that's about all the showing off I can do. Any more discussion, and you'll expose how shallow my knowledge is.

• Admin
If you like wines big, I have a ton that you would like. You should also check out Super Tuscans for that matter. Dont let the name Petite Syrah fool you. Tons of great big wines to be had. You can check out a winery called Justin from Paso Robles. You can pick up their Cab for about $15 bucks. You will not be let down. Big Bold and usually great reviews as well.

My wife will tease me that I don't drink "real wine."
I drink white zin, lol.
But I won't turn down champagne. That would be the "real" champagne, the $100 abottle stuff, not the sparkling wine that thinks it's champagne! Although we drink that too, as I don't have the cash for real champagne!

• Admin
I dont get down on any wine drinkers, although I will say, I do not consider White Zin wine. However the champagne thing is so interesting. There are tons of great champagnes and sparkling wines that are inexpensive just because they are NV (non-vintage). I have always found it odd that Champagne can only be Champagne if it is from that region. But then again when discussing old world wines, they are based by region and not grape type.

Cava's good stuff, and in the summer time, I won't say not to that peach stuff.

Not a big Merlot fan, but go find the Fianchetto 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon. Around here, it's $40/bottle, and that's cheap for how good it is.

Same here hopefully soon...gotta lock down house first

Back