Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
For some reason every time I play on a day when it is incredibly slow, I cannot score. My body tightens up and it is all but over. Can anyone give me some pointers or ideas to stay loose and focused during the slow days?

Far be it for me to give a 4.1 handicapper golfing tips.

Having said that, I know what you mean. I've changed my style because of it.

What I mean is while I was waiting for slowpokes to clear the green or whatever, I would be having plenty of practice swings etc. Then when I'd go to hit the shot after a ton of excellent practice swings, I'd 'duff' the real shot.

Now I've decided to try & relax whilst waiting for the slow golfers to clear the way ahead & after they clear, I have my one or two practice shots & then take my real shot.

I've noticed my new approach works a bit better. With the old way, I think I'd get impatient & I wasn't relaxed taking the shot that counts. That was because I after a couple of practice swings I would feel ready to 'pull the trigger' & but the slow motion golfers in front of me would still hold me up. Result -=> getting more annoyed & not relaxed = less chance of hitting good shot.

Can anyone give me some pointers or ideas to stay loose and focused during the slow days?

Speed it up JB, I'm getting ready to hit into you. Get off the pot or get outta my way!:sinister:

For whatever reason, slow play doesn't bother me one bit. I use the time to:

• hunt for golfballs in the weeds (that never gets old, I've found all kinds of neat stuff; balls, clubs, panties, tools, snakes, etc)
  • chase the ducks
  • crack jokes with my partners
  • track down the cart girl
  • light up another cigar
  • eat a snack
  • clean up my scorecard, or tally the stats (I track my drives, irons, wedges, putts, FIR, GIR, and keep the stats)
  • help a partner find his ball (or mine quite often)

Saying snarky things about the playing abilities of the group in front helps a lot, too. :snicker:

As does analyzing each other's swing flaws.

I play with some real goofballs about half the time, so your snarky comment thing doesn't always have to apply to the group in front, I'm just as likely to get thrown under the bus by my own partners (them too)

• Admin
I wanted to bump this one back up to see what thoughts are as we get closer to golf season.

I dealt with slow play yesterday. And it was MY group! Jacqui and I got paired up with a couple of guys who were really bad and really slow! (Great fun guys though, but I wish they had played faster). A marshall came up to our cart (these 2 guys were across the fairway whackin' at their balls) and asked if we could let the group behind us through, as the hole in front of us was wide open. I said sure and apologized. Turns out the group behind us were off duty marshalls who just skipped the hole we were on and went ahead to the next hole. One of the guys in our group headed in after hole 7 and the other guy left after nine. We flew through the back nine and it still took over 5 hours to play!

• Admin
WOW. We had 4 yesterday and did nine in less than an hour and 45.

slow play is my standard of golf... and it has nothing to do with the way that I play. I like getting in early morning rounds to avoid the crowds but untimately I'll get either intoxicated the night before and sleep in, hence missing the early rounds. I don't mind a slow round if I am with good dudes. Now, keep in mind I am playing crap courses... when I encounter slow play a nice course I flip a lid.

I just try to stay loose... anyway possible

I don't know what their scores were, but they were definitely playing military golf. And most of the time, while they hit it a "decent" distance, because it was mostly sideways, they weren't advancing the ball much.

The funny thing was we stayed with them because until we got to that hole, we were waiting on the groups ahead of us too. So either they picked it up a lot or left the course because all of a sudden, no one was ahead of us.

walk...I tend to play better while walking as opposed to carting. I'm guessing the walking helps keep me warmed up.

walk...I tend to play better while walking as opposed to carting. I'm guessing the walking helps keep me warmed up.

same... nothing sucks more than having to tack another 18 bucks or so onto already overpiced green fees

same... nothing sucks more than having to tack another 18 bucks or so onto already overpiced green fees

I played a course last month where the green fee was $22 but the cart fee was $25. It can be ridiculous some times. I walk if ever possible.

sometimes carts are needed and it def picks up the pace... for instance, the course that I reviewed on the site (pinehills) is a GREAT golf course. In the summer time fee's run around 100 which include cart and range balls. now my friend and I are purists... so we asked if we could walk and I was surprised when we were allowed to. being a modern golf course we had to walk massive distances and up hills to get from green to tee boxes and it was tough... but since we keep the ball in play and are fast players we got around in time... but if we were struggling we would have been well behind

Slow play doesn't really bother me, unless I'm sandwiched between a slow group and a fast group. I don't mind waiting but I don't like to feel like I'm holding up the group behind me. One of the saving graces of playing weekdays with early morning tee times, a lot of the time I'm the first one out.

That is my goal MO. I like teeing on during the week at like 7am. I can finish a round in a twosome in a little over 2 hours. Its great

I'm looking to get in a few 36 hole days this year since the green fees are covered with the membership. Cart fee is $13, I figure even if they make me pay for the cart 2x's it can't be beat.

I like to play early too, but I get stuck with a slow round every now and then. I used to get all pissy and complain about it to whoever I was playing with. Now I use it as a chance to focus on concentrating, I light up a stogie and try and stay in the zone. I have problems staying focused.

I'm a weekday player myself since my schedule is really flexible and weekdays are just more relaxing to play. On the weekends its crowded and waits are inevitable. Which just leads me to drink more when playing which then translates to more lost balls.

At the pace I'm going I'm hoping to get about 30 rounds golf in this year also MO. Now if I get any better from all this practice is a whole another story.

The best remedy I have found for slow play is my pre-shot routine. I don't start it till group in front of me is out my way. What I do prior to starting my pre-shot routine can be anything. I might hit lob/flop shots. I might chip, and pitch a few short ones. Since I walk most of my rounds I might take the time to eat something. Anything to kill the minutes. One thing I don't do is dwell on the slow pokes in front of me. What's the point. Once I do start my pre-shot routine there is not much that will stop me from hitting the ball. :comp:

Somone here (I'm not going to check as I am on phone) about getting pissy and complaining to his playing partners... That used to be me as well and is something I MUST work on. I'll often complain about slow play and poor conditions... But now since I joined a local club whose course is below par in terms of conditions I must condition my brain to accept it. I mean, at least here in NE clubs are either 1000 memberships or 10k private clubs. So I'm doing the best I can... But I know I'll be dissapointed this year... I'm sad

Somone here (I'm not going to check as I am on phone) about getting pissy and complaining to his playing partners... That used to be me as well and is something I MUST work on. I'll often complain about slow play and poor conditions... But now since I joined a local club whose course is below par in terms of conditions I must condition my brain to accept it. I mean, at least here in NE clubs are either 1000 memberships or 10k private clubs. So I'm doing the best I can... But I know I'll be dissapointed this year... I'm sad

If it's going to be that bad why even do it? It sounds like you're already regretting your decision to join a club instead of playing tournaments. If you haven't paid yet, don't join, it doesn't sound like you're going to like it.

I agree or just save your money until you can join a club that you will be happy with.

I just deal with it, there is not much we can do. As far as staying loose, I really pay attention to my next shot and what I want to do so I can execute it perfectly.

On the flip side, taking my mind off the game always helps me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back