JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I currently use both and not only like both but also have issues with both. What are you guys using?

• Admin
I love the functionality of the Mac, but there is just not enough stuff out there software wise to make me completely switch.

I changed over to a Mac in January and am loving it!!!

• Admin
WHich one did you get?

WHich one did you get?

MacBook 13.3inch screen. 160 gig. A nice portable size. Fortunately/Unfortunately -> technology moves so fast it's already superseded!!!

• Admin
New ones just announced yesterday.

It's getting about that time for me to consider a new laptop, and I really like the look of the new MacBook and MacBook Pro, especially since they can now run Windows with BootCamp.

But they are WAY overpriced. I can get a comparable PC for 50% less (maybe more than that) than the price of the MacBook Pro.

And I keep hearing how much better Mac OS is, but no one can really articulate why.

• Admin
I would say to go into an apple store. They just had a price drop on last years Macbook to less than $1k. OSX is just an easy to use fabulous OS.

Ive got a Macbook at my house and a PC in my office. Im thinking about switching to an Imac in y office soon though.

It's getting about that time for me to consider a new laptop, and I really like the look of the new MacBook and MacBook Pro, especially since they can now run Windows with BootCamp.

But they are WAY overpriced. I can get a comparable PC for 50% less (maybe more than that) than the price of the MacBook Pro.

And I keep hearing how much better Mac OS is, but no one can really articulate why.

Why? It works.

Ditto to what Josh said. I'm so glad I stumbled into a Mac store in Jan this year. I had almost blindly bought a PC laptop with Vista [cue horrified look].

Have a look at the Mac ads on their website. As well as being hilarious, you can get the subtle message as to their benefits.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Whoa. I didnt say I was banishing my PC though. A PC will have a home here until 2 things happen.
1. Steve Jobs stops charging ridiculous amounts for his computers. THey are so overpriced it is insane. Similar to coming out with a $600 cell phone, and then 60 days later dropping the price to $300.
2. They open up the OS so software gets created.
I love my Mac, but wont continue to support them until those 2 things happen.

Whoa. I didnt say I was banishing my PC though. A PC will have a home here until 2 things happen.
1. Steve Jobs stops charging ridiculous amounts for his computers. THey are so overpriced it is insane. Similar to coming out with a $600 cell phone, and then 60 days later dropping the price to $300.
2. They open up the OS so software gets created.
I love my Mac, but wont continue to support them until those 2 things happen.

Oops, assumption over-run. Well I'll have to 'un-ditto' then. In Australia, I've noticed that Mac has dropped its prices dramatically in the last few years so that they're really good value.

Have you thought about parallels software on a Mac?

Yeah boot camp works too, but none work as well as just booting up a pc. There seem to be bugs. I love my mac, but it cannot replace the PC. Too many software choices still out there. And cost, is not even in the same ball park. Mac just came out with their first sub 1k notebook. PC can be had for half that.

Yeah boot camp works too, but none work as well as just booting up a pc. There seem to be bugs. I love my mac, but it cannot replace the PC. Too many software choices still out there. And cost, is not even in the same ball park. Mac just came out with their first sub 1k notebook. PC can be had for half that.

Well, I respect your choices JB.

On a personal note, to demonstrate some of the cool lifestyle things that I have experienced with Macs, I have bought the Time Capsule wireless backup & have my printer connected to it, so I can do wireless printing wherever I roam in the house. Also, I have an Airport Extreme connected to my Bose Wave, so I wirelessly can play itunes from my notebook to the Bose in the living room.

Now, I'm not a 'computer geek' so everyone will have to excuse me if I'm sounding a bit nerdy or if I'm waxing lyrical about fairly basic stuff. It's just that I'm excited to learn that they have the internet on computers these days. :D

I love Macs, but in fairness, that is because the only thing I really do is use the email and internet and an occasional spreadsheet.

Every since using a Mac back when I was getting my Graphic Design qualification, I have loved Mac's. They are more expensive then a PC but they just seem so easy to use. I just bought a 24" iMac. I can't stop looking at the screen, it's amazing :drool:

I've got PC's around me also. I've only ever used PC's. Mac has come out with some pretty nice things over the years but I just can't abandon my trusty old friend PC. Plus that Mac guy on the commercials seems so cocky. :smile-big:

I have a Mac laptop, and my family has an iMac for everyone to use. Both are great, easy to use, and don't take up much space. For me it is Mac for sure!

I used a Mac when I was in the Printing industry (G4 if I remember correctly). We used it for producing negatives in the plate room. I have never owned one; I have always had PC's.

PC's for me, although when I was shopping my new laptop I wanted to buy a Mac. They are just way overpriced in my opinion.

Vista hasn't started having problems yet, time will tell.

I'm bringing this back up, as I'm in need of a new computer and my current 4 year old PC is going to totally crash anyday now and I don't feel like upgrading it, so I'll format it and give to the kids.
About a year ago I bought a little Macbook strictly for recording my music and I've left it at that, though I have played around with it and enjoy it. Some things on a mac boggle my mid, I've looked aimlessly on how to do something, then come to find out...DUH, obviosuly right in front of me.
We have an older IMac in my classroom we use for making music and goofing off with video editing, actually having a half day seminar with an expert coming in January for my class.

I really don't run other software that much, so that shouldn't be a concern. MY concern of a total switch to Mac and not having a personal PC is...I love Microsoft office, but for nothing more than Word and Powerpoint for grad work. Will running those on a Mac be good enough you think?

Per personal use: music, plan on home video simple editing, and internet.

Sounds like I just typed myself into an iMac.

You can get office for Mac. It runs almost exactly the same.

The only problem I have found with Office Mac is that it has entourage instead of outlook, so I cant sink my phone between my PC in my office and my Mac at home. But every other powerpoint, excel and word document never seem to have problems.

Gasman, they have a few programs out there that help, but you are right. None of them work all that well.

Back