Mallet or Blade putter?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What are you guys playing and why?

I used a mallet style when I first started playing, now I use a blade style. I also prefer that the shaft attachs to the clubhead and not in a hosel.

• Admin
What are you playing with CM?

More of a mallet than blade -> Wilson Staff Kirk Currie IV. I was fitted for it by an ocular laser light fitting system. http://www.kirkcurrieputters.net/masterfit.html

This has been my first & only putter since I've seriously been attempting to learn this game over the last 2 to 3 years.

I was wondering how others go about selecting a putter that suits them?

Can anyone really know whether a putter is suitable by having some practice putts on a grass mat in a pro shop?

What's the best way?

I've always been an Anser man myself. I've tried to get used to a mallet putter, but I always come back to the Anser.

Currently gaming a Redwood Anser:

redwood-anser.jpg

The Anser looks the goods. I'll be looking at a better putter over the next 12 months. Maybe a ping or a Scottie Cameron.

For the moment, old faithful will have to do.

I use a mallet. Changing putters has to be the most frustrating thing for me. Even if I spend time out on the practice green it seems I still have a learning curve to get through during the first few rounds of golf.

• Admin
Sir Shanks A Lot,
Welcome. I was hoping that you would come over and join us. Please check in if you get a chance at the Check in Desk Forum. Every poster in that forum is registered automatically for the raffle/contest. Thanks for coming by and tell everyone about THP.

I suppose you call this a mallet:

Brad, it was an easy choice. Last year, the airline lost my old set of clubs a week before my league started for the season. Golfsmith had precisely one left-handed woman's putter that remotely fitted me in stock. As it turns out, I love it. I've replaced almost every other club in my bag recently, but I'm keeping this one.

(Golfsmith = major U.S. golf retail chain)

The Anser looks the goods. I'll be looking at a better putter over the next 12 months. Maybe a ping or a Scottie Cameron.

For the moment, old faithful will have to do.

'Old faithful' putted like a champion at Northlakes on Friday. I wish I had 14 putters in my bag that day. The other 13 didn't fire that well ... but there's always next time!!!

I use a mallet. Changing putters has to be the most frustrating thing for me. Even if I spend time out on the practice green it seems I still have a learning curve to get through during the first few rounds of golf.

Hey Gary, good to see you're here.

Sir Shanks A Lot,
Welcome. I was hoping that you would come over and join us. Please check in if you get a chance at the Check in Desk Forum. Every poster in that forum is registered automatically for the raffle/contest. Thanks for coming by and tell everyone about THP.

Thanks, JB. Seems nice over here. Unfortunately, I might be the craziest one here.:shock:

Your not the craziest. Mr. Longshanks holds that title belt.

Mallet. (Like Claire's - it's not like a spaceship, just a bit of a back to it.) First time I tried it I never went back - it helps with my pendulum. But I've always had really weak wrists and I grip my putter pretty lightly, it might not be as dramatic a difference for everyone.

I have 2 mallets and a blade. I'm on and off with all of them, but the one that I have the most success with is my Scotty Cameron Red X5.

My putter collection (small one at that) is in my sig.

It may be a small collection, but it is a nice one for SC fans.

Update:

I'm now bagging a different putter. I've been drooling over this putter for a long time, but couldn't justify spending the money until TJK over at TST offered one in excellent condition for a price I couldn't refuse.

Scotty Cameron Circa '62 No. 1

Circa62No1.jpg

Circa62No1back.jpg

It looks even better in person than it does in the photos. Basically "like new".

It's a very different feel from my Redwood Anser, but so far I like it a lot.

Im calling Ping and telling them you fell off their wagon.

What is this place TST you are referring to?

LOL

thats a great putter... the flailing heel is very TP-Millish

I game two hand made coppers made in Australia, in rotation. The first is very similar to a Bettinardi BB6 and the second is based on the Kevin Burns 9913. Both are exceptional putters...its a shame this forum doesn't allow thefacility to provide pics.

Can you not provide pics of your own putters? We have a whole thread doing it

JB...the posting rules on my screen say 'you may not post attachments' ...

You will get that function once you hit the 25 post minimum that allows you to add a signature and other things.

I play a Nicklaus Q4 mallet putter. I had an older blade putter that I didn't really like so I bought me a newer putter. So far I like it but I've only got 1 round under it.

JB...the posting rules on my screen say 'you may not post attachments' ...

razaar-

create an account of Photobucket.com and upload them there. Then you can post the pictures in your message (instead of as an attachment) using this button
insertimage.gif
. I like it better than attachments because it gives you more control. Photobucket even has some basic editing tools.

Also, you can post web images the same way. Just copy the location of the image.

(Sorry if you already knew all that.)

Back