Summer Is Almost Over

Diane

Reaction score
For many of us, handicap season will close in 2 months. I know a lot of you play year round so it's different for you, but I assume you must still have goals for each season. How do you think this season has been going? Me - I didn't break 100, but brought my score down overall. My chipping and putting have been consistently good and I'm making progress on fixing my backswing. I have been using my 7 wood off the tee and know I can use my irons in a pinch. I expect to have my driver in play again this month. I still can't use my hybrid - that's a goal for the Winter. All in all - I'm happy with my game.

I am one of those "almost year round " players...
My current hdcp is a little over 10....
I would like to get in about 8-10 more rounds before Christmas and have the hdcp be in single digits...

I went backwards this year. Went from about a 2-3 to almost a 7 and now back to about a 5-6. Testing equipment will do that to you.

I will shut my golf down in a few weeks when my home course reseeds. I think they close the course down for 2 weeks, but with new management, who knows this year. I have played pretty steady golf, if I throw out the high, and low scores the past 12 months. I did manage to break 80 six straight times, on three different courses earlier this year. I had a low score of 74 (+3) this past year. :clapp: I also had a 98 (+26) at one of them Texas courses I don't mentally play well on.:banghead: I guess everything evened itself out over the past 12 months. My major accomplishment for the year was I won a local short game tournament earlier this summer. As for next year, the only thing different I might do is every so often to focus more on what I am trying to do. I don't score as many birdies as use to, so maybe focusing more on my approach game might be in order. I need to start putting sooner on 5, or 6 more holes than I do now. Right now with a couple weeks left in my season, I have played 109, 18 hole rounds of golf the past 12 months. That's around 400 +/- hours of golf.:banana: I will get in another 5, or 6 rounds in the next couple of weeks. I am not tired of golf, but a 2 week break is something I look forward too this time of year. :clapp:

Geez Prov, a two week off season is pretty brutal.:D

Were lucky enough to play year round, but I have a few goals over the next few months. One is to get my handicap below 20, almost there. I would also like to start getting in some rounds with putts in the high 20s, my lowest was 31 the other day which is great considering how bad my putting was last year. Another is to break 90, ive had some low front 9s lately but I can never keep it together on the back.

No goals at all except to have fun & I accomplished that. Driver has been working really well, hitting a ton of fairways. Need some major work on my longer irons though as right now I am sucking with them.

I don't know but it was kinda chilly today!

Well I figure if octobers weather holds up that gives me a shot to play at least 18 more times 10 in Sept 8 in Oct, maybe some in Early Nov? with the way the summers been here in NY State, who knows? I think we are going to have a nasty, nasty winter. My golfing has been great this year avg anywhere from 94 to 105, broke 100 7 times this year, last year 3 number of putts per round are avg around 35 to 38 I would like to get that in the low 30's consistently, all in all a great year with at least 2 months more to go.

Dont remind me that summer is almost over. It was 40* here this morning, which was a cruel reminder that summer is winding down and the cold weather is on its way.
Ive got about 3 months left in my season and even then I will hit the driving range at least once a week all winter long.
Im pleased with how my game has progressed this year. I fixed my slice with the driver and Ive got a lot more control with my irons and wedges. My shortgame and putting has gotten a lot better too.
All in all, Im very happy. Now if only I can master hitting a 3-wood off the deck. Im getting better, but its not where it needs to be quite yet.

My goal for this year was the start breaking 90. I did that this past week with scores of 87 and 84! Hopefully I can continue that trend, but being from up in Boston I am running out of time to be playing. I will continue to play until at least Oct, it is all about layering and finding someone crazy enough to play with me!

My "summer is almost over" moment: at Fenway last night and they were serving Octoberfest and not Sam Summer. :sad:

I will continue to play until at least Oct, it is all about layering and finding someone crazy enough to play with me!

Too bad you weren't closer - I have a whole group I play with all Winter - you could join us. Trust me - there are a lot of us out there - you just have to look a little harder.

This season, overall, was a bust. I did do quite well earlier in the year by placing 2nd in the Tucson City Championships and winning my Men's Club Championships. Since then, my game has been on a long slide to oblivion. I keep working, looking for a turn-around, but it seems for every step I take forward, I take two back. Example, I shot 78 on Thursday afternoon and followed it with a 90/92 the last two days. Thursday I played like I know I am capable, the last two days it seemed like I couldn't do anything right.

I play all winter here, even though it is hard to stay out in the cold. It got down into the mid-60's last winter. Not good out for man nor beast.

I have a whole group I play with all Winter

Really? In Connecticut? The people I know in the area (Springfield, MA and Enfield, CT) stop playing around October as well.

Hardy stock you are (or my friends are wimps). I'll go with "friends are wimps." It'll be more fun razzin' them that way. :tongue:

More power to you!

I broke 100 several times this summer which for me is good. I still haven't developed a consistent swing, I would like to have that ready by the beginning of next season. Winter might beat us up pretty good in the KC metro area this summer was pretty mild and it's supposed to get down to 50* tonight.
I'll play in the cold by myself. I played in February and it was 27* outside. It's fine if you walk and wear the proper gear.
I am looking forward to figuring this game out, I would really like to compete at this game.

I played just about once every week this Summer, which is a lot for me. I wanted to get in as much golf as I can before my RC surgery in two weeks. Normally, the weather holds up long enough for me and my golfing friends to play up until mid-October.

Although I'm happy with my ball-striking, especially my driving, my scores haven't really come down as I thought they might. My low for 9 this season was 43 (for 9, on a course I play most frequently), with a high of 56 (on another course). It really shows that I've neglected my short game this year.

Despite all that, I, like Diane, am happy with my progress this year.

My goal for this year was the start breaking 90. I did that this past week with scores of 87 and 84! Hopefully I can continue that trend, but being from up in Boston I am running out of time to be playing. I will continue to play until at least Oct, it is all about layering and finding someone crazy enough to play with me!

My "summer is almost over" moment: at Fenway last night and they were serving Octoberfest and not Sam Summer. :sad:

Great job, Soxy!

Really? In Connecticut? The people I know in the area (Springfield, MA and Enfield, CT) stop playing around October as well.

Hardy stock you are (or my friends are wimps). I'll go with "friends are wimps." It'll be more fun razzin' them that way. :tongue:

More power to you!

Your friends are further north and inland. We usually get less snow on the coast.

My goals are the same as Soxy's. I want to break 90 this year and have been flirting with a lot of rounds of 92 and 93 this year. I can play until Nov-ish but that's about it for me. Unless some balmy weather settles in over the NE my off season is from late Nov-March

I get to play almost year round down here in NC. It can get quite cold in the depths of winter. Plus the days aren't as long, so the chances to play slim down quite a bit. I have broken through the sub-90s barrier twice with an 87 and 82 respectively. My handicap is 16.6 and I'm hoping to shave it down by 6 strokes next year.

I'm going to ask for a 3-day golf school for Christmas this year, so I may get to enjoy that. Dana Rader is the pro that runs it and she is a Golf Digest Top 100 instructor.

The only difference between summer and winter here is a few degrees AND A WHOLE LOT LESS HUMIDITY! C'mon winter!

The only difference between summer and winter here is a few degrees AND A WHOLE LOT LESS HUMIDITY! C'mon winter!
Hmmmm...I can't help but wish winter would postpone for quite a few more months.

the only good thing about winter is ski season!

The way the temps have been dropping lately it feels like the season is already about over and we're still in August.....:banghead: Normally we can play until around mid October here in South Dakota so I'm usually out there trying to milk every last shot that I can out of my season. This will be no different.

This year started as a real bust for me but an early lesson really turned it around and I'm now starting to shoot what I feel that I should be shooting. I hope to stay steady as I finish the season, we've got a few weeks of league left so I wouldn't mind raking in a few more bucks in pro shop credit along the way. There are about 3 more decent tourneys that I'll try to get in as well.

Once the off season starts it's time for rededicate myself to some fitness, I never usually workout or weight train during golf season, but this year 10/01/09 I'm going to refocus myself and try to make a winter time push for a turn around. I don't need TOO much, but I'm 35 yrs old and getting to the point that if I'm ever going to get fit and try to stay fit this is the time to do it hardcore. I've had some good success in fitness regimes before and have seen first hand how much of a positive influence fitness can have on my golf game. So I'm looking forward to the off season, but I'm not excited about being finished with golf soon. :love-over: :sad:

Back