Golf Rule Question

Diane

Reaction score
I know that you can't place a rake in a bunker before you hit out of it - that would be testing the sand. I have two other questions though. The first is whether you can toss the rake into the bunker - you're not touching it so are you testing it? The second is whether you can take a rake out of the bunker if it's in your way before you hit. Some courses ask you to replace the rake in the bunker so what if it interferes with your stance? When you lift it, are you testing the ground?

I'm pretty sure you can't throw it in the trap but yes you can move a rake if it impedes your shot in any way.

Note: If the ball lies in a hazard, the player must not touch or move any loose impediment lying in or touching the same hazard - see Rule 13-4c.
Rule 24-1

Ball Lying Against Rake in Bunker

Q. My ball lies against a rake in a bunker, am I entitled to relief?

A. Yes. A bunker rake is a movable obstruction (see Definition of "Obstuctions") which the player may remove in accordance with Rule 24-1.

If the ball is touching the sand in the bunker (or another part of the course) then the rake may be removed in accordance with Rule 24-1a.

If the ball is resting solely on the rake (i.e. not also touching a part of the course) then Rule 24-1b permits the player to lift the ball, remove the rake, and drop the ball as nearly as possible to the spot directly beneath where the ball lay on the rake (but not nearer the hole).

I just had a conversation with my brother who insists you could toss it into the bunker without penalty.

I just had a conversation with my brother who insists you could toss it into the bunker without penalty.

My only question is what would you?

If you casually throw a rake into the bunker, rather than place it, there is no penalty.

What would I what? I think you left out a word. :confused2:

I think he meant "why" would you [throw a rake into the bunker]?

I take the rake in the bunker and drop just so it's near so I can rake the sand without stomping all over to retrieve the rake. I didn't know about a penalty for testing the sand. You usually do that with your feet don't you?

My brother and I were debating whether tossing the rake into the bunker was the same as placing it. I didn't say I would toss it, just wondered if it was against the rules.

My brother and I were debating whether tossing the rake into the bunker was the same as placing it. I didn't say I would toss it, just wondered if it was against the rules.

Harry got it. I wasn't sure why you would want the rake in the bunker with you. I was a little confused. :confused2:

Harry got it. I wasn't sure why you would want the rake in the bunker with you. I was a little confused. :confused2:

I've seen lazy people bring them into large bunkers when their ball is in the middle obviously not knowing the rule.

jules.jpg

Say what one more time!

I know that you can't place a rake in a bunker before you hit out of it - that would be testing the sand. I have two other questions though. The first is whether you can toss the rake into the bunker - you're not touching it so are you testing it? The second is whether you can take a rake out of the bunker if it's in your way before you hit. Some courses ask you to replace the rake in the bunker so what if it interferes with your stance? When you lift it, are you testing the ground?

Actually, you CAN take the rake with you into the bunker and lay it down, as long as you don't do anything to overtly test the surface You are not normally deemed to be in breach of the rule in such a case unless you do something unusual that could be construed as testing the surface. The same applies to picking the rake up again. The rake is a movable obstruction... as such is it is always removable. Just don't stick your fingers in the sand and wiggle them around as you pick it up. :D

That's interesting Fourputt because I bet people would cheat. They could put one end of the rake down and press a bit as they lay the other end down.

Actually, you CAN take the rake with you into the bunker and lay it down, as long as you don't do anything to overtly test the surface You are not normally deemed to be in breach of the rule in such a case unless you do something unusual that could be construed as testing the surface. The same applies to picking the rake up again. The rake is a movable obstruction... as such is it is always removable. Just don't stick your fingers in the sand and wiggle them around as you pick it up. :D

So the lazy people are actually people that plan ahead to keep the pace going...never considered myself lazy. Just didn't want to disturb the bunker as much as possible...

You can do the same thing with your feet, while firming up your stance. Correct?
That's interesting Fourputt because I bet people would cheat. They could put one end of the rake down and press a bit as they lay the other end down.

Rules FAQ: Legal - or Not - to Take Rake into Bunker Before Shot?

By Brent Kelley, About.com

Your partner says this is illegal. You say it's not. Who's right?

You are.

As long as the rake is not used to test the condition of the sand prior to playing your shot, there's nothing wrong with placing the rake in the bunker (see Exception 1 to Rule 13-4).

Likewise, the rules do no prohibit placing other clubs in the bunker, as long as they are not used to test the sand conditions.

The same applies to water hazards. Of course, the rake or clubs must not have any effect on your ball or the lie.

You can do the same thing with your feet, while firming up your stance. Correct?

Digging in with you feet is standard procedure in the bunker...I think...

The same applies to water hazards. Of course, the rake or clubs must not have any effect on your ball or the lie.

I have yet to see anyone place a club in a water hazard or a rake for that matter. Have you?

I have yet to see anyone place a club in a water hazard or a rake for that matter. Have you?

Nope...Brent Kelly, whoever he is, wrote it.

I saw a guy put a club in a water hazard once. But I think he was checking it's ability to fly... it couldn't.

"Place" a club in a water hazard? No.

Hurl a club into a water hazard? Yes.

"Place" a club in a water hazard? No.

Hurl a club into a water hazard? Yes.

I've never seen anyone throw a club in the water. In the grass, at their bag or into the cart - yes, but not the water.

I've never seen anyone throw a club in the water. In the grass, at their bag or into the cart - yes, but not the water.

I bet your parents have.

(You mentioned in another thread that your parents watch golf on TV a lot. Last year at a televised tournament, Charley Hoffman threw his Scotty Cameron prototype putter in the water. A volunteer went in after it.)

I bet your parents have.

(You mentioned in another thread that your parents watch golf on TV a lot. Last year at a televised tournament, Charley Hoffman threw his Scotty Cameron prototype putter in the water. A volunteer went in after it.)

I didn't doubt you. I was just commenting that it's something I've never seen.

Back