Rethinking bag, wedges actually, and ?'s

scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
After along and hard played summer of golf non-stop, I am now rethinking my bag, where I want my game going and where I actually see it going next summer. I know what has worked, what hasn't, and what still might.

I have messed with a gap, sw, and lob all summer and here's my current thinking...

I like using my set's regular pw more than any other wdge I've tried. Now with the S57's being my main set and the custom grind on the pw, it is awesome, even more options. I know those 10 yards out and such should be a lob or whatever, but 9/10 times I feel and perform better just opening up my pw.

While I like the idea of a gap wedge and like using one, I rarely do so I have basically decided to totally take them out of play.

Sw, as I think, I'm never really in traps that often, usually just short of them:bulgy-eyes: 80% of the courses I play and will be playing don't have the super fluffy sand, medium fluff at best, but there are a few.
I do like a sw with around 10* of bounce, though I know I should likely play one with 12-14 for fluffy sand and deep rough that I do encounter every few rounds where the higher bounce would help.

Lw, forget it. I can practice in my yard and the range for hours and be nailing it, on the course, 3/5 times I would have been better off with my pw opened up!

I truly think I will forget about the gap and lob wedge this year. I'll opt to put in the niblick (as it is versatile) instead of the gap...to me even trade on distance and opens up a few more uses...case closed there.

Here's my real questions...I want the option to add an additional hybrid opposed to an extra wedge. So my bag would actually be 47pw and ?
I know this goes against the norm, but I have a method to my madness!

So, so I opt for a 54 -10 or 57-14? I have my heart set on a Chikara and these are the two I can't decide between. The multiple grinds and sole do offer lots of playing options on them (from my readings and ?'s) and they play more like a -2* bounce than what they are.

I'm not worried about having that HUGE gap between the PW and the 54 or 57, again I am totally confident with my pw 100 in, unless it is a bunker or super steep greenside shot.

...BUT, would like to continually improving shorter wedge useage and control, so one wedge would help me here as well.

Another reason for losing some wedges is that I waste shots deciding which to use. Two wedges would equal more confidence as I'd be using them more often since there are only two:act-up:

opinions wanted

I think that you are actually so used to buying things that now that you have the irons you want, you dont know what to do with yourself...lol

As for wedges, that is a personal opinion. I know that in most FL bunkers a 47 PW is not going to cut it. But I dont know your game or where you play.

But I can promise you this. Where your game is right now, getting a wedge like the one you want is not going to help you at all. You really wont be able to tell the difference between that, a Cleveland, a Vokey, Nickent, etc... Go to a local store and hit a bunch and buy the one that feels the best. Dont go by hype. I did that with my Vokeys and while I liked them, they didnt fit my game.

JB, I have all those wedges now:>)
I know, I know, but my "mind" tells me...get one, be done, etc.
No, a pw won't be my bunker wedge (unless a hardpan cement), but would you go 54 or the 57 as the only other wedge? I hope a CHikara will make me stop wedge searching and learn then!

The new VR's I have are probably my favs I've tried thus far...Vokey, Mizuno, Cleveland, old Nikes, hmm, what else have I played this summer?

Side note, I am still more accurate with those R& Jpn issue irons than my new 57's, but the 57's are soooo schweeeeet! I have found my irons!

If the gap is not a big deal for distance get a 57. More versatile...But it will depend on bounce.

thus my dilemma J! Ideally I'd want a 56/10, but I can get the 54/10 or 57/14. I have to decide...which would get more EFFECTIVE play from me!

the only way to tell is to get those clubs on the course, this means you may have to take a bite while reselling slighly used clubs but its the only way to truly determine what will fit your game the best.

Have you ever hit this wedge or are you going on speculation and reviews? You can always find something more compatible and with more bounce options.

the only way to tell is to get those clubs on the course, this means you may have to take a bite while reselling slighly used clubs but its the only way to truly determine what will fit your game the best.

This is so true! How many times have I/we hit clubs at the range/demo and loved them, then on the course it was night/day difference.

I'm merely going fo effectiveness at this point. Now if my plan and focus remain the same and on target, this time next year my game and swing will be on a whole other level. The nice thing is actually having the mental focus and understanding of what and where I need to go, even if my mind and body sin;t working togther at this point! 8 years ago I never had 20% of understanding that I do now. 19/20 shots I can tell exactly what I did wrong (usually a few things:D) and how I hit it. Sound is an amazing component I never factored in back then. See that VJ sound temp device he's using?

This is so true! How many times have I/we hit clubs at the range/demo and loved them, then on the course it was night/day difference.

I'm merely going fo effectiveness at this point. Now if my plan and focus remain the same and on target, this time next year my game and swing will be on a whole other level. The nice thing is actually having the mental focus and understanding of what and where I need to go, even if my mind and body sin;t working togther at this point! 8 years ago I never had 20% of understanding that I do now. 19/20 shots I can tell exactly what I did wrong (usually a few things:D) and how I hit it. Sound is an amazing component I never factored in back then. See that VJ sound temp device he's using?

I CANNOT hit wedges at the range, period (well, that is because our ranges are mats only here)... it can be hard to find demo wedges but you can read all of the reviews in the world but it will never replace having a club in your hands

I get very picky with my wedges, grinds, grips... dynamic gold vs PX vs Royal Precision Spinner

weight etc etc etc

Shafts are one thing I haven't tinkered with in wedges...yet!

Heck Scooter, just go buy one each of all the wedges you are considering and see which one works best for you.:blob:

You know you want to:D

Heck Scooter, just go buy one each of all the wedges you are considering and see which one works best for you.:blob:

You know you want to:D

Heck, Santa has to bring me something:banana:

Shafts are one thing I haven't tinkered with in wedges...yet!

it's a great way to control ball flight... changes weight and center of gravity, but its a pain having to throw new shafts in constantly

in your situation, i would probably choose the 54. cuz i play a 48 pw, a 52 sw, and a 58 lob. so the 54 would kind of put you right in the middle of lob and and sand, which would allow the extra hybrid.

Well guys, after all your good comments...I wnet ahead and got one anyways!
The 57 production should be here tomorrrow.

Back