The Economy - Are Shoes The New Lipstick Indicator

Diane

Reaction score
I read in today's NY Times that shoe sales are soaring despite the economy. I've also noticed this when I've gone shopping. I was in one department store a couple of weekends ago and there were at least 100 women in the shoe department, quite a few at the make-up counters and the rest of the store was almost empty.

Aside from JB, I'm not sure if anyone else loves shoes so I'm curious if there is another small item that you're purchasing in this economy to make yourself feel good while putting off larger purchases.

d428c98c.jpg

Keep it up Smallie and you'll gain all that weight back again.

I am a recovering shoe head. There is another thread with my admission. It was so bad once that I had a room in my house known by many as the "Shoemidor". I had hundreds of shoes in their boxes most un-warn in my "shoemidore". Thankfully I no longer collect shoes and just buy to wear. I did make a pretty penny selling my collection on ebay though.

My boss thinks the indicator of the economy is Windows. When a windows program does well as does the economy, and vise versa. He used Vista as an example. I am not sure he makes any sense.

Interesting, but probably not accurate. I believe they found that lipstick sales weren't a good indicator either. I do think it's interesting that people are buying so many new pairs of shoes though.

I love buying new shoes. They make your feet feel better, back hurt less and you look good. What better thing to spend money on?

Back