Royal New Kent any info?

kcfromva

Reaction score
Handicap
I am suppose to be playing at Royal New Kent outside of Williamsburg Va next week and just wondering what to expect. Any info would be great. I hear it can be a tough links style course
Thanks for any help

I have some advice,

1. Buy the yardage book because they are many blind shots
2. Put your ego away, you won't be needing it here, haha
3. Bring extra golf balls
4. Have fun!

It is an awesome course, but it is one that you probably have to play 3-4 times before you get a feel for it. A lot of blind shots, on one hole we had to drive up just to find out where the green was!!

RNK is truely a masterpiece of modern golf course design and always ranked highly in Golf Digests list of the countries most difficult courses.

Here are a few pics I found for you to get an idea of what you'll be facing

9th hole, a creek runs across and down the right, then second shot up the hill
3655692726_0ae1d9e6b1.jpg

an example of the blind shots, if I am not mistaken you can't see this green from the fairway as it is blocked by a big mound
two.jpg

This is the signature hole par 3
Royal%20New%20Kent%207.jpg

View from the back of the signature hole
four.jpg

18th hole, tee shot across the water, second shot across the water
48061191-14132802.jpg

That looks like a beautiful course, I wonder how many penalty strokes I would take on 18:bulgy-eyes:

Are you saying 1 ball is not enough? haha It looks tough. I will let you know after I play it next week. Maybe I should bring my camera.

This is the toughest course I have ever played; 7300 yds from the tips, Invicta is Latin for unvanquished :at-wits-end:. Other than the Old Course at St Andrews this is the only place I have shot over 100 in the last 10 years :banghead:. My best round there is 88 and played what I thought was a very good round of golf:clapp:. For some reason I was always a club short on my approach shots:banghead:. There are a lot of sucker tee shots out there, for example play out to the right on the 1st hole. You better be able to carry 290+ to clear the mound/hazard that will tempt you to hit strait away. If you pin hunt you will pay the price.

This place will feed you some humble pie no doubt. If you get the chance play the sister course Stonehouse, it is my favorite course in the Williamsburg area.

Enjoy

I have played Stonehouse and really enjoyed that course. But when I played it the 9th green had been vandalized. Some idiots took 4wds and rutted it up like I had never seen but that was a couple years ago so I am assuming they have that repaired. I remember the 18th hole as being beautiful.

Back