Golf Travel Covers

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
I've recently bought a couple of Golf Travel Covers 2nd hand.

One is a hard travel cover by Golf Guard the same as in the attached photo. I've used it once & it did the job well, including:
- keeping the contents dry when it was transferred between planes in the rain.
- me seeking the travel cover come out upside down on one baggage carousel;
- me finding the travel cover dumped on the airport floor at another baggage carousel (don't know if it fell off or was dumped on the floor).

Whilst I was waiting to pick up my travel cover, I saw another guy who must've been crazy. He picked up his set of clubs in their stand bag from the baggage carousel. I could see that the plate at the bottom of the bag (that kicks the legs out) was damaged & hanging by a thread. I could only imagine what the heads & shafts of his clubs looked like under their zip up hooded cover.

The other one I bought is a Nike Golf soft travel cover which I couldn't resist buying because of the price (next to nothing). Although, it is soft, it has plenty of padding & has wheels. I then went out & bought a Club Glove Stiff Arm to give as much protection to the contents in the event that I use this.

Although, the hard travel cover would guarantee clubs were protected whilst in traveling, and a soft travel cover cannot give the same guarantee (b/c of baggage handler mishandling) the soft travel cover also has room inside for clothes & effects. Therefore, making it perfect for a golf weekend away because I'd only need to take one bag instead of two.

I was wondering whether readers have had any experiences with golf travel covers - good or bad? Any thoughts about hard travel covers vs soft (padded) travel covers?

Club Glove BurstProof II

I've had it for just over a year, and have made 4 roundtrip airline trips with it. Could not be happier.

Initially, I was a little skeptical of any soft-sided travel bag, but it seemed to be the bag everyone wholeheartedly recommended, so I gave it a shot. After using the Burst Proof II with wheels and a Stiff Arm, I'm fairly confident that it would take some extraordinary trauma to damage my clubs if properly packed in the BP2.

BPW-Black-Lf.jpg
StiffArm.jpg
BagOutlineWithStiffArm.jpg

The BP2 is made of heavy duty Cordura canvas and has a full length heavy duty zipper with 3 2-inch wide compression straps to reinforce the zipper. The clubhead area is well-padded, and the rest of the BP2 relies on the golf bag to protect the shafts. There are 3 sets of handles: (1) a pull handle at the top; (2) carry handles in the middle; and (3) a lift handle at the bottom. All work well and the bag is relatively easy to carry when carrying is required. Keep in mind, however, that I am 6'4" and ~210lbs (193 cm and 95 kg for our overseas brethren.)

The wheels are inline-skate type wheels and they roll well on almost any type of surface. The BP2 can also stand up on just about any level surface. For example, at the airline check-in counter, I don't have to worry about the BP2 taking up 6 feet of floor space and getting in people's way because I can just stand it up right next to me.

The inside of the BP2 is pretty simple. The only interior pockets are 2 nylon shoe pockets. There are no exterior pockets.

My lightweight stand bag fits easily in the BP2 with the bag pockets filled with balls, rainsuit, gloves, GPS, water bottle, and everything else I normally carry. (A hybrid or cart bag would probably fit, but a staff size bag probably would not.)

I know that a lot of people recommend the larger sized Last Bag but, personally, I wouldn't want it. I like traveling as light as possible and, for me, it would be too big and heavy. With the way airlines are overcharging for every piece of luggage, I would inevitably end up having to pay the $50-$100 overweight bag fee when I got to the check in counter. The BP2 has always kept me well within the weight limits. (However, I haven't traveled since the airlines really clamped down this past summer.)

I would definitely recommend getting the Stiff Arm ($18-$29). It keeps me from worrying about some baggage handler dropping my bag on its top.

One thing I do regret is getting the BP2 in plain ol' black. It comes in 14 various eye-popping colors, but I went with black . . . just like everyone else in the world. Blue, or green, or clay (or "pink champagne" for the ladies . . . or Bubba Watson) would have been much easier to spot at the airport. However, I can't, in good conscious, recommend "mocha with pink webbing" to anyone.

And every time I write about my Club Glove, I have to include this "testimonial" from the Club Glove website, which cracks me up.

BPWtumble-64color.gif

(a) The cartoon van is enjoying the catastrophe way too much; and

(b) The coach of the UTEP Men's Golf Team needs to learn how to tie a proper knot; and

(c) The player did not say "Holy Smoke". Undoubtedly there was a "holy" in there somewhere . . . but "smokes" - I think not.

But that's why it's on my Christmas wish list this year. I was thinking pink and brown.

Okay, pulling this one out again. Has anyone tried to pack a cart bag into a Club Glove? (Harry, we know you use a carry bag exclusively.) I spent a hunk of this evening unsuccessfully trying to squeeze my Datrek in. This isn't quite the bag, but it's the same square shape:

41PHZ1NM80L._AA280_.jpg

I just couldn't close the Club Glove around it. I ended up using the carry bag, with room to spare. Not a big deal to use a carry bag on a cart, but I just know where everything belongs on my cart bag and it's easier to work with-the pockets are in the right places.

It's a tad disappointing, because I was hoping that (for future trips) I'd be able to squeeze Boo Girl's bag in with mine. It doesn't look like it.

Packed, the thing really does resemble a very colorful body bag.

I bought the club glider and it has worked out wonderfully. Soft cover and I also use a Stiff Arm for more support. I can also store clothes and shoes in the same bag when traveling.

Back