Which format would you prefer?

Which format would you prefer?

• Total voters

arwin

Reaction score
Each year my buddies and I head to a warm destination in the winter and have a fun tournament. This year, we're doing 6 rounds in Orlando.
Each of the past few years, we've been doing an individual cumulative stroke play event; where the person with the lowest total score wins the money and the trophy.

I was thinking yesterday that maybe this year we could change it up. With the recent Grandaddy threads, I thought it might be fun to have teams and do a Ryder Cup match play style event.

The problem that I was seeing with the lowest net score was that every stroke mattered in the end result so no putts were ever given and the pace of play was getting pretty bad. Also, there were a few times where guys (myself included) were just struggling really bad and they couldn't ask for mercy -- Cannot be saved by ESC Score. lol. We all get into funks where we can't hit the ball straight/keep it in play if our life depended on it, which leads to searching for lost balls and the bad pace of play.

I was thinking that if we switched to a Match play type event, even if some are struggling, then they could still enjoy themselves on the trip if they had a good hole to save the team. They are in it every hole. If they are struggling and they are out contention for the hole, nobody would mind if they just picked up the ball or give them a generous putt. This should lead to a better pace of play as well.

Even though we aren't very good golfers, we LOVE to gamble. LOL. So there will always be some type of gambling going on. I think the gambling breakdown/structure might have an impact on which format we choose to play.

I like the idea of teaming up with one partner and having to grind out a win in an event over multiple rounds, but then on the flip side, it might also be fun to just play with a different partner each round and compete for that round.

So what format would you prefer?

1) Individual Cumulative Stroke play -- Lowest net score at the end wins the prize
2) Pair up with one partner for the entire trip and play a Ryder Cup style match play where the winning team wins the prize
3) Pair up with a different partner each round and have the winning team for the round take a smaller pot
4) Mix it up with smaller pots for each round with a mix of team play and then individual stroke play
5) Other - Suggestions?

Now, if we were to do a team play event, we might also consider having a payout for having the lowest net score
If we were to go the route where we'd pay out per round, I'm thinking we would do $20-30 per person for the round and then maybe $10 per person for the net low.

This way..(if we did $30 for the round)
You would win $20 per round if you are on the winning team but not the net low
You would win $60 per round if you are on the winning team and the net low
You would break even if you are on the losing team but you are the net low
You would lose $40 per round if you are on the losing team and not the net low

We're playing 6 rounds, so if someone gets hot for the trip, they can win quite a bit!

What would you prefer?

I would mix it up just to keep everyone interested, even if they're having an off day or week.

There is also the possibility of other side games within the group for extra skins.

2 or 3 would be my choice, followed by 4. It should keep everybody in the event until the end whereas 1 could potentially knock a bunch of guys out early, even if you use handicaps.

I like playing with different partners if it's a trip, to ensure I get to spend time with as many people as possible

I really have a hard time picking between options 3 and 4. I really love partner/team golf and switching up partners with regularity. But I also love the individual aspect of golf as well. So my answer is a combination of 3 and 4. Team golf with a new partner each round AND one round of individual scores as well.

In an competitive event that spans multiple days, I would rather stick with the same partner from start to finish. If the event is just for fun and no competition involved, mix it up each day.

4 in total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like all formats and like mixing up the games and partners.

Switch it up so everyone gets a chance to play with everyone. I like individual and team comps but it's a "buddies" trip so play with everyone,

6 rounds.....do em all.

im in the mix it up majority

a group of 8 of us have a trip to Bandon in February and we will be doing a mix of games. We will do individual play for the following: Low gross/low net/most birdies, all with max of double par for all players regardless of handicap. Then daily net skins, and different games within the group (wolf, lefty/righty, vegas, 6 6 6) where you have a partner.

Keeps things interesting each day and makes it so every shot counts but if you have a bad hole you aren't completely out of it. Also means that even if somebody is absolutely struggling all week they aren't 100% donating. Good luck, I am sure it will be fun!

I'd mix it up, that way everyone gets to play with/against everyone

I voted for different partner, I put together a trip for my buddies every year and the biggest request I get is that they get to play with as many different people as possible.

Mix it up.

One round individual stroke, one round 2 man better ball, one round 2 man scramble, etc. Mix the partners and the formats and keep it interesting. We seem to play individual stroke so much that it becomes too routine. I like mixing things up.

Mix the formats up but keep the team intact. The team composition can change the following year, but nothing fosters more camaraderie than a team format that doesn't change membership.

Voted 4. Continually mix it up with fun team play followed by singles at the end.

I think 3 would be the best time, a lot more relaxing and fun to be had.

Do partner best ball and make a cap of triple of any hole. Will help pace of play

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Playing with different partners is a ton of fun!

Thanks for the input guys!
I think we're going to go with option 4!

Back