Company/Vendor Golf Outings - Is it just me or do they just "Mess" you up?

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Every time I go to a Company/Vendor Golf Outing, my game completely goes away. Went to one yesterday - With all of the rain we had, it was cart path only. Took us 6 hours to complete 18 holes.
I just played like junk. Like I was going to impress everyone and proceed to impress no one. And the ones that when with the lowest score mange to be 4 good golfers with no hacks. How does that happen?

Now I'm worried I can't get my game back.

Nah. I just enjoy. I don't go in with expectations.

Most of the time I swing last and hope someone else has put a good shot in already :)

Its all mental man, I have been there. Just have to brush it off and keep swinging. You got this!

Nah. I just enjoy. I don't go in with expectations.

Most of the time I swing last and hope someone else has put a good shot in already :)
This, this and so much this, this is great advice for any golf round, even the more important ones!!!

These don't mess me up at all, I usually play pretty well. I go in with limited pressure and just chill out and enjoy the company. It always turn out well and if you duff your shot, no one cares, you have a team for a reason, especially in scrambles.

That's just the way I look at it at least.

not me I have won my company scramble twice and been 2nd and 5th other two times i have played it

Nope. I expect long rounds, bad golf from those around me and just enjoy time on the course.

A long round plus cart path only equals bad day in general for me.

I don't expect to impress anybody anyway, so those sort of outings don't bother me. Playing poorly, however, bothers the heck out of me regardless of where I'm at and who I'm playing with.

Honestly no. Those are the ones I enjoy most. Never gonna beat someone elses scorecard. I do those to work on some of my game and have fun

As the A player in my company sponsored group, it's my job to make sure our guests have fun and we finish under par. If the round is not fun, I'll add alcohol if possible, and 6 hours is par for the course...

I know I'm in for a long round. For me that translates to not my best golf. I go into the round with that mindset and try and make sure that this round in particular is much more about the conversations than the golf.

I'm with ya Mark, it always takes me a couple weeks after a scramble to get things lined out. It's not really anything to do with my swing though it's more getting back to staying in my game and scoring when I can. Not just green lighting every shot and swinging out of my shoes off the tee. I just need 3-4 rounds to dial it back and get back my course management.

I play in maybe one of these a year and that is enough for me. I enjoy them but wouldn't want to do more than a couple each year. One of my good buddies played in one this week that had incredible door prizes. He won a full Tiltleist set up. Ap1 irons, 915 driver, GoLo 9 Putter, Vokey wedges, and a bag. He played as a kid but with work and 3 kids has only played about 6 times a year the last 15+ years. He had some 25 year old cheap, unforgiving clubs so he was quite shocked with the improvement when he played with these yesterday. Enough to call me from N. Carolina and tell me about it. It was good to hear him excited about these clubs and his golf game again.

Came back today and tied my best score of the year. Little shaky in the beginning but settled down to score well.

I play in one or 2 of these a month during golf season and love them. usually they're scrambles from white tees so I just swing for the fences and have fun. I usually win a prize or 2 from the raffles which is fun. I did get a bit frustrated last year when I played with one of my customers who had never (not even once) played golf. I followed her for the first 3 holes filling her divots and she just kept digging away. I ran out of sand and gave up after 10 or 12 shots per hole.....poor maintainance crew that week.

Way to bounce back Mark!

I go with no expectations. Just there for the company, food and fun.

Back