Australian PGA Day 3

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Photos of Day 3 - Australian PGA Championship

Photos of Day 3 - Australian PGA Championship

Whilst my report on Day 3 is waiting to be uploaded, I've posted my snaps of the groups I followed.

Enjoy!!!
-------------------

Peter Senior, Wayne Perske & Rod Pampling arrive at the 10th tee. A short par 4 with a dogleg left and fairway bunkers hungry for a wayward shot.

IMG_2294.jpg

Rod Pampling is "banana'd-up" for his tee off.

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

After a good shot off the tee, Rod Pampling goes for the green.

IMG_2298.jpg

Someone's in trouble on the par 5 twelfth.

IMG_2299.jpg

That someone is Geoff Ogilvy.

IMG_2300.jpg

Ogilvy summing up his shot to the green from a nasty downhill lie.

IMG_2301.jpg

A view of the green.

IMG_2302.jpg

Ogilvie eventually pulls his shot to the left of the green.

IMG_2304.jpg

More images from Day 3

More images from Day 3

Richard Lee & Geoff Ogilvie approaching the tee at the par 4 thirteenth.

IMG_2305.jpg

This hole doglegs to the left. Water on the left, fairway bunkers on the right.

IMG_2306.jpg

Deep in thought before tee off.

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

Ogilvie hit a skillful tee shot over the trees in the area where you can see a little white plastic seat.

IMG_2309.jpg

Nathan Green approaching the thirteenth.

IMG_2311.jpg

Selecting his weapon.

IMG_2313.jpg

More images from Day 3

More images from Day 3

Now it's the turn of Rod Pampling's group at the thirteenth.

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

The group containing Peter O'Malley, Michael Long and Paul Goydos on the green at the par 5 fifteenth.

IMG_2319.jpg

American Paul Goydos.

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2323-1.jpg

Geoff Ogilvie sizing up his birdie putt on the seventeenth (he just misses it)

IMG_2324.jpg

Two visitors try to crash Matthew Goggin's birdie putt party on the seventeenth.

IMG_2327.jpg

They don't succeed. Goggin birdies the seventeenth and goes on to birdie the eighteenth to take the overall lead at the end of day 3.

IMG_2328.jpg

--------------

Folks,

Hope you enjoyed the photos!!!

Brad - GREAT pictures! Looks like a great time. Can't wait to see more.

I do have to bring this photo back and say "Love those high socks! Very, very classy!"

IMG_2309.jpg

Brad - GREAT pictures! Looks like a great time. Can't wait to see more.

I do have to bring this photo back and say "Love those high socks! Very, very classy!"

Thanks Smally. Your kind comments mean a lot. There's a couple of hours work late at night in each report & photo post.

Re the socks? Yes, they're a real [cough, cough] fashion statement, aren't they. I can proudly say that I don't have a pair.

Those are fantastic! Which is your favorite?

Okay then,let me see? :thinking:

Even though the picture doesn't show him swinging, the thirteenth involving Geoff Ogilvie going over the trees with a long drive that had a delightful draw on it. Nathan Green in the group immediately after, followed with a very similar shot. Just amazing shotmaking.

The incident behind the photos involving the kangaroos was hilarious. The players were on the green & the large gallery following this group was walking up to the green. They startled the kangaroos, which were grazing on the side of the fairway. The kangaroos then hopped off to what they must've thought was a quieter spot - the green. The crowd loved it & the photographers started clicking crazily.

Even though I don't have a photo, watching Matthew Goggin on the eighteenth hit a 6 iron into the wind to about a foot of the pin. There was danger all around and he'd just gone to equal leader because of his birdie on the seventeenth. Real daring stuff. No protecting of his joint lead. Fortune favoured the brave & that took him to the outright lead.

The shots of Rod Pampling probably don't do justice to his mental preparation. He has a very disciplined mental focus thanks to his wife who is his sports psychologist. Talk about letting his wife get into his head!! :D

As a general comment, the skill of these pros is just amazing. This is a tough course. There's lots & lots of water. Lots of bunkers. Sloping greens. Pins placed close to danger. The pros just go at it fearlessly.

A little piece of trivia ... I found out at the end of day 3 that Matthew Goggin used to play field hockey for his home state. Rod Pampling used to play field hockey also before making the right decision to concentrate on his golf. I find so many people who play(ed) bat & ball sports are also excellent golfers. Something about that ingrained eye/hand coordination.

Thanks for your comments Julie. Like I said to Smally, they mean a lot.

Paul Goydos

Paul Goydos

I forgot to say something about Paul Goydos. Before the tournament, I'd heard that Paul Goydos is a nice guy with a good sense of humour. Well, nothing I saw changes that. On the putting green he was making little, friendly comments & quips to his playing partners. On the seventeenth green, he asked his caddy for assistance with a read in a real polite way. You could see that he's a gentleman.

What clubs does he use? All Taylor Made except for the Titleist 907 D2 driver nestled in amongst them.

Julie, I was there also. The incident involving the kangaroos was very funny.

I just love candid, action shots...and I love seeing them on the forums! You pictures are great quality and you really show an eye for angles, placement of subject in pictures (not everything has to be centered - hooray!) Moments like the kangaroos are priceless and make me want to hop a jet to Australia!

But I know you have to take many, many pictures to find a few good ones...I asked which is your favorite, because I know I always come away from a photography event with a couple that I'm really proud of.

I like the one of Geoff, and the one of Rod by the spectators the best, I think. (It's a bummer their hats usually obscure their faces.)

IMG_2328.jpg

"Okay, take a left at the Schweppes sign, go about 150 yards and then hang a right at the yellow flag, and then look for the sand."

Oh, wait. Thought this was the caption thread there for a minute. Sorry.

John Daly's dream of his Yellowtail Wine coming to life finally happens...for someone else.

Thanks Smally. Your kind comments mean a lot. There's a couple of hours work late at night in each report & photo post.

Re the socks? Yes, they're a real [cough, cough] fashion statement, aren't they. I can proudly say that I don't have a pair.

You're welcome. Those are some good pics. And those socks are a hoot!

Great photos Brad and excellent background work. I sincerely hope that the owner/s of this site appreciate the expense and effort you have gone to to bring this coverage to the forum. By the way who does own this forum? In your case if it is all take and no give.......!!!

"Okay, take a left at the Schweppes sign, go about 150 yards and then hang a right at the yellow flag, and then look for the sand."

Oh, wait. Thought this was the caption thread there for a minute. Sorry.

Harry, that quote is priceless. Laughed my head off.

I just love candid, action shots...and I love seeing them on the forums! You pictures are great quality and you really show an eye for angles, placement of subject in pictures (not everything has to be centered - hooray!) Moments like the kangaroos are priceless and make me want to hop a jet to Australia!

I like the one of Geoff, and the one of Rod by the spectators the best, I think. (It's a bummer their hats usually obscure their faces.)

Thanks again Julie. Re the hats covering their faces, you wouldn't believe how many times I had the camera ready to snap & they'd look down or look away. Very frustrating.

My favourites? The ones with the Kangaroos, perhaps Rod Pampling doing the 'banana-rena' (a different dance to the macarena) & probably a couple of Geoff Ogilvy when he's in thought mode.

You're welcome. Those are some good pics. And those socks are a hoot!

They'd look even worse on my skinny legs Smally.

Great photos Brad and excellent background work. I sincerely hope that the owner/s of this site appreciate the expense and effort you have gone to to bring this coverage to the forum. ... In your case if it is all take and no give.......!!!

Thanks Razaar. No, it's all voluntary. I'm just one of the hardworking staff members here. I receive nothing. Just doing it gratis for the love & advancement of golf. :golf:

Yes, it was very difficult at times to get the photos. I had to be careful not to take a photo as a player was swinging and because my application for media accreditation was turned down, strictly speaking, I wasn't supposed to be taking photos. It was all very cloak & dagger.

The kind comments of yourself, Smally, Julie & Harry are certainly welcomed. I'm sure the others enjoyed it too but your comments are a nice reassurance that it's all appreciated.

THP appreciates all of the work our staff members do. Everyone of them works hard and does it for the love of the game and this site. Brad's hard work was appreciated so much in this thread. His photos are fantastic. As for media credentials. We offered to get them for Brad and were never turned down. When he sent in the application himself it got bounced back.

... As for media credentials. We offered to get them for Brad and were never turned down. When he sent in the application himself it got bounced back.

JB, I hope my comment wasn't taken out of context. I was merely commenting on the difficulty of taking photographs. It was not a swipe at THP. My application for media accreditation as a THP staff member was made weeks in advance of any other approach. The reason for rejection I have quoted immediately below.

"Our concern comes on the basis that The Hackers Paradise does not fit our general eligibility criteria

As I’m sure you can understand our priority is to accredit individuals representing media outlets whom we know provide regular coverage of Australian golf and are members of one of the following:

· recognised daily newspapers
· wire and news services
· national or international golf magazines that regularly provide tournament coverage
· news and sports magazines that regularly cover golf
· national radio and television networks
· local radio and television stations within the immediate coverage"

Of course, I did not agree with the PGA of Australia representative. I was proud to be representing THP but at that time the umpire's decision was final. They were nice enough to give me complimentary general admission to all four days.

All's well that ends well. I took some nice photos anyway.

No offense taken however, I just wanted the readers to know, that THP did not get turned down. In fact it was the opposite we actually got Brad credentials at the last tourny (but it was too far) and could have received them for him for this tourny as well. When credentials are needed by any outlet, the reporter themselves does not ever get them because corporate information is needed to support their request. Proper info was needed by them, that is all. Here is an excerpt of the PGA rules for credentials.

Eligibility
Media credentials, for working personnel only, will be issued only to employees (18 years of age and older) of recognized daily newspapers, national news services, golf publications, recognized golf news internet sites and publications that regularly cover golf, national radio and television networks, local television stations, local radio stations with a dedicated sports format or show, hometown reporters and newspaper groups.

PGA Tour permanent media badge holders will be admitted upon approval of The PGA of America. PGA Tour Media badge holders must submit an application to The PGA of America prior to May 9 so that allowances can be made for working space, food service and parking. Working spaces will only be provided to those that have submitted an application in advance.

We appreciate each and every staff member that we have here for doing what they do for the love of the game and this site.

Some of the readers may not know this and I will not get too deep here, but THP is an actual corporation. Golfer Gal and I had to do that to make sure that it is here to stay. It is not just buying a domain name. There is a lot more behind this.

I appreciate you editing your last post and putting the entire message from them in there.

Great photos Brad and excellent background work. I sincerely hope that the owner/s of this site appreciate the expense and effort you have gone to to bring this coverage to the forum. By the way who does own this forum? In your case if it is all take and no give.......!!!

I want to add a couple more things to this. Brad was given free tickets based on his working with THP. He was not asked to provide coverage. He wanted to and of course we are extremely grateful.

As far as take and give...THis forum is not free to run. It costs us money and time and we receive absolutely NOTHING to do so. If you do not like our coverage or how we run things nobody is forcing you to stay here. HOWEVER, find another forum that gives back like we do to our members.

We are so grateful to each and ever member that we have. The hard work and money spent is worth it. Every day we both tune into this forum and we have a blast just like hopefully all of you do to.

THP is so appreciative of all the great people on our staff. Everyone of us is doing what we do for free. As many know from our giveaways, the items that we do receive from companies are given to you, our loyal members. We do this because we love golf, we love this forum, and we love our members.

Reactions: JB
I always love Brad's articles and typically let him know as well... Whenever I comment on one of Brad's contributions he always responds directly to me via email which I think is pretty cool.

This isnt my site and I have nothing to do with it but I often meet JB to hit clubs and help evalute them. Giving my .02 isnt something that is needed or required... but I enjoy contributing and doing what I can to ensure the longevity of this little playground of ours.

Mainly, I think people on this site do what they do out of pure enjoyment. We do it because we enjoy being a little more involved in the game than your average player.

I always love Brad's articles and typically let him know as well... Whenever I comment on one of Brad's contributions he always responds directly to me via email which I think is pretty cool.

Thanks TCT. It's a shame we're too far away to play 18 together. :golf:

Back