Eagle Scout Roll Call

Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
With all the threads on 'what if' survival topics (thanks for the inspiration Diane) a few have mentioned having been in Scouts.

These last few weeks I've spent quite a bit of time with a lot of the guys I was in the troop with. One of my good friends lost his dad, and we all went out after the funeral, and someone took notice that there were about 15 Eagle's standing around at one table. A unique situation, to say the least. If any one of those guys called me up and told me he needed help, I'd be there in a second, and we're scattered across several states. The best part is knowing that I could count on the same from any one or all of them.

I passed my board of review in fall of 91, had my court of honor in spring of 92 with a buddy that came up through the troop with me.

Who else is in?

Almost got there..teenage hormones and thinking stopped me.congrats to you though

Very cool, Gummi. Fifteen Eagles is just amazing. The Kid is a Tenderfoot and intends to make Eagle.

Did you know that this is the 100th anniversary of Boy Scouts in America? Hubby and I are honoray co-chairs of a big gala coming up. I shudder to think what we'll be called upon to do if The Kid really does make Eagle.

My cousin's son is 15 - over Christmas, we were discussing what his community project would be. I didn't realize what amazing things these kids do. One kid in his troop built lockers in a local homeless shelter so that people would have a place to store their belongings when they stayed there. Another built a bridge over a local stream in a spot where access was needed. My cousin's husband organized and ran a blood drive as his project. Gummi - what was your project?

Almost got there..teenage hormones and thinking stopped me.congrats to you though

I didn't even come close. I found it was more fun scouting girls then boys! hehe

Had a couple in my troop make it and a couple of my friends came close but the hormone thing kicked in with them too.

Would have been cool to make it all the way to Eagle though. Those who do should be commended.

Last edited:
I didn't even come close. I found it was more fun scouting girls then boys! hehe

Had a couple in my troop make it and a couple of my friends came close but the hormone thing kicked in with them too.

Would have been cool to make it al the way to Eagle though. Those who do should be commended.
I came close but like you scouting girls seemed a lot more fun to me.When they told me I had to for the troop that's when my rebellious nature took over too.

Would have been cool to make it al the way to Eagle though. Those who do should be commended.

Im the same Smallie. I enjoyed all of the camping but as it turned out, the Scouts didnt enjoy me. I got the boot a few times. My Dad and the Scout Master butted heads and they took it out on me.

My cousin's son is 15 - over Christmas, we were discussing what his community project would be. I didn't realize what amazing things these kids do. One kid in his troop built lockers in a local homeless shelter so that people would have a place to store their belongings when they stayed there. Another built a bridge over a local stream in a spot where access was needed. My cousin's husband organized and ran a blood drive as his project. Gummi - what was your project?

For my project, I built a potted garden for a United Way sponsored retirement home. I built the stands so that anyone standing, or chairbound would be able to garden; grow herbs, flowers or veggies. The stands were such that they could be moved indoors for the residents to fiddle with them even when the weather wasn't cooperative.

I had to write a big report on how I'd go about it, get that approved, then chase down all the materials and labor to pull it off. I got just about everything donated, and a few folks put up a few bucks for some flowers and seed to get the residents started off. I had a build day on one weekend, to get the stands built and painted; then the next weekend we made a party of delivering them, and helping the folks get all set up and their first garden planted in them. I probably put 100+ man hours into it.

Gummi - That is a wonderful project. I never knew these projects were going on until recently. Does the garden still exist?

No idea, I followed up on it until I graduated high school, but quit checking up on them when I went away to college.

Boy Scouts was a totally different experience for me...no eagle scouts in the troop, really very little in the way of scouting activity...we gathered once a week and played ultimate frisbee, neighborhood hide and seek, or indoor hockey or tackle football (no pads)...we'd go camping once a month, usually someone would bring legal and illegal substances, we'd hitchike out to get more, and generally had a pretty good time...made it to star scout by 13 or 14 and then quit for different pursuits...

Boy Scouts was a totally different experience for me...no eagle scouts in the troop, really very little in the way of scouting activity...we gathered once a week and played ultimate frisbee, neighborhood hide and seek, or indoor hockey or tackle football (no pads)...we'd go camping once a month, usually someone would bring legal and illegal substances, we'd hitchike out to get more, and generally had a pretty good time...made it to star scout by 13 or 14 and then quit for different pursuits...

That pretty much sums up my experience as well.

Back