plumber

Reaction score
Handicap
I had just upgraded my ironsto new XR's . My new set is 3H , 4H, 5H, 6-PW and AW . the conflict is I already have 3 MD3 wedges, 50° 54° and 58°. the major conflict seems to be in the gap wedge. I have the set AW at 49° and my MD3 at 50°. As for distance, I hit the set AW about 5 yards more than the MD3. The set AW is easier to make good contact with, but the MD3 has much better spin, and stops much quicker. I'm wondering what to do. It doesn't make much sense to carry two clubs that hit so close to each other. If I pull one, I'll have room for one more. Hmmm. Options, options, options.

How do you use your AW? Does the set AW offer more advantages for your game or the 50°?

Dave

My Callaway Performance Center fitter advised me to keep the set gap wedge in 2012 over a similar loft wedge because of the perimeter weighting and forgiveness. So that's what I have done ever since.

My Callaway Performance Center fitter advised me to keep the set gap wedge in 2012 over a similar loft wedge because of the perimeter weighting and forgiveness. So that's what I have done ever since.

I do find the set to be much more forgiving and easier to make a good shot. I mostly use the club as an 11 iron. I find that 90% of my gap wedge shots are full swing, and I occasionally make chips with it.

I wouldn't keep both in the bag for the same job - I'd play them until you have a gut favorite and act decisively. Confidence is everything.

i had a couple of wedges in the bag 52 54 60 to see which worked best for me.. honestly i took them all out and just use my standard PW and AW. by no means am i a scratch player but from what I've experienced is that you have to be too perfect with all those fancy degree wedges... i like my shots to hit and release this method works good at my home course.

I have the XR irons through AW and use the MD3 52* and 56*. The AW is so easy to hit that I kept it and added the 52* for those close approach shots. I hit the AW about 20 yards further than the 52, though I rarely swing the 52 full.

Do you have a 52 you can try to see if the gap between 49 and 52 would fit you better? I would pull the 50 and live with the goodness that is the AW.

This is the same dilemma that I'm having. I took the AW out of my bag and have been using a MD3 48 and 54. While I love both clubs and do pretty well with them in practice, they just don't deliver in a game environment. I use the 54 around the green and in the bunker, and the 48 is used when I'm under 50 and over 10 yards from the green.

I found that the AW was much easier to use around the green, even just outside the fringe. I'm going to put it back in the bag and keep the 54 for the bunker and around the green. May keep the 48 for a while and see how much use it gets... if not much, I'll pull it from the bag.

I have the new Steelhead XR irons. I am playing set AW. Carry 123 yard full swing, 100 yard 3/4 swing.

Then I play 56 bent to 55 deg Mack Daddy PM grind and 60 Mack Daddy PM Grind.

I use the set AW from 123 to 100 yards and for some chips around the green. It's a great club. Inside 100, I will use my 2 wedges 55 and 60

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I don't have the dilemma but I have a similar situation. I have two bags for two homes. In one I have a set GW (JPX-850 - 50/7 graphite shaft) and in the other I have a specialty wedge (MP-T4 - 50/6 DG Spinner shaft).

For me, they are awfully close, I do have a slight preference for the set GW as it is gets more full swings than my other specialty wedges and I think the balance and weighting are better matched to the rest of the set and what I am full swinging throughout the round. With most shots, I am equally comfortable but if you asked me to really drill a shot and push the range on distance, I would be more comfortable with the set wedge.

I'm thinking the MD3 is a more versatile club, however my skill is far less than what I'll be able to get out of it. As that spot in my bag is primarily a full swing club, I'm thinking I may be better keeping the set AW in the bag. I was hoping there would have been some yardage gap between the two, but it's so close.
Next dilemma is what to replace it with?

I replaced my set 49* gap wedge with a 50* MD3 because I love the feel of the non set wedges. For me, I love to hit all my non set gap wedges and I don't feel I need more forgiveness in high lofted clubs. I actually went and put in a 64* wedge because I end up with a lot of 50-60 yard approach shots. I hit every club in my bag full swing. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't want two clubs in my bag with the same loft (or 1* different) and I would be looking to add either another wedge (for you a 62* or 64*) or something at the top of you bag. The only issue I have is a larger than ideal cap between my 4I and 3W which comes into play for me when I have a 200-210 yard par 3. On some courses I pull my 4I and put in my 3H if I know I have one of those par 3s.

Right now, I'm thinking something at the bottom of the bag. I don't get along well with fairway woods, and actually hit this 3H further than my old 3W. I'm pondering a 64° PM grind, or perhaps one of those Odyssey chippers.

So after much reading, thinking, and reading some more. I went out and hit a bucket of balls with the AW and the 50. I'm pulling the 50.
Now on to its replacement!?
I'm trying to decide between a 64 PM grind and a Tank chipper. Any pros and cons to each would be appreciated.

I have the chipper and really like it. Punch from under trees, nothing to carry from 100 yards and in, green side chip it checks all the boxes for me.

I've never hit a 64 as it doesn't seem like a degree that I would ever need.

I think it depends on how you hit.

I hit a 60* pretty well; never tried a 64* but it's interesting to me. I've never tried a chipper either but a lot of people like them. Try them both; think about what shots you usually do, and then pick the one that you think helps the most.

I ended up trading the 50 in for a PM grind 64. I'm glad I did! It's going to take some practice to learn it, but it saved me some strokes on its maiden voyage yesterday. Full swing, towering 45 yard shot that just stopped on a super fast green. Very happy, those 40-50 yard shots were big problems for my game.

Back