To Be Fitted or Not To Be Fitted

rogt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So having never been Fitted into golf equipment, my game isn't bad on me fitting myself. Trial and error. Looking trying for what feels the best to me. What say you all? Fitted or Not Fitted? With the chance of making any THP event that this option might be available, how much would it change your current game? Give me your fitting non fitting experiences.

Always get fitted. The goal of a fitting is to find the right piece of gear that helps minimize your dispersion. While one won't automatically get better from a fitting but the ability to have errant shots not be so errant

Fitting is an essential to me!

Fitted for sure. It is so easy these days.

I hope to trade in my clubs and get fitted for the new Callaway steelheads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see any reason not to get fitted personally. That said, my last 3 sets I've ended up standard everything.

I have done fittings before... I guess you could call them that.
- An iron shaft fitting, where I went through the lie board, and then the mizuno shaft optimizer, and lastly trackman to compare results. Didn't buy the recommended items.
-A driver shaft fitting where my current setting was compared to other setups with the same head. Didn't buy the recommended items.

Part of me was never willing to plunk down the money for the gear afterwards.

This year though, I am going to go get properly fit for irons, and then beg/borrow/steal/ebay for the properly fit components. Tired of guessing at what is right, what might be working, and being wrong.

If I could afford it I'd be fit every time. But only once in my life have I bought a msrp new club. And the "fitting" by the Nike guy at a range with range balls sucked. A professional fitting around here can run over 100 bucks and only for current clubs. So have never been able to afford, or I would.

No question here, get fitted.

Not fitted and probably won't knowing going in that there's zero chance of me buying anything from them. Kinda feel guilty about that.

Good info. I have done lie setting and have seen dramatic effect I know by shot shape when that is off. I don't hit to far off line, with irons. I have just read, reviewed about the shafts that were coming with the clubs to see if they would fit me well. And it has worked out. Driver was different I've struggled for years finding that dispersion that fits well and just fell into a shaft di 6s because it was sold to me cheap by a member. Luck. Maybe should get fit lol.

Not fitted and probably won't knowing going in that there's zero chance of me buying anything from them. Kinda feel guilty about that.

Would that keep you from trying though? No matter what you look at or try in a golf shop you are always going to try finding it cheaper. Am I wrong ?

I was fit for my current set of clubs. I liked the process and I like knowing that the clubs are exactly what I should be using. I think a lot of people don't necessarily consider it, but the changeability on modern golf equipment is really there for the fitter, not the golfer. A high quality fitter (not the guys at Golf Galaxy) can utilize all of that changeability to really dial in a club to meet your specific swing and specific performance goals.

I saw a great example recently by Peter Finch, who is a British teaching pro with a YouTube channel. He was at the recent Taylormade event and the off the shelf 2017 M1/M2 drivers performed exactly the same as his gaming driver, the 2016 M2. But then the Taylormade fitter dialed in a 2017 M1 and dramatic improvements were seen. After the fitting he gained 10+ yards of carry on average. This is a professional golfer, someone better than probably 90% of all golfers in the world, and even he saw a dramatic improvement by getting fit.

Video from Peter Finch I HIGHLY recommend watching this video.

Would that keep you from trying though? No matter what you look at or try in a golf shop you are always going to try finding it cheaper. Am I wrong ?
I might do it, I just assume that most of these guys/gals want to sell you clubs with the fitting and I have never bought new in my life, can't justify the cost. I don't like feeling pressured to buy or made to feel obligated.

Fitting is the second best tool each of us have at our disposal. First is hosting this thread.

Fitted.

Like the OP, I have never been fitted. It's a goal of mine in 2017. I think my iron shafts are a miss-fit.

So having never been Fitted into golf equipment, my game isn't bad on me fitting myself. Trial and error. Looking trying for what feels the best to me. What say you all? Fitted or Not Fitted? With the chance of making any THP event that this option might be available, how much would it change your current game? Give me your fitting non fitting experiences.

I go both ways on the issue.

How do you know if the fitter is right for you?

What if the fitter doesn't recognize obvious flaws in your swing & and posture and sets you up with a $1000.00 set of tomato stakes?

Fitting is important, but a good teaching pro can point you in the right direction after seeing you a few times.

Fittings are pretty important, even if they fit you for standard equipment at least you know what you are.

Well, I think it depends on what you consider a fitting. Is a fitting going to a box store with a guy who may or may not be any more knowledgeable than you, hitting a few clubs "stock" because that's all they have? Is a fitting going to a demo day or your local club pro even, at the range and hitting range balls, possibly with a launch monitor even, where they may have a few shaft options for example, but only one line of clubs? Or is a fitting going to one of these high end places that charge you a few hundred just for the fitting itself, but they do have a very wide selection of heads and shafts to choose from?
I've done the first two several times each, never #3 because I don't have option 3 anywhere close by. Some have been useful and informative, some haven't. But between those, a little trial and error and the knowledge I've picked up here, I have pretty much fit myself to my current set up. Is it 100% optimized, maybe maybe not. But it's better than I got from my experiences from the first two methods.

Given the choice, you always want to go the fitting route to stand the best change to end up with the proper equipment for you. Probably mush more cost efficient in the long run as well.

Always go for the fitting

Fitting experiences:
* Club Champion for driver, fw, h, w, and putter. Mistake was doing it all in the same day and being out of shape. Swing was not very good, and fittings were not very helpful. Best thing that came out of it was to use heavier shafts. That's changed my game forever in a good way. The putter fitting was absolutely garbage, but my putting strokes leaves a lot to be desired. Wedge fitting was nonexistent, just gave me a couple to take with me to test on my own. So the takeaway after paying the fee was to get lessons. Solid advice, but I didn't need to spend that money to come to that conclusion.

* Local fitter. Always been shaft specific, rarely heads. I've never stuck with his recommendations for any length of time. Selection is pretty limited. I think it's a waste to test the different shafts in different heads to draw a conclusion on only the shaft.

* Annika Academy for fw and w. Studio setup was awful. Balls ricocheting back at you, way too cramped. But did get to test outdoors which was exceedingly helpful. FW testing was ok but selection was limited. Wedge testing was interesting because I found that I full swing medium grinds well but need full grinds for short game. No real options to switch shafts in these categories.

After all that, my bag has irons with shafts tested at the local fitter, and I love those shafts. And I have wedges from the Annika Academy fitting. Everything has been trial and error.

My recommendation? Figure out what is important to you. Do you want to try lots of heads or lots of shafts? Do you care if it's indoors or outdoors? How important is a launch monitor?

After doing it all, I think fitting is very important. What I don't think is as important is a launch monitor. I am so much more concerned with being able to visually see what the entire flight looks like, and how the club feels/sounds outdoors and off real grass, and preferably with my golf ball of choice.

So I think the right kind of fitting to meet your desires is very important. I'm not willing to say all fittings are important.

Fitted quite a few times by both Big box stores and individuals all to varying degrees of success. I would like to do a full bag one day INCLUDING the Golf ball to maximize what little talent and physical ability I have left.

It seems I am all over the place in relation to what should and what does work for me, and the only way to know for sure would be the full banana fitting with someone who has all the tools and knowledge in one spot. But I am too cheap to put up the thousands of dollars it would cost to be fit and then order on the spot what is the best fit. Now it would most likely save money in the end over a year or two by not constantly changing gear but who among us can resist a new release?

Good stuff guys, will keep this in the pocket. It will help knowing what had happened in other experiances. Don't know of many good fitters in Iowa.

Back