Golf channel personalities

Brian123

Cannot Figure out how to search
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok guys, we all have our faves and ones we don't like, care to discuss

Faves- Brande Chamblee and Steve Sands

Dislikes- Rich Lerner and Inga Hammond (THEY ARE SO FAKE ITS SICKENING):act-up:

I like Frank Nobilo. Many do not, but I enjoy his commentary.

I like Nobilo as well.

Are we talking dedicated TGC talent, or do we include those "on loan" from other networks when TGC does 1st and 2nd round coverage?

Just the ones I have opinions on.

TOPS

• Stephanie Sparks - yum.
  • Peter Oosterhuis - class.
  • Kay Cockerill - funny, smart, lovely voice.
  • Brian Hammons - professional.
  • Dottie Pepper - good insight, not afraid of being honest.
  • Stina Sternberg - should be used better.
  • Vince Cellini - another who should be put to better use.

ABOVE AVERAGE

• Steve Sands/Kraig Kann - should replace Rich Lerner.
  • Kelly Tilghman - better than she gets credit for.
  • Mike Ritz - good, solid announcing.
  • Brandel Chamblee - good analyst.
  • Mark Rolfing - just good at what he does.
OKAY
  • Tom Abbott - has potential, but comes off goofy sometimes.
  • Nick Faldo - not every sentence has to be a joke.
  • Frank Nobilo - can't pinpoint why, but bugs me sometimes.
  • Iain Page - meh. but could get better.
  • Brian Hewitt - usually good, but sometimes his columns on TGC.com tick me off.
BOOOO!

• Inga Hammond - hard to look at and listen to. what's up with the head spasms and over-enunciation?
  • Tim Rosaforte - really, is he necessary?
  • Brandi Seymour - apparently, brains are optional for her job.
  • Donna Caponi-Byrnes - really.annoying.voice.
  • Adam Barr - reminds me of an infomercial pitch-man.
  • Beth Daniel - just can't stand her voice.
  • Rich Lerner - cheese. stinky cheese.
  • Andrew Magee/Alex Miceli - I'm sure they are nice people, but shut up. please just shut up.

I agree with most of the other posters, but I have a few to add:

Val Skinner - good interviews
Judy Rankin - good in the booth
Laura Baugh - dunno what happened to her, but she was used both in studio, and on the course, and was really starting to improve.

I agree with most of the other posters, but I have a few to add:

Val Skinner - good interviews
Judy Rankin - good in the booth
Laura Baugh - dunno what happened to her, but she was used both in studio, and on the course, and was really starting to improve.

Does Judy Rankin do TGC broadcasts? Because if she does, she's on my "Tops" list. Except I prefer her on the course instead of in the booth. Rankin is one of my all time favorites.

I like Rankin as well. One thing that's neat is she'll often point out something specific a golfer is doing, as a tip for us duffers. Some of them are great.

How can anyone NOT love Dottie Pepper? "Bite like a police dog!" is immortal. (Even thought she said it as a player, not an announcer.)

How has no one mentioned John Hawkins? To call this guy a moron is an insult to morons. If he's a friend or relative of someone here, my apologies.

Oh, I just thought of another - Grant Boone. Ha - my posts are beginning to sound like "Where Are they Now?". One season, TGC sent Grant to cover the Evian Masters (LPGA) event in France - alone. Not only was he alone in the booth, but he had to work with French TV coverage - sorry, but covering golf tournaments is not a strong suit for the French. The poor guy really struggled to keep a good telecast together, while the viewers were seeing way too many long shots of Lake Geneva.

Dottie Pepper for LPGA Commissioner--how cool would that be!

Oh, I just thought of another - Grant Boone. Ha - my posts are beginning to sound like "Where Are they Now?". One season, TGC sent Grant to cover the Evian Masters (LPGA) event in France - alone. Not only was he alone in the booth, but he had to work with French TV coverage - sorry, but covering golf tournaments is not a strong suit for the French. The poor guy really struggled to keep a good telecast together, while the viewers were seeing way too many long shots of Lake Geneva.

The Evian Masters is always an interesting viewing because of the French feed. Especially love it when the cut away in the middle of a shot that the announcers are discussing. Sort of puttis interruptus.

I agree with Harrys list except Kelly T. would be at the bottom and Faldo would move up a group IMO.

I can't stand Kelly T. she makes me want to run out of the room screaming.
I can tolerate Faldo, he is knowledgeable and has insights on the game that only someone with his skill in the game can bring.
Oosty is fine - his '3 metal' comments, as opposed to just calling it a 3 wood, is annoying but tolerable
Rich Lerner is I think the best Golf Channel talking head and I would like to see him doing the desk with Faldo all the time and leave KT at the hotel.

Dottie P is my favorite LPGA announcer/personality.

Kelly T is nice to look at but it's all over for me when she opens her mouth.....and speaks :banghead:

I agree 100% with your list. Thanks for saving me all that typing.:clapp:

Edit: Change that to 95%. I like Adam Barr a little more than lumping him in there with Learner. Maybe switch Barr, with Nobilo.

Are we talking dedicated TGC talent, or do we include those "on loan" from other networks when TGC does 1st and 2nd round coverage?

Just the ones I have opinions on.

TOPS

• Stephanie Sparks - yum.
  • Peter Oosterhuis - class.
  • Kay Cockerill - funny, smart, lovely voice.
  • Brian Hammons - professional.
  • Dottie Pepper - good insight, not afraid of being honest.
  • Stina Sternberg - should be used better.
  • Vince Cellini - another who should be put to better use.

ABOVE AVERAGE

• Steve Sands/Kraig Kann - should replace Rich Lerner.
  • Kelly Tilghman - better than she gets credit for.
  • Mike Ritz - good, solid announcing.
  • Brandel Chamblee - good analyst.
  • Mark Rolfing - just good at what he does.
OKAY
  • Tom Abbott - has potential, but comes off goofy sometimes.
  • Nick Faldo - not every sentence has to be a joke.
  • Frank Nobilo - can't pinpoint why, but bugs me sometimes.
  • Iain Page - meh. but could get better.
  • Brian Hewitt - usually good, but sometimes his columns on TGC.com tick me off.
BOOOO!

• Inga Hammond - hard to look at and listen to. what's up with the head spasms and over-enunciation?
  • Tim Rosaforte - really, is he necessary?
  • Brandi Seymour - apparently, brains are optional for her job.
  • Donna Caponi-Byrnes - really.annoying.voice.
  • Adam Barr - reminds me of an infomercial pitch-man.
  • Beth Daniel - just can't stand her voice.
  • Rich Lerner - cheese. stinky cheese.
  • Andrew Magee/Alex Miceli - I'm sure they are nice people, but shut up. please just shut up.

IMO Jimmy Roberts (CBS) and Rich Lerner would get my vote as the most "seamless" commentators. Roberts isn't exclusively a golf commentator, but he could easily be one of the best in the business.

I don't know enough about "who's who?" on the Golf Channel, but I do like Faldo and Tilghman together. I think it's a refreshing change of pace from the usual "X's & O's" and the gravitas other announcers trend towards.

I like Nobilo because he knows what he's talking about, Chamblee is knowledgeable too, but I can only tolerate him up to a point. As far as Rich Lerner's concerned, he thinks he's channeling Jack Whitaker and he needs to stop because it's not working (maybe used car sales?).

Dottie Pepper is solid and is someone who isn't afraid to say what's on her mind (gotta love that). I like Stina Sternberg because she (like Dottie Pepper) talks about golf rather than being the "woman" who talks about golf.

Vince Cellini is a pro and though he doesn't have a very charismatic personality, he's easy to listen to and doesn't get all "hyped up" such as guys like Nantz do.

I really don't know much about the others that have been mentioned, but I have wondered this about Alex Miceli: is he contractually obligated to keep his lips inflated to 30 p.s.i., or does he sort of just do that on his own?

-JP

Back