The Grammar & Usage Thread

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
Only problem is, I have no pending vents.

This is really stretching, but I've been telling stories about funny things my kid says. He believes that by starting a sentence with, "No offense but..." what follows becomes inoffensive. I've had limited success in disabusing him of that notion.

So, awhile ago we were going to some black tie thing. I was wearing serious ball gown, low cut, spaghetti straps, the whole deal. My kid comes out with, "No offense Mommy, but you look kind of sexy." No offense taken! :rotfl:

That is great. I love how children pick things up like that. My nephew used to always say "To be honest" before speaking. Of course he only did this when he was fibbing. It was too funny. He could never understand why we always knew.

I knew I would like this thread.

Where is this overal board you speak of? Just kidding. I am going to like this contest. We might have to put a prize up for you two.

I was including my last post on the LPGA swing thread in the overall score. :angel:

Talk Like a Pirate Day is on September 19 . . . so she can't use that!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

And here I thought it was September 16--thanks for clearing that up! I'm still forever saying "aarrgh" whenever I do something dumb. I say it a lot.

Edit: why is there a red face in the upper left hand corner of this post?

Last edited:
You know Claire,
That is a very good question. I have no idea what that is.

Test for the face like Claire had.

EDIT: I am good!

Edit: why is there a red face in the upper left hand corner of this post?

You must have clicked it in the "Post Icons" section below the message box.

I'll put a cool dude in mine.

See.

You must have clicked it in the "Post Icons" section below the message box.

I'll put a cool dude in mine.

See.

I wonder how I did that? No blowing kiss icon, so I'll settle for a bright idea.

Ooh--on topic, I heard "at this point in time" this morning. Why can't people just say, "now"?

I was watching the LPGA Kapalua tournament & heard Suzann Pettersen described as "so professionistic".

Another drive-by on the English language.

It still drives me up the wall that BBX insists on writing EX'S and not EXES. I wrote them an email a while ago now, they're still too lily to write back.

It still drives me up the wall that BBX insists on writing EX'S and not EXES. I wrote them an email a while ago now, they're still too lily to write back.

They must not be aware of the worldwide apostrophe shortage!

Wha't a're yo'u talki'ng abou't, Ju'lie?

Dang that looks Hawaiian to me!

Wha't a're yo'u talki'ng abou't, Ju'lie?

Dang that looks Hawaiian to me!

That would be Hawai'ian, now that you mention it.

ClairefromClare 1
Smallville 0

:giggle:

You know, I looked around for that but on all the "Hawai'ian" language sites I hit (and it was only a few), they had an apostrophe in "Hawai'i" but not "Hawaiian."

Claire:1;
Web: 0.

You know, I looked around for that but on all the "Hawai'ian" language sites I hit (and it was only a few), they had an apostrophe in "Hawai'i" but not "Hawaiian."

Claire:1;
Web: 0.

Just so I'm on top. :act-up:

No comment. :laugh::smirk:

Back