ESPN Baseball Challenge

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
We have two THP groups set up on ESPN for the baseball fanatics.

This one is a weekly group. You set your roster for the week every Sunday:
Group name: THP Baseball
Password: Hackers

The other one is a daily group, you can change your roster daily:
Group name: THP
Password: Hackers

Here's the link: http://games.espn.go.com/bbc/en/frontpage. If you join both groups, you will have to create a separate entry. Make sure to use your THP Screen Name and one entry per person per group.

Here's how to play. Note that the roster changes section applies to the daily group.
ESPN Baseball Challenge rosters are composed of 9 offensive players and 1 pitching staff which must fit under the $50 million dollar salary cap. The 9 offensive players on a team's roster consist of one from each of the following positions:
Catcher (C)
First Baseman (1B)
Second Baseman (2B)
Third Baseman (3B)
Shortstop (SS)
Left Fielder (LF)
Center Fielder (CF)
Right Fielder (RF)
Designated Hitter (DH)
For the 10th position you will select a team's Pitching staff (PS). For example, if you select the Boston Red Sox for your pitching staff and Josh Beckett, Hedeki Okajima, and Jonathan Papelbon all pitch then you will get the composite score for their combined performance on that day.

In order for a roster to be complete, all 10 roster slots must be filled by a player/staff while not exceeding the salary limit. Salaries will be updated once a week (on Monday mornings at 3:00 AM ET), and are based on a combination of the player/staff's season-to-date and last seven days statistics in the scoring categories. Players can be moved onto your roster by choosing a player and clicking on the "Add Player" button.

Players that are added to your team's roster by 3:00 AM ET will accumulate statistics on the following day. For example, if you add Derek Jeter to your roster on Friday, June 4 at 10pm PT, he will begin receiving statistics for games beginning on Saturday, June 5. You will automatically be brought through this process when you first create your roster.

ESPN Baseball Challenge takes place over two contest periods, one before the All-Star break and one after, as described in the Official Rules. Note that every team's roster will be deleted at the end of the first contest period, and must be recreated for the second contest period.

Scoring
The five offensive statistical categories which count in Baseball Challenge are Runs Scored (R), Total Bases (TB), Runs Batted In (RBI), Walks (BB) and Stolen Bases (SB). For each instance a player on your team's roster achieves these in a game, one point will be awarded.

BBC will also include the pitching staff slot. For this there are six statistical categories which count and note that negative points are possible. The categories are Innings Pitched (IP), Earned Runs (ER), Hits (H), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), and Wins (W). The following points will be awarded/deducted for each instance one of them take place: 1 out = +1 (complete IP = +3), ER = -3, Hit = -1, BB = -1, K = +1, Win = +5. There are no points awarded for saves or holds. Also please note that you are selecting an entire pitching staff, not an individual pitcher. This means you receive the entire line from a pitching staff. In the event that a player you have selected for a particular day is involved in a double-header on that day, you will earn the player's stats for both games played on that day.

There are eight people in the weekly group and six people in the daily group. It looked like there was more interest in this than we're getting. Is it because it's not a traditional fantasy league?

I don't really know how popular fantasy baseball is anyway, I've never been involved in a league before. This may be normal.

Is it because it's not a traditional fantasy league?

Thats what was keeping me from it. It wouldnt let me join the weekly so I just joined the daily one.

Thats what was keeping me from it. It wouldnt let me join the weekly so I just joined the daily one.

TGM, you just have to setup another profile for the weekly one.

Week One standings in the weekly group:

RNK ENTRY, TOTAL POINTS
1 claycribbs, 354
2 Spank818, 345
3 White Rhino, 301
4 jknightgolf, 286
5 Islander,281
6 Smallville, 266
7 Thorpeto, 229
8 Fildini, 0

Back