Kraft Nabisco Championship [Spoilers] + Contest Update

Friday Report

Just in from dinner, and we're beat, but I'll do my best to give the day's recap.

There was a good crowd (100 or so) gathered at the 10th as Lorena and Juli teed off. The two had frequent casual chats as they played their first 9. I spotted Andy North and Paul Azinger as well as Beth Daniel among the fans. Ha! - I still haven't seen any TV coverage - seems like all of the announcers are walking the course. Lorena's round was rather unremarkable except for the occasional hooked drive - especially on the 16th, and the shot in the water on the 18th, which resulted in a bogey. Putting was not as consistent as she'd probably like, but it is showing improvement. Juli's round was really up and down, and she was clearly unhapppy with her play. Though her final score was in improvement over the first round, she struggled to make putts drop and to place approach shots where she'd like.

At the conclusion of their round, an unusual thing occurred. I happened to see it, as I was headded toward the clubhouse at the time. I don't know what to think of it. Many fans had gathered at the autograph area outside of the scoring tent at 9. Lorena had begun to give autographs, when Juli approached her, and led her away from the crowd, through the auto display area, and onto the back area of the principal putting green. There they had a quiet chat, Juli took hold of Lorena's shoulders, and Lorena began to cry. So I don't know what happened, but it was definately wierd.

More tears - now I was at the foot of the stairs leading up to the clubhouse and Christina Kim was in tears as a fan was trying to console her. Wow - lots of emotion today.

Ok - after lunch, I squeezed in a free lesson at the driving range by an LPGA Teaching Pro - fun - then we trotted after Suzann's pairing. A smaller, and really quiet crowd, except when Suzann grew frustrated with her play. What intensity! She may have felt frustrated - but she finished well with 2 birdies.

On Saturday, we'll likely sit in the stands and watch some of the early pairings play, then walk along with Lorena and Karen. Lorena has requested 50 additional tickets for the weekend rounds, so our viewing may not be as easy as it has been. Hope you're all enjoying it!

Last edited:
At the conclusion of their round, an unusual thing occurred. I happened to see it, as I was headded toward the clubhouse at the time. I don't know what to think of it. Many fans had gathered at the autograph area outside of the scoring tent at 9. Lorena had begun to give autographs, when Juli approached her, and led her away from the crowd, through the auto display area, and onto the back area of the principal putting green. There they had a quiet chat, Juli took hold of Loren'a's shoulders, and Lorena began to cry.

ummmmmmmmm, that's a little, strange?

ummmmmmmmm, that's a little, strange?

I know. I'd heard that Lorena might have an announcement comming up -related to her Foundation, I think. I hope we don't get an announcement from Juli.

I know. I'd heard that Lorena might have an announcement comming up -related to her Foundation, I think. I hope we don't get an announcement from Juli.

Well, I would think it would involve Juli rather than Ochoa. If something potentially bad happened regarding Ochoa, why would Juli be the one to tell her?

Maybe Juli was telling Ochoa she's retiring? And she just played her last round w/ her?

I obviously have no idea. I'm just guessing.

I've heard too, that along w/ being a very nice, "old fashioned" woman, that Ochoa is a bit emotional as well.

Did you hear that Ochoa cooked breakfast for the maintenance staff at the course there in Houston?

I thought that was neat.

Maybe Juli was telling Ochoa she's retiring? And she just played her last round w/ her?

I obviously have no idea. I'm just guessing.

I've no idea either - but that's what I think happened. :(

Interesting Ricey, good detective work. I am wondering if it is something affecting everyone of the tour and that is why you saw Christina crying too. Juli would be one of the first to know being a player rep. Perhaps an illness of someone close to the tour? Just speculation of course. Thanks for the report!

Moving day!

I am wondering if it is something affecting everyone of the tour and that is why you saw Christina crying too.

Moving day!

No - I think Christina was clearly dissappointed in her own play. Her Dad's been here coaching and encouraging on Wed, then just as a presence and moving along with the crowds on Thurs and Fri. I think she was upset at missing the cut.

8:30 here now and windy :bad:. With the tee times as spread out as they are, then trying to squeeze in church and dinner tonight, it's unlikely that I'll make a Sat post, but I will try to make one more on Sun. Hope you're all enjoying the telecast.

Thanks Ricey.

Coverage officially kicks off for Sat. Scores are quite good today. Stupples looks great as does Yani. Nice to see Suzann put it back together.

Loving Scott Van Pelt in the booth calling the action.

These greens are moving right now and its nice to see these girls putt on the really fast surfaces. The cream will rise to the top around the greens and some are showing just how good they are.

awesome golf today. it was cool watching suzann's post round interview, i automatically flashed back to thp's interview. stupples and ochoa's on course commentary is fantastic but stupples' outfit is just awful, especially from behind. someone should say something before letting her out in the morning dressed like that.

awesome golf today. it was cool watching suzann's post round interview, i automatically flashed back to thp's interview. stupples and ochoa's on course commentary is fantastic but stupples' outfit is just awful, especially from behind. someone should say something before letting her out in the morning dressed like that.

Yeah, that was pertty bad. Loved Ochoa's look today. Clean and classic. Stupples still wears the nylons as well I believe due to her ongoing treatments.

Yeah, that was pertty bad. Loved Ochoa's look today. Clean and classic. Stupples still wears the nylons as well I believe due to her ongoing treatments.

yeah, lorena looked good for sure. the nylons didn't bother me, it was the shirt/short combo on stupples that was just tough on the eyes.

Saturday Report

Did I mention we walked 10 or so miles on Friday? Oy - I'm still sore.

Ok. Gotta player at our hotel - So Yeon Ryu. Surprised the heck out of us as she strode through the hotel lobby in a skort, and lugging her own clubs. Even though the starting times were spread out over almost the entire day, we quickly finished breakfast, and arrived at the course at about 10. This allowed a ton of time for me to watch group after group tee off at 1, (Angela and Grace had such beautiful drives - Grace's just launched high, straight, and down the fairway while Angela's sailed a bit lower but just as pretty), watch some of the practice on the range and greens, then grab lunch and stride off among the Stupples/Ochoa crowd. Crowd size, by the way, approached 200 or so. Ok, equal time here - I like both players, but watching Karen was great. Lorena was once again driving balls into the rough, while Karen easily placed hers in the middle of the fairways. Karen's front 9 birdies were gorgeous to watch. Lorena struggled to place approach shots in adventageous places on the greens. Karen consistently outdrove Lorena - something we are not used to seeing. Lorena's front 9 was ugly (for her). Spouse and I just kept wondering what the heck was up with her today. :confused2: The back 9 was great to witness, though. Both players were making long putts, and drives were straight and pure. Lorena's birdie, birdie finish gives us hope for Sunday.

Later in the day, I took time to note crowd sizes. Karrie and Stacey's following numbered about 30 while Michelle and Jennifer Song (top collegiate player) had about 100 fans (including Mom and Dad). Suzann had a good size fan following including a group of 8 or 10 flag waving Norwegians - kinda fun.

We're out early in the am - This looks like it will be an exciting finish, and I'll hope to make one more post.

Bummer, Natalie missed the cut by 1 point :crying: I'm behind, was watching TiVod DVR since we just got back home a few moments ago :(

Can Pettersen catch Yani Tsung?

hope so, except I took Yani to win in the contest. So if Suzann finishes second, that will be OK too. Wie and McPherson probably took any chance I have and threw it out the window anyway!

We just left there. We got a chance to see everyone come through on the 9th hole! Did everyone see what Sakura Yokonine was wearing??

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Holy cripes. Anyone catch Lorena slamming her ball down into the green?

What a rare, and unexpected outburst.

Yani put on an exhitbition for Sunday golf today. That front 9 was simply perfect. Pettersen is just inches away, but looks like she may be running out of time.

Yani put on an exhitbition for Sunday golf today. That front 9 was simply perfect. Pettersen is just inches away, but looks like she may be running out of time.

Where is her killer instinct?

She's playing well, but needs to sink those putts.

Nobody can question Suzann's killer instinct. It has been her demise at times. Sometimes putts just do not fall.

Well, I think Suzann just summed up that shot. Whoops. Not something that should be part of a broadcast in my opinion.

Well, I think Suzann just summed up that shot. Whoops. Not something that should be part of a broadcast in my opinion.

That probably just lost the tournament for her.

Back