Mizuno MP 60's too much?

flowrider

goin with the flow
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all,
I'm a 19 index coming back from a ten year layoff from golf. I was wondering with my handicap if the MP60's are too much for me?
I have owned the following:
  • Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades (FG17?)
  • Tour Edge Bazooka Ironwoods (don't know what I was thinking but stupid easy to hit)
  • Wilson Staff Progressives
  • Macgregor NVG's (didn't like)

I'm also thinking of the Wilson Ci7/6 because they can be had quite cheaply right now. The Mizuno's are half price right now at my local shop because they only have lefties left!

Opinions?

Hey Flow,

It all depends on your game and what are your strengths and weaknesses. I have friends who are great ballstrikers but find their strokes off the tee. So, even though they are a 15+ handicap they are good enough to play a set of irons suited to a more accomplished player.

I reviewed the Wilson Ci7's and while they are a nice iron they are just not in the same category as the MP60. Mizuno makes a very high quality forged iron so their feel is impressive.

The best advice is to find a quality fitter and demo, demo, demo. Not only should you get these out on the course first, I'd find yourself a launch monitor and check your numbers to find what shaft works best for you.

While at the PGA show we were listening to Trevor Immelman talk about irons and he said "one of the classic mistakes amateurs make is getting an iron that is not forgiving enough for them". He spoke about technology and how far it has come and that most of the pros are playing forgiving irons now because they have so much feel compared to years ago.

Try out as many irons as you can and go with what feels best and then get them fit for you.

While at the PGA show we were listening to Trevor Immelman talk about irons and he said "one of the classic mistakes amateurs make is getting an iron that is not forgiving enough for them". He spoke about technology and how far it has come and that most of the pros are playing forgiving irons now because they have so much feel compared to years ago.

Try out as many irons as you can and go with what feels best and then get them fit for you.

I'd also throw in a few votes to check out the Nike split cavities... I hit them at the Nike demo day and I was impressed. I've never been a Nike guy but they felt very nice.

Id say that you may want a set of irons that are a little more forgiving.
I think youd be a lot happer with a set of MX-200s or MP-52s because they will be more forgiving.
Thats not to say that you cant play MP-60s, just know that you will likely mishit the ball more and its going to make the game more frustrating and more difficult than it would be if you had a more forgiving set of irons.

Hmm I thought the MP52's were tougher to hit than the MP60's but maybe I was wrong. I definitely want more forgiveness. I guess the MP60's seem so attractive because they are on sale for $500 up here at Golf Town. The MX25's which I would probably be more happy gaming are $700.

I did mention the Wilson Ci series as well mainly because the Ci6's can be had for $150US or the Ci7's for around $250 US. Both definitely more in my price range. I am more than happy playing clubs that a couple of years older if the price difference is huge. I had a look at the split cavities and they are certainly nice.

All that being said I would love to go forged again if I could but it's not a deal breaker.

There are tons of great forged clubs out there if that is what you are looking for. Hit as many as you can at the store and get them fitted once you are set on which ones you want. I have reviewed a couple of forged sets in the last couple of months on the front page if that helps.

Thanks JB I haven't had the time to fully read through things yet but I will.

Tons of great members here to help as well. All with great input.

I like the Wilson Ci7's and the old Wilson Staff Progressives that you used to have. If I had to pick from the list you mentioned, my personal pick would be for the Ci7's.

Dan D reviewed them on the front page and loved the Ci7s.

Dan D reviewed them on the front page and loved the Ci7s.

JB, can you post a link to that review? i cant find it for the life of me (sorry)

thanks...

Great review of the Ci7. I guess another trip to the shop is in order.
Thanks for the link as well.

Great review of the Ci7. I guess another trip to the shop is in order.
Thanks for the link as well.

pretty nice club for the price... personally, I prefer a forged iron but if you're on a tight budget that's not always the easiest option.

Hmm I thought the MP52's were tougher to hit than the MP60's but maybe I was wrong. I definitely want more forgiveness. I guess the MP60's seem so attractive because they are on sale for $500 up here at Golf Town. The MX25's which I would probably be more happy gaming are $700.
The MP-52s are more of a player's cavity-back. They have a pocket cavity with the power bar the distributes the weight lower, so the club is more forgiving on mishits.
The MP-60s are a traditional blade. They do have somewhat of a cavity-back design, but just barely.
You could also try looking on Ebay. You could probably get MP-52s or MP-60s for less than $500.
Last year I bought my MX-15s for $180 and I could have bought a set of MX-25s, but they went for $250, which was more than I wanted to spend at the time.
I seem to recall quite a few sets of MP-60s that looked to be in really good shape selling for $300-$400 or less.

Well one thing is for certain is that there is sometimes less choice for me being a lefty. However it also means that sometimes I luck into a great deal. I'll start scanning the 'bay and see what's there.

I'm playing CG2's right now but I will deffinitely go for something more forgiving the next time around, at least in the 4-7 irons, I like having a tin topline or players profile in at least my 9i and PW.

Well one thing is for certain is that there is sometimes less choice for me being a lefty. However it also means that sometimes I luck into a great deal. I'll start scanning the 'bay and see what's there.
If you are interested in Mizunos, Id go with a set of MX-25s. They are forged but they are GI irons, so they are super easy to hit.
You also might not want to only think about forged irons because even the pros say that nowdays there isnt much of a difference in feel from cast to forged.

Back