The John Daly Non-Golf Incidents thread

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/shag-bag/daly-involved-auto-accident-30196/?hj=xfs

Daly involved in auto accident
REX HOGGARD, Senior Writer, GolfChannel.com
Posted 06/20/2009, 8:02 PM EST

FARMINGDALE, N.Y. – John Daly is not even playing the 109th U.S. Open and he’s still making news. The Mobile (Ala.) Press-Register reported Saturday that Daly was involved in an accident while driving his RV through a tunnel on Monday.

According to the report the fan and awnings were torn from Daly’s RV and smashed into a 1998 Cadillac DeVille owned by Mobile resident Jimmy Roberson.

Police pulled Daly over after the accident and he told authorities he wasn’t aware it had happened. Roberson’s attorney claimed the incident caused $8,000 in damage to his car and that his client had suffered some neck and shoulder injuries, although the police report did not note any injuries.

"We'll present it as a claim (to Daly’s representation) and see what happens. Hopefully we can avoid litigation,” Roberson’s attorney, Steve Moore, told the Press-Register.

In a posting on his Twitter account Daly wrote that he was happy neither he nor his children were hurt and questioned Roberson’s injuries.

“Was told by the cop at accident the guy was fine (which happens to be a preacher) – how about this man of (G)od now sayin he's hurt – UNREAL,” he wrote.

Stay tuned.

I know nothing of this case, but this wreaks of faking it.

Fan and awnings torn from the RV? He was driving around with that stuff hanging off his vehicle?

I know nothing of this case, but this wreaks of faking it.

Definitely a possibility.

But who doesn't notice when they ram the side of their RV into a tunnel and rip the fan and awnings off?

That I agree with.

John Daly. Duh! hehe

I'm sorry. You don't get credit for that answer because you forgot to phrase it in the form of a question.

snljtorg-gameshow-celebrity_jeopardy-ape_tit-03.jpg

Dayum! I hate it when I do that!

Does this work:

What is Harry doing in that dorky hat?

More details:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-gen/ap/General_Golf_News/GLF_Daly_Bus.html

highlights mine.

Daly's bus too big for an Alabama tunnel
By DOUG FERGUSON
AP Golf Writer

FARMINGDALE, N.Y. — John Daly's bus turned out to be too big for a tunnel.

Daly said a confusing set of signs at the entrance of the Bankhead Tunnel in Mobile, Ala., caused the top of his bus to be heavily damaged, with awnings and other parts hitting a Cadillac going in the other direction.

Daly said he and his 17-year-old daughter, Shynah, were shaken but not injured.

"In 17 years of driving a bus, I've never had an experience like this," Daly said Saturday evening. "The sign said 'No trucks, cargo or hazardous material in the right lane.' I'm reading the sign and don't see the (clearance) footage. I'm think I've got to go to the left lane, and before I know it, the roof is torn out."

Now, the two-time major champion might have another mess.

The Mobile Press-Register reported that the 1998 Cadillac driven by Jimmy Roberson of Mobile sustained damage to the windshield, roof and trunk during the accident Monday, according to the police report.

Contacted by the newspaper, Roberson referred all questions to his attorney, Steve Moore.

"We're at the claims stage right now," Moore told the Press-Register. He said Roberson had significant damage to the car and "some neck and shoulder injuries."

"We'll present it as a claim and see what happens," he said. "Hopefully, we can avoid litigation."

Daly said he was unaware of any injuries when he returned to the tunnel.

"Unreal," he said.

According to the traffic accident from the Mobile Police Department, Daly was traveling eastbound toward the tunnel. The clearance is 12 feet high, and anything that hits chains dangling from the sign are to set off an alarm.

Daly said he kept driving and picked up speed at the other end to avoid getting stuck.

He was on his way to Florida so his daughter could have lap-band surgery, the same procedure that helped Daly lose 60 pounds.

"I said, 'Honey, it's the only way I could do it,'" Daly said.

He was to leave Sunday for a four-week trip to Europe. Daly recently returned to the PGA Tour from a six-month suspension and made the cut in the St. Jude Classic in Memphis, Tenn., last week.

His focus is on the "Race to Dubai" in Europe. Daly's four-week trip will conclude with the British Open, where he is a past champion.

Slightly different story from Daly now, eh?

Previously:
Police pulled Daly over after the accident and he told authorities he wasn’t aware it had happened.

1. What kind of name is "Shynah"?
  2. A teenager headed for lap band surgery? That's sad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-daly-golf&prov=ap&type=lgns

Judge orders golfer John Daly to pay legal fees

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Professional golfer John Daly has been ordered to pay almost $272,000 in legal fees for his unsuccessful libel lawsuit against The Florida Times-Union.

Duval County Circuit Judge Hugh Carithers ordered Daly to pay $263,088 in attorney’s fees, plus costs of $8,675.99 and 8 percent interest rate per year until it is paid.

Carithers dismissed the lawsuit in March. He ruled that former columnist Mike Freeman’s statements in a 2005 column were either true or constitutionally protected opinion.

Calls to Daly’s attorney, Lydia A. Jones, and Daly’s agent, Bud Martin, and Times-Union publisher Lucy Talley were not immediately returned.

geez, is all this stuff recent??? sounds like he is still a mess

geez, is all this stuff recent??? sounds like he is still a mess

The lawsuit was dismissed a few months ago, but the judge just ordered Daly to pay the newspaper's legal fees.

Daly had sued in 2005, alleging a column by Freeman written during The Player's Championship that year defamed him.

Freeman's column said: "How does Daly not fail the scoundrel sniff test with fans despite possessing definite Thug Life qualifications. Look at the Daly blog. Domestic violence accusations? Yup. Substance abuse issues? Unfortunately, three different kids from three different moms, making him the Shawn Kemp of golf? Yes. A former wife indicted for laundering illegal drug profits? Roger that."

Good news on the lawyer's fees. If the losers had to pay the winners' attorneys fees here, like they do in civil law countries, we'd have a lot fewer law suits.

John Daly gets own reality show to air on Golf Channel - ESPN

Daly gets own reality show
Associated Press

GRAND BLANC, Mich. -- Really, John Daly insists he's not a beer-swilling, troublemaking guy anymore.

Daly said Wednesday an upcoming reality show on the Golf Channel, featuring him, will provide a glimpse of his new-and-improved boring life.

"I'm more laid-back," he said in an interview with The Associated Press between puffs of a cigarette in the parking lot of Warwick Hills, the site of this week's Buick Open. "It won't have the hustle and bustle as the last show."

The Golf Channel had a 13-part series, "The Daly Planet," in 2006, showcasing his wild life.

The first of at least eight episodes of the yet-to-be-named reality show will air in early 2010.

"I think 'Out of the Rough' is the perfect title," Daly said.

The popular player said he's focusing on his golf career, which has been marked by the highs of winning the British Open and PGA Championship and lows created by problems outside the ropes.

Daly returned to the PGA Tour earlier this year after a six-month suspension, the second time the tour has suspended him for unbecoming conduct. Two other times, he agreed to sit out to get his life in order.

He has been to alcohol rehab twice, has been married three times and wrote an autobiography that was as much about drinking, sex and gambling as it was about his golf.

"I haven't had a drink in a while," Daly said.

Golf Channel senior producer Al Pollock, who has known Daly since 1994 and has been with him during filming of the upcoming show, said he hasn't seen Daly have a sip of alcohol in a long time.

"He's a different person," Pollock said. "This show will not be as crazy as the last show. But it's going to show a different side -- the real side -- of John Daly. He's lived through a lot of peaks and valleys. Now, he's got his stuff together.

"He's more serious, especially about golf. He's lost a lot of weight," Pollock added.

Daly said he has lost 81 pounds since February, when he ballooned to 286 pounds.

His next goal is to shave strokes off his game so that he can add to his total of five PGA Tour victories.

"I'm practicing a lot and I'm working hard, but it's not paying off yet," he said. "I'm real frustrated with my putting."

The day before competing in the first round of the Buick Open, a crew planned to follow him as he recorded a song he wrote at Kid Rock's studio and performed mundane tasks such as ironing the colorful pants he would sport at Warwick Hills.

"I'm still having fun, but I'm more serious," Daly said. "I'm finally the guy so many people have wanted me to be for so many years."

Back