New Nike Tiger Woods Commercial

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the new Nike Ad featuring Tiger Woods. What are your thoughts. So many are tearing it apart right now. Not sure how I feel about it.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5NTRvlrP2NU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5NTRvlrP2NU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I saw that on ESPN and I thought it was a story but alas it was a commercial. Not a fan of it. It doesn't really tell me anything and it sure as hell doesn't soften Tiger's image. It's like I'm going to cast doom on the field at Augusta a la Empire Strikes Back with Vader just looking at the screen with that trademark breathing. Not very endearing IMO.

I am with you JB, not sure how I feel. On the one hand, I think there is some raw truth in this commercial, a father giving advice or guidance to his son. The other side of me says, what in the world does this have to do with Nike. It is almost like a campaign advertisement.

I thought it was weird as hell.

It seems a little ... strange. The timing for this doesn't work at all for me. I'm not sure how this enhances or effectively promotes Nike. They should have laid low for a while, IMHO.

It seems a little ... strange. The timing for this doesn't work at all for me. I'm not sure how this enhances or effectively promotes Nike. They should have laid low for a while, IMHO.
Exactly. the "TW" brand is UP 8% since the scandals broke...

Lay low and collect the revenue.

for the non-tiger fan/well educated tiger follower, this commercial makes zero sense because it is centered around the voice of the late earl woods. in my opinion it was good timing to have a commercial, but something a little more easy flowing and maybe even comic or golf related would have suited the situation better. just my two cents

I dont get it.

:banghead:
My computer sound doesn't work at the moment!

Im curious where that stat is from, because the Golf Datatech numbers are much different. Is that just on shoes, apparel, clubs, or everything?

That commercial is mind boggling!! Poor commercial for TW's and Nike IMO

My first reaction is a puzzled one. What is this trying to say or convey to us about Tiger?

I'm not sure.

I guess I don't get it?

Im curious where that stat is from, because the Golf Datatech numbers are much different. Is that just on shoes, apparel, clubs, or everything?

I heard the same thing on CNBC last week as well.

I have no idea what Nike or Tiger is trying to say with this commercial? Anyone have any insight?

They must be including the club line. Nike classifies all VR clubs as TW clubs instead of just the TW branded one when doing stats. Golf Datatech only includes brands that have TW on it. That has to be the difference. And if it is, part of it could be other Nike players winning majors and getting major publicity.

Non-sense! advertising a negative results in negative exposure. I'm extremely surprised Tigers camp went with it. How on earth can they expect to reach a common ground with the viewers? I've been on this median way too long to see a positive direction for the Tiger brand in this type of advertising. I don't get it!

i'm seriously mind boggled about this ad. advertising is my profession and i'm just not sure who/what benefits from this ad. no company spends that kind of money without expecting some sort of return and i'm just not sure what nike's selling in the ad. seems to me like a way for tiger to say sorry without having to say it himself. his pop would be rolling in his grave.

===== QUOTE CobraX51 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Colin Cowherd on his show pretty much had a "sex sells" segment on Tiger and all and gave that stat.

Looks like it was from CNBC...Golfsmith said the sales of the TW brand of Nike are up 8 percent over the last 5 months, compared to the same period of time last year. I'll post the link.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Colin Cowherd on his show pretty much had a "sex sells" segment on Tiger and all and gave that stat.

Looks like it was from CNBC...Golfsmith said the sales of the TW brand of Nike are up 8 percent over the last 5 months, compared to the same period of time last year. I'll post the link.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

yeah, I saw that too. I wonder how much is because of the economy getting better for many and how much is for other reasons. Its neither here nor there if you ask me. Like I said, the Golf DataTech numbers show something very different surprisingly. I like the TW label most of the time and ahve about 10 of the shirts.

Because you buy into it? Your on their list.

Umm.... say what?

I thought it was interesting, and creative; Nike's way of acknowledging the TW scandal. If I were in charge of advertising at Nike I wouldn't have given it a GO though.

Back