4..3..2..1..Scratch or Bust!

Great read Ryan. I hope you make some progress and achieve your goal. I work in the restaurant business as well so I know about being on your feet all day. I'm a bartender but I spent a little time in management and it can be tough to find the time to go play when you're working 45-50 hours a week. One of our newest managers used to be a golf pro and now he only plays a few times a year. When I'm asked to pursue a management position I always say "it would cut into my golf time" :)

Thanks for your time!

This reminds me that a lot of times one just has to somehow get lucky. I sometimes think how many people are out there pertaining to any sport who have the drive and the talent and the passion to be professional but lack the resources of knowhow, time and money to have ever done so or just never caught the right breaks to have ever done so even with the other resources.

To take things an exaggerated step further, I can wonder how many potential "hall of famers" in a given sport are living day to day lives among the masses if only they were fortunate enough to pursue their dream but were not lucky enough to ever do it or in some cases never even realize any of it.

Just some thoughts I always found interesting but Anyway, I do wish you luck with your hopes and dreams to be a pro golfer. And I do hope all the things fall into place for you to give it an honest try. The whole thread has been good to read.

I've always thought the same thing. You see some golfers on tour and just scratch your head. They have big names all over them, they get media attention and yet they can't make a cut to save their lives. However, there they are every week somehow playing the next tournament.

Then I've played with a guy a few years back that was scary good. I never saw his end score but I know he shot 5-6 under. We never looked for his ball, he never hit a second ball after a bad first and just played awesome golf. Yet, when I asked him why he wasn't pro he just said he didn't have the money to make it.

I was blown away at how truly good this guy was. He was also super nice and humble about everything.

Makes you wonder huh?

Wow! What a lesson today with Mark. This was the first true lesson we've had and I made serious progress in about 45 minutes. My progress really started from shot number 1 and just went from there.

A lot of things have been getting out of whack for me but we corrected them and it was pure magic.

After 30 shots with my 59* wedge he stopped and said, " You've hit 28/30 perfect shots." He could have been trying to build some confidence but I noticed too how well I was striking everything.

He specifically told me to write some notes down so here they are.

1) stand tall and squat to the ball
2) more shoulder turn and less hands
3) awkward is good right now. Natural comes later.

My biggest issue has become that I'm slouching over to address the ball. Instead I need to stand tall and squat into my posture. Almost all of my problems come right back to posture. Unfortunately, after tearing my ACL over 2 years ago my posture and balance has been bad everywhere in my life. My left leg lost a lot of strength and it's never come back. So I favor my right side when swinging and it causes issues.

As I squat into my shots I find my balance by feeling where the weight is on my feet. As soon as I feel the balls of my feet have the most pressure, I know I'm ready to swing.

That's about everything for now. I'll add more if I remember anything else.

#ImWithChad

That is bloody good news bud. Glad you seem to have found a good coach, as that will inspire confidence if you trust what he says and can act on it.

When things start going wrong it is always best to re check the basics of grip, posture and alignment before tinkering with swing etc.

Good luck and stick with it.

Solid tips there Ryan

Wow! Everything came together for me today.

I shot an even par 36 on 9 which is my best 9 of the year from what I can remember.

Standing taller is helping me so much but I'm still catching most shots out on the toe. I'm having to remember to keep down through the shot. I'm not saying keeping my head down so I don't top it, but keeping my body down and through the shot. I guess the actual term may be to "stay level" all the way through my shot.

I knew my miss and could play it all day. It takes a ton of stress off your game when you know your miss is consistent.

I should have another lesson within a week or so and I'm hoping we can continue to fix posture and get my hands quieter through my swing.

#ImWithChad

This is what THP is all about, not only playing golf but living it. I hope the best for you and your golfing dream!

Cool story man. I missed this somehow. Cannot wait to follow your journey.

Good luck. Maybe the Apex's can help as well!!!

Good Luck man. Keep at it and I know you'll reach your goal. Keep feeding us updates as you can. it's great to follow along.

This is what THP is all about, not only playing golf but living it. I hope the best for you and your golfing dream!

Cool story man. I missed this somehow. Cannot wait to follow your journey.

Good luck. Maybe the Apex's can help as well!!!

Good Luck man. Keep at it and I know you'll reach your goal. Keep feeding us updates as you can. it's great to follow along.

Thanks all! I hope to continue the updates but winter is setting in very quickly. We had snow today for the first time so my season will be winding down soon.

We can usually play into October and most times into November. After that, it's a frozen tundra until April.

#ImWithChad

Well just a quick update. With the Utah weather being unpredictable and my new job I've played 6-7 nine hole rounds the last 6 weeks. I've shot even par 36 twice, 37 once, 38 twice, 39 and 40 each once.

I haven't been practicing though as time just doesn't allow that. With my new irons almost here, it will be time for the range and no more course play. It's been a great year and I'm stoked for next!

#ImWithChad

Well, this winter was pretty bad. I didn't swing a club from the end of November until the end of February. I got one range session in and a nine hole round in. I shot a one over 36. Felt really good and the game was pretty solid.

I've found that hovering my driver seems to keep everything more in sync and will continue to work on everything. The new Apex irons were absolutely amazing!

And the season begins.....just read the whole thread for the fist time.....good luck Ryan!

Well...new year and a new driver! I had no intentions to get a new driver this year but Golf Galaxy was offering 50% more on trade in if you buy a 2014 club. So I grabbed my fiancé and off we went.

I took my TM Rocketbladez, RFX driver and 4 wood. The Apex irons have easily replaced the TM irons and I just never got along with the 4w no matter what I tried. So with a good trade in I could easily get a new driver if wanted. I went in looking at the Big Bertha, Big Bertha Alpha and the SLDR. The numbers had to be drastic for me to switch as I love the RFX and they certainly were.

SLDR: loud and didn't love the stock shafts available to me.

Big Bertha: numbers were almost identical to the RFX with the same misses.

RFX: missing all over the place with only two good shots in 15 swings or so. Spin was high which I found odd but it was super consistent.

Big Bertha Alpha: absolute bombs and great dispersion. Spin was dropped by about 700 rpm and added around 20 yards on average.

The top average is the RFX and the bottom is my swings on the BBA.

I can't wait to get out and hit this thing on a course!

After a lot of pondering and trying to decide how to get my game back on track, I have an appointment for a swing evaluation at GolfTec this Saturday.

I had a putter fitting last week with the pro Ben and it just sold me on the idea to switch coaches yet again. My old coach was a good coach but could never set up lessons. You can be the best coach in the world but matters little if you don't teach lessons. I'm excited to see what GolfTec and Ben can do. I'm very much a visual learner so seeing video of my swing is an absolute must for me.

I just have a hard time believing those swing numbers . I have never used a trackman or flight scope .. But it just doesn't add up... IMO . I hAd a buddy that did it , said he is 285 off the tee. . He is realistically 245 to 255 , but very accurate . Maybe because those units are in a controlled environment . I would be hesitant of those devices

I've played with Ryan and seen him uncork some of those monster drives. #outingapprovedbighitter

I just have a hard time believing those swing numbers . I have never used a trackman or flight scope .. But it just doesn't add up... IMO . I hAd a buddy that did it , said he is 285 off the tee. . He is realistically 245 to 255 , but very accurate . Maybe because those units are in a controlled environment . I would be hesitant of those devices

I promise, those numbers aren't lying. Here in Utah with some altitude 320y drives are pretty normal.

In Florida I found myself losing a little less than 10% and was consistently 285 off the tee.

I may be a basement dwelling internet golfer in some aspects, distance isn't one of them though.

I promise, those numbers aren't lying. Here in Utah with some altitude 320y drives are pretty normal.

In Florida I found myself losing a little less than 10% and was consistently 285 off the tee.

I may be a basement dwelling internet golfer in some aspects, distance isn't one of them though.[/QUOTE

I got to try this trackman thing .. I'm just not sure about it . I believe you , but my buddy tried it and told him he is 280 to 285 off the tee ? He only hits 245 to 255 ( he is a 6 handicap) . Just like the Skypro I have , I totally question that unit as well . I had 109 on there , played 3 rounds this year .. And I'm still 255 to 265 off the tee . Which is fine for me , but with 109 I should be tour quality distance . I have to see this unit for myself

I've played with Ryan and seen him uncork some of those monster drives. #outingapprovedbighitter

Dean is #outingapprovedfunashell

I may be a basement dwelling internet golfer in some aspects, distance isn't one of them though.[/QUOTE

I got to try this trackman thing .. I'm just not sure about it . I believe you , but my buddy tried it and told him he is 280 to 285 off the tee ? He only hits 245 to 255 ( he is a 6 handicap) . Just like the Skypro I have , I totally question that unit as well . I had 109 on there , played 3 rounds this year .. And I'm still 255 to 265 off the tee . Which is fine for me , but with 109 I should be tour quality distance . I have to see this unit for myself

What's your smash factor? I know smash factor isn't an end all but I like it.

Mine is around 1.47 to 1.48. All about hitting it on the screws.

I have no idea , only item I used last season And this was the Skypro . The closest trackman facility we have is 2 hrs Away . I might make a day of it this summer , and travel up there and try it out . Weird , I hit a 263 yard 3 hybrid yesterday . And I had a 157 yard 9 iron with a brisk wind behind me ..But my best drive was 264 .. I scanned the yardage with my bushnell . I'm glad you posted your numbers , gives me some things to ponder on

I have no idea , only item I used last season And this was the Skypro . The closest trackman facility we have is 2 hrs Away . I might make a day of it this summer , and travel up there and try it out . Weird , I hit a 263 yard 3 hybrid yesterday . And I had a 157 yard 9 iron with a brisk wind behind me ..But my best drive was 264 .. I scanned the yardage with my bushnell . I'm glad you posted your numbers , gives me some things to ponder on

im guessing you have a not ideal attack angle and spin numbers with the driver robbing you of distance.

I'd be concerned more with the left and right distance than the north and south.

It will be worth every minute. Seeing your spin numbers and learning your swing from that aspect is really nice.

I'd bet your driver is spinning way too much if you're seeing those numbers with everything else. My biggest concern was seeing spin numbers on all the drivers and bringing my down slightly. The distance doesn't do anything for my decision.

Well, I'm officially in a pickle now with me going forward.

After my GolfTec swing evaluation I am positive and negative about my game. The evaluation was incredible and seeing everything on video was huge for me. I have way too much hip and shoulder turn on my back swing and I am getting too "deep" in my swing in most spots. I'm also bringing the club too far inside with a closed face and swinging too far inside-out which is causing my heavy draw and push misses. Ben, my pro doing the evaluation, was really awesome and really showed me all my angles to work on.

First and foremost, I have to fix my posture at address. I was far too upright and not enough knee flex. I got a very easy drill to work on and after just a couple minutes I was hitting the ball extremely well.

I'm all for the work to bring my game where I'd like but it will cost me quite a bit ($$$) and I'm out of money at this point. So, my game may be at a stand still. That's tough for me to swallow.

Back