halk

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.5
This post is some what off topic as for as golf but also relates to ones game. Two years ago I was told by my doctor that I need to loose some weight and to try to get in better shape. I was also diagnose with severe diabetes, the doctor told me I really needed to find at least 30 minutes a day to just do some simple exercise. I told him that with my schedule I did not have an extra 30 minutes which he responded that I had a choice I could find an extra 30 minutes are spend 24 hours a day dead. Well I found that 30 minutes a day and added few onto it, these days I exercise 45 to 50 minutes 4 days a week. I run 2 to 2.5 miles (on a tread mill that I can very the speed and the incline so that I am running up and down hills), spend at least 15-20 minutes on resistance weight machine. Two years ago my weight was 232 pounds today my weight is 167, my diabetes is under control and my A1C test are that of a normal person. One other benefit I have gained from this program is my golf game and I have added distance to my driver, woods, and irons. My driver I have added at least 30 yards, my irons I say at least 15 to 20 yards, so as you see it going back to my opening sentence it does relate to golf in someways.

The main point I am making here is I was one of those people that said they did not have the time to get off the couch or what ever and find a few minutes each day to improve their health. Do not in any way mean for this to sound like a soap box speech I just really proud of what I have accomplish the past two years. BTW I am 62 years old, I'm just old geezer that got in better shape LOL.

Good for you halk. I am in the middle of losing weight myself. I was at 192 two months ago and now I am 177. I want to get to 165; 155 though is where I was 4-1/2 years ago and I'd love to be there again! My back problems don't show up near as much at lower weights.

good job guys! losing weight just comes down to how bad a person wants to lose it, and apparently you guys have what it takes!

I on the other hand would like to gain a few pounds of muscle throughout the next couple years, but i should cause i go to the gym for 1-2 hours a day at 6:30a.m on weekdays

Great story, thanks for sharing! Even better that you did it naturally. Crash dieting is so tough on the heart...I like 30 minutes a day line. I take my laptop to the gym and stream a TV show...makes 45 minutes go fast and almost no commercials.

Gratz on the weight loss! I've been dieting recently as well, cut out about seven pounds, would like to lose seven more! :) I like how the doctor was like look, 30 minutes a day on the treadmill or 24 hours a day in the ground, pretty eye opening comment, no?

I like how the doctor was like look, 30 minutes a day on the treadmill or 24 hours a day in the ground, pretty eye opening comment, no?

He got my attention and he never cracked a smile when he said it. My last check up was this past February he said that if he could get 1 out of 10 of his patients to do what I did it would really make a real change. Each time I have gone in for follow up visits he always says how proud he is of what I have done. I go back in August I'll see what he thinks I have done between February and August.

Oh good, glad to have support on this issue too! I recently started an extreme overhaul of my entire life. Healthy eating, less beer (SAD face), exercise at least 4 days a week (not golf) and mentally preparing myself for each day. It has been extreme, but its so worth it.

We can do this! :clapp:

Congrats to all of you.Especially to the OP. Wish my workouts were dropping pounds.

I spend 20 mins on a bike,approx 30 mins on legs/knee another 30 mins on upper body/shoulders and then 45 mins to an hour on strecthing

We will have an announcement as far as fitness and golf are concerned coming up very soon. But here is a hint. We will be having a subforum on here directed at a wonderful fitness trainer that will be able to answer all of your questions about diets, weight loss, fitness, and more.

JB always beats me to it. I think everyone who is interested in fitness will be really excited about this. I have recently started a new workout routine myself. I get up at 5:30 4 days a week and do a very cool crossfit program. I absolutely LOVE it! The workout is already set when I get there, I get personal one-on-one attention as well as a great motivating group atmosphere. My goal is not to hit a certain number of pounds loss, instead I just want to comfortably fit into my clothes I bought just a year ago. Good luck to everyone in their fitness endeavors and I am really excited for this new subforum coming very soon.

We will have an announcement as far as fitness and golf are concerned coming up very soon. But here is a hint. We will be having a subforum on here directed at a wonderful fitness trainer that will be able to answer all of your questions about diets, weight loss, fitness, and more.

Looking forward to it!!

Congrats to all that have the drive to stick with it and shed some pounds in persuit of a healthier being, I wish I wasn't so results driven I lose interest quickly in trying to lose weight and tone up due to not seeing results right away.

Fitness is such an important element to playing better golf. I have had a very up and down roller coaster ride of fitness in the past few years, everything from being way down and running 5 miles at a time 3 or more times a week and lifting weights religiously to seeing how many jelly donuts and fountain pops I can consume in a day (not really but go with the example!) Currently I feel that I'm doing just "OK" and the other day at the range while working on some key swing changes pointed out in a recent lesson I found myself just exhausted, I couldn't even execute my swing how I wanted to and that was very discouraging. Immediately after I left the range I grabbed the dog and set out for a briskly paced walk and have rededicated myself to getting my chubby butt back down to the slim and trim person that also happened to be a 5 hdcp golfer!!

I'm super psyched about having more fitness discussed here, I will continue to check in and talk about golf and fitness and we can help pull everyone together in all of our continuous efforts to shape up!!! Great work to everyone who has dedicated/rededicated themselves to improving their health.

I saw this great sign up at Nike Town in Chicago...sums it up huh?!?!

someone.jpg

JB always beats me to it. I think everyone who is interested in fitness will be really excited about this. I have recently started a new workout routine myself. I get up at 5:30 4 days a week and do a very cool crossfit program. I absolutely LOVE it! The workout is already set when I get there, I get personal one-on-one attention as well as a great motivating group atmosphere. My goal is not to hit a certain number of pounds loss, instead I just want to comfortably fit into my clothes I bought just a year ago. Good luck to everyone in their fitness endeavors and I am really excited for this new subforum coming very soon.

Oh ya'll, that is great that a new sub forum is coming! I would really love to have the support of people that I already talk to etc! This will help me keep accountable to someone and keep me on track! Wonderful news!

Off to spinning class tonight. They keep it so hot in there. UGH - not looking forward to it, but I know I'm getting better for going!

Well said. We all need to find ways to exercise at least 30 minutes a day 3 times a week.
There are so many quality of life benefits to even the simplest, low-impact exercise that I cant imagine why anyone would think that they dont need to exercise.
Me personally, I like being in shape so I kinda go overboard. I lift weights for 30 minutes a day and I ride my bike for 30 minutes every other day.
I like the way I feel and the way I look being in shape, getting checking out by women every now and then is a nice little ego boost and my girlfriend certainly seems to like the way I look; so IMO its a good thing.

Thought I'd bring halk's thread back from the dead since I posted in it too.

169 today. That's almost 12 percent lost. Four more pounds to the goal and 14 to where I'd like to get. The so-called charts say I should really be about 150 or less (stupid charts!). The funny thing is, 23 pounds is only about 5 pounds a month. That and the back exercises and I've been feeling great lately.

Congrats Smalls! Keep it up. :banana::alien2:

Great job Smalls. Keep up the good work.

Halk, as a fellow diabetic, I know the value of the hard work to manage your BG levels. Although my weight loss isn't as sizeable as yours, I went from 212 to 180 and since stopped taking insulin. My HbA1c levels have been "normal" as well.

I'm in the gym 3-4 times a week, on either the elliptical (my favorite), or on the Lifecycle for about 45 minutes each time. I used to lift (Olympic lifts) just before cardio, until I injured myself (that's another story) so I'm just doing cardio for now.

Great job Smalls. Keep up the good work.

Halk, as a fellow diabetic, I know the value of the hard work to manage your BG levels. Although my weight loss isn't as sizeable as yours, I went from 212 to 180 and since stopped taking insulin. My HbA1c levels have been "normal" as well.

I'm in the gym 3-4 times a week, on either the elliptical (my favorite), or on the Lifecycle for about 45 minutes each time. I used to lift (Olympic lifts) just before cardio, until I injured myself (that's another story) so I'm just doing cardio for now.

Congrats on the weight loss guys and gals.

I too am a diabetic. :sad: I was 24 when I was diagnosed. I have to say I've never taken the threat seriously and that drives me crazy to say it. I have kept my A1C down with the help of meds. Last time I was at the doctor I was under 7 which compared to my 12.4 only 2 short years ago is great. I need to lose a little (ok about 80 pounds) weight. I'm just not motivated enough to do it. I've tried and I always fall off the wagon. My last attempt was over 6 weeks and I netted a loss of 1/2 a pound. :sad:

I find I can lose a lot of weight by not eating the doughnuts! Seriously.

I find I can lose a lot of weight by not eating the doughnuts! Seriously.

There'd be a loss for me if I ate donuts. Seriously. Loss of life. :bulgy-eyes:

Congrats, guys!

My project this off season is flexibility. I've had two pros this season ask me if I had a physical problem that prevented me from doing a full spine twist on my backswing. I don't--except that I'm not very flexible.

Congrats, guys!

My project this off season is flexibility. I've had two pros this season ask me if I had a physical problem that prevented me from doing a full spine twist on my backswing. I don't--except that I'm not very flexible.

I've gotten more flexible as of late. My pre-op PT has me stretching my shoulder muscles quite bit. Using the Momentus trainer helps my back stretching too.

My physical therapist showed me this measure of shoulder flexibility: put your shoulders, butt, heels and elbows against a wall. Try to touch the back of your hands to the wall - not just your knuckles. I still can't do that, but I'm getting close. My wife can do it with no problem.

I've gotten more flexible as of late. My pre-op PT has me stretching my shoulder muscles quite bit. Using the Momentus trainer helps my back stretching too.

My physical therapist showed me this measure of shoulder flexibility: put your shoulders, butt, heels and elbows against a wall. Try to touch the back of your hands to the wall - not just your knuckles. I still can't do that, but I'm getting close. My wife can do it with no problem.

After great balance and good hand-eye coordination decent flexibility is in my opinion the most important physical asset for a golfer. Dynamic and static stretching are both good but the older you get the more careful you have to be with dynamic stretching. Swinging a heavy club is definitely dynamic stretching. Stretching is the one part of my exercise program I never skip.

Back