Parent-Child Golf

Works for me; thanks. I love seeing all these little girls playing golf.

I cannot wait someday to have kiddos and have them play!! Crossing my fingers that whoever I end up with has some golf skills. :) I'm also a big reader and I've started a book collection for my future kids. Naturally, the first kids book I have is about a cute spider that plays golf.

Yes, I hear you about not growing up in the game and wishing you did. My dad never played. When I turned out to be a golfer and a lawyer (nothing he is), he was like ??? Where did you come from? :)

I just bought my friend one of these for her baby shower and one that has "Titleist" across the front (couldn't find a pic of that one!)

The other pic is just cute!!!

Boo enjoyed herself today. She ended up playing solo--the other two kids who were signed up in our group didn't show. The Kid had to come along, too--we made him tend the flag.

There were three holes, one at each par length. The kids' tee boxes were at 75 yards (par 3), 200 yards (par 5) and 150 yards (par 4). Well, they were markers in the soggy, overgrown fairways. Poor Boo was really having trouble with the wet grass--the rough was wicked, and there was a fair amount of casual water. Boo is also used to the greens at the muni course, where you have to whack hard to get a putt rolling. She shot 15, 13, and 9, respectively--had a really nice tee shot on the last hole.

Boo was pretty frustrated with that. They told her she has to shoot 25 or less twice to move to the six hole league, and she planned to do that in two weeks. But she can't wait to go out and try again. :banana:

I predict she does it. Sounds like she is determined. Good luck to Boo!

I wish my kids played golf, but none of them are interested. Of course, it didn't help that they were grown before I picked up the game. I used to fly fish, so they are all fisherpeople.

Yesterday was our club's second ever family golf nine hole scramble. It's already the most successful thing they've done this year. There were so many people signed up they had to pair families--we were in a group of seven, following a group of eight. With seven people in your group, having to use everyone's tee shot at least once gets tricky.

Boo had a couple of great tee shots and sank an 18 foot putt to win a longest putt contest. Our group came in third. Her total haul for the day was a golf towel and a sleeve of balls. The child is beginning to realize the game isn't a total cakewalk, though.

Now I gotta go get her for her three hole league. At least it won't be as wet as last week.

My parents never taught me how to golf/golf with me until i took em when i was 13/14. My gma started me and taught me the basics, from there i just went up! But now my little cousin/godson is 4 and i want to get him started. For my gmas last bday i bought her new clubs, so i took her old ones cut em down and gripped them. Now my gma and i take him and hes got a 5,7,9 and putter all in a small ParRed nike golf bag. He puts his ball down 10 yards from the green and plays it from there. Its fun to watch, and........
Clubs: $0.00
Grips: $7.00
Bag: $8.00
Teaching a loved one a game they will play for the rest of their life: Priceless

Can she still advance to the 6 hole league with a good showing today?

I think Claire said something about they have to shoot like 20 or 25 two weeks in a row to move up to the six-hole league. I think.

I think Claire said something about they have to shoot like 20 or 25 two weeks in a row to move up to the six-hole league. I think.

Ahhh, I think you are right.

But I still want to know how Boo did tonight!!!

Boo improved but no six hole league in our immediate future. She shot a 34 today. The rough remains wicked, even for adults. One errant tee shot, another approach shot into a greenside, pothole bunker. Her putting is looking better though, and she did have a couple of really nice shots on the fairway.

Poor kid, though. She's always been told she's good at this. It's kind of rough taking her game out to a real course and finding out there's some work involved.

It's kind of rough taking her game out to a real course and finding out there's some work involved.

There is? Is that why I suck at this ummmm, game?

Can't we just not count that last putt on every hole and call it good? hehe

Can't we just not count that last putt on every hole and call it good? hehe

When I first started playing as kid - I thought a gimme was exactly that - a freebie. I remember being shocked when I was told I had to count it as a stroke.

I have two boys, a one year old and four year old. I signed up my oldest (let's call him Tiger Jr.) for the "Little Linksters" Junior Golf program. It's been pretty awesome, they use the SNAG (Starting New at Golf) equipment, which consists of two clubs, a launcher and a roller. They teach the fundimentals of the swing and then they let the kids have some fun. The equipment is easier to use than "real" gear and they get sorta instant gratification from hitting it. I've since picked up a set for him and myself and we go in the backyard and hit around every now and then.

I took him out to a local nine hold for a father-son scramble and we took 2nd place! Ofcourse, since he was by far the youngest kid, we got a huuuuge advantage from the placement of his juniors tee box :)

He has a great passion for the game, just like his dear old dad, and I CAN'T wait until he's a little older so we can play more!

OGB you are making me anxious waiting for my nine month old daughter to get old enough to play. :banana:

OGB you are making me anxious waiting for my nine month old daughter to get old enough to play. :banana:

Haha, yeah, I know what you mean! My youngest (we'll call him Arnie Jr.) is one and like you, can't wait to get him going! Arnie Jr. has already been caught gnawing on my Eidolon wedges already! :)

Haha, yeah, I know what you mean! My youngest (we'll call him Arnie Jr.) is one and like you, can't wait to get him going! Arnie Jr. has already been caught gnawing on my Eidolon wedges already! :)

The gator is 20 months old now, and one of her favorite things to do while we're waiting for the goose's lesson to finish is to pick up balls on the putting green and drop them in the hole. Apparently everyone loves the sound of the ball going into the hole. She also loves pulling my putter out of my hands and sweeping the ball around the green.

The goose has played in two tournaments this year. The first was a nine hole scramble with two teams in it. So her team finished first low gross and second low net. The second was nine holes of individual stroke play on our local First Tee course. The front 9 is par 32 there and plays about 1,600 yards from the tees they played. One forced carry from the tee had me nervous, but the tournament director assured me that the little kids (goose is eight) would be playing from in front of the lake. Well, apparently we played faster than they had thought and we got to that hole before they moved the tees. Mix in the fact that although I had to caddy for my daughter (I would have even if not required, she can't carry her bag that far), a local rule prohibited us from giving advice.

I understood that the tournament director was trying to control overbearing parents (and as an AJGA alumnus, he'd seen plenty of them), but I could not tell my daughter to aim away from the lake because she couldn't carry it. After a couple of balls in the water, she figured it out and played around the lake until she got to double-par and had to pick up. And she was hot.

To her credit, goose got over it by the time we got to the next tee and played pretty well for the rest of the round. She shot 65 and finished fourth.

We're heading to the NC Outer Banks on vacation tomorrow, and goose is playing golf with my dad for the first time next week. We're all really excited.

Hooray, Goose! That's just fabulous.

Boo had her three hole league last night. This time, she was determined to shoot a 25. Poor kid--she shot a 27. Two good holes and one total disaster. Many, many tears.

The third hole was her best. A par 4, so it was about 150 yards for her. Gorgeous tee shot--nice high arc about 100 yards. Her pitch to the green was a little hot and ended in the rough on the far side. A chip on, followed by a two putt. She was thrilled with that last, because the pros two putt.

We didn't have to add up Boo's score--she knew where she was. Her immediate reaction? "I want to go right back out and try again!"

Next week will be her week, tell her we said good luck

She doesn't know it yet, but there probably won't be golf next week. The camp bus leaves Tuesday morning, we'll have an extra kid with us as it is, and the league really jams up the evening. :sad:

Boo had her three hole league last night. This time, she was determined to shoot a 25. Poor kid--she shot a 27. Two good holes and one total disaster. Many, many tears.

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!! :crying:

Back