willybilly

Reaction score
Handicap
My name is Billy and am new to this great site! I've been visiting for over a month now; just reading posts and empathizing with a few on some topics. I'm finding myself addicted to golf and this is one of my fixes I suppose.

Anyway, let me tell you something about my introduction to golf. I'm thirty-five and have just started golfing last summer. Golf was something I never, ever wanted to do. My father played it when I was a kid. I have memories of using his old Titleist irons as light sabers, anyway. It never really interested me. Football and basketball were my things. Sometimes, baseball. But I never understood his love for golf. Unfortunately, he quit golfing. Hitting the little ball around to a hole. Wasn't mini golf more fun?

So we all got older, you know. Thirty-five. My dad is sixty-three. Well, he went out to visit my yuppee brother in Atlanta. While out, he took my dad golfing. My dad got bit by the bug again. Came home to PA and told me he wanted to take me to a course. I kicked and screamed and didn't want to go. But I went. Guess what? Bug bit me too! So awesome! So I went out every weekend since last summer. Kept golfing until it got too bad weather-wise.

Bought a cheap set of Top Flite clubs and pretended I was the next John Daly. I'm not very good. I shoot anywhere from 92-95 at my local courses. Most five hundred par 5's tend to eat me up. But I love it. I have my first lesson tomorrow. Can't wait. I really hope to break 90 sometime this year.

There's a lot of things I like about golf. One of them is being able to spend five hours each Saturday with my dad.

Also, I've never been "right" since my high school football days. I missed doing competitive things. I guess a golf course is where the former athlete who searches for part of his former self tends to go.

Ahhhhhhh, I love golf. Thank you for letting me on to this board. I hope I don't embarrass myself too much on it. I'm not that computer literate. I'm still learning the game, so be kind to me....please!

from one PA person to another....welcome! whereabouts in PA?

Welcome to THP WB. Glad to have you here.

Welcome to THP!

Although Im canadian, I consider myself a pennsylvanian aswell. Where ya from Willy?

:welcome:

welcome aboard Willy! your gonna like it here!

Hello and :welcome:

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Welcome to the Paradise willybilly! From one relative newcomer to the sport to another... don't sweat it. Enjoy your time here, learn a bunch of new things, and talk it up with the rest of us yappers.

Oh, thanks for the welcome everybody! I'm from the Wyoming Valley area in PA. A little town called Nanticoke, which is near Wilkes Barre. I did live near Philly for a while (went to Widener University in Chester and Arcadia University in Glenside). Lived in Philly area for about ten years before moving back to Nanticoke. I could kick myself now for not golfing while I was out there. My friends and college buddies would always ask me to go out with them. Oh, well, there's always a homecoming or something.

Welcome to the forums WB. Glad to have you :act-up:

Welcome, WB, and be sure to check out the NE Golf Outing/Quint State Classic thread. There's always room for more!

Hello and Welcome!

Back