Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
This cannot possibly be for real can it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5118201

ESPN.com news services
Lorena Ochoa, the world's top-ranked women's golfer, announced her retirement Tuesday.

She confirmed the news in a statement released by her management company, Ochoa Group. A news conference is scheduled for Friday in Mexico City.

She appears to have struggled this season, finishing tied for 18th, 38th and 52nd before placing fourth at the Kraft Nabisco Championship, the LPGA's first major of the season.

Supposedly she was really hell bent on beginning a family?

Perhaps she is just pulling a Favre. She wants out of her current deal. (tongue in cheek).

I cannot find anything else online anywhere at this point, I would consider ESPN a pretty reputable source though, crazy indeed! I hope it's just talk and she turns things around this year.

Wow. Didn't expect that.

Here's another article that says a little more: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/golf/top-stories/World-No-1-Ochoa-to-take-break-from-game-Report/articleshow/5836792.cms.

MEXICO CITY: Mexican Lorena Ochoa, the world's top-ranked woman golfer, plans to take an indefinite break from professional golf to focus on her family and charity work, the daily Reforma reported on Tuesday.

"It is not a goodbye but a see-you-later," Reforma quoted an anonymous source as saying. The source hinted that Ochoa could return to competition in the future.

Ochoa, 28, has dominated the women's tour for the last three years with a string of titles that have made her famous in soccer-mad Mexico, where golf is seen as a pastime for a tiny wealthy elite.

She married the chief executive of Mexican airline AeroMexico last year in her home city of Guadalajara.

"She's very happy with her life and wants to focus on her family," Reforma quoted another source as saying.

Reforma said Ochoa, who counts the Mexican arm of Citigroup as one of her main sponsors, would announce her plans on Friday.

WOAH!!! NO way!!!!

Brooks and Dunn and now Lorena? What's the world coming to?

Good for her.

It has now been confirmed by Ochoa.

By the time I checked on google, there were MSNBC as well as reputable news sources confirming the statement.

so who's in line for the #1 spot?

that sucks, but good for her for wanting to devote herself fulltime to starting a family. she earned it. maybe she will come back in 2-4 years???

i will miss watching her play, but if she wants to focus on starting a family then GREAT for her.

Bummer. She is my favorite golfer on the LPGA by far, and possibly my favorite tour golfer period.

It was fun to see her come up, and now she is just done?? This can't be good for the LPGA! The changeover of the top-spot from Annika to Lorena was rather uneventful, with Annika injured while Lorena was beating up the fields, and it looks like the coming changeover won't really involve the number current number one player either!!

With all that said: Good luck Lorena! I'll miss you!!

And I :love: her swing:

[YOUTUBE]q9TkWuI3Rl0[/YOUTUBE]

^Sorry about that sound, but I just love the above swing! I could watch it all day, and perhaps I will!

Hearing her reason why she wanted to take a couple of years off makes sense to me. Although I don't like it that one of my favorite golfers is out, she's doing what she wants to do and what's best for her.

I'll miss one of the classiest girls out there on tour.

Even if she leaves golf forever, she'll make enough money off hosting tournaments and other deals

hopefully Oprah is next....

LOL. I thought I was the only one who was happy to hear she was leaving.
I will miss Lorena. She was always a classy champion, imo.

Even if she leaves golf forever, she'll make enough money off hosting tournaments and other deals

With the guy she married, I don't think money will ever be a problem.

I can tell you which part of the world #1 will come from. :)

So not necessary. I guess Christie Kerr and Suzann Pettersen just have no shot.

Back