Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Signed up for my first event of the year today at our new to us club. Two man best ball Saturday morning. 8:15 shotgun start. I'm really excited about this. They have a different event every Saturday morning. Cash and credit payouts, and skins games on the side. The club I belonged to for the last eight years offered very little in terms of organized competition. Unfortunately, with the way I've been playing to start the year, I'm not going be a very good partner with my 'cap index where it's at. Though they play these events from between 6,000 and 6,100 yards and I've been struggling from close to 6,600. There's a couple stupid 400+ yard doglegs that have been destroying me.

I hope to play most every Saturday morning in the Men's Club events, then play in the afternoon with Mrs. Esox and Junior Lancer. Since we usually play only on the weekends this should increase my rounds per year by 33%.

That's if my math is right. And my fat old body doesn't collapse into a steaming pile of out of shape flesh.

Anybody else play in organized events on a regular basis? They really mix it up at this place and I think it's going to be a blast.

Kevin

very cool esox, good luck holding the body up all summer!

Up until recently, I played in the regular cash event game on Wednesday with 36 other guys at our club. I also play in the MGA each Saturady which is similar to what you are doing. They can be a lot of fun if you have a good membership base.

Congrats Esox, enjoy it.

very cool esox, good luck holding the body up all summer!

I'm hoping if I swing hard enough for three rounds a weekend that a couple pounds will fly off of me.

Kevin

lol I know the feeling, and am hoping playing golf here in FL thru the summer will help me do the same with the heat!

I'm hoping if I swing hard enough for three rounds a weekend that a couple pounds will fly off of me.

Kevin

I play in a weekly Men's Club every Wednesday night, we start tonight (35 mph wind today as luck would have it) and we have events on weekends once or twice a month as well. It's really fun and a great change to get out and play golf and form a real strong camaraderie with fellow members of your club. Smart move Esox, you'll love it!

Does this count? I"m playing the nine holer league at our club (I can't play 18 holes during a workday unless I have clients with me), and it's a different format every week, with pro shop credit to the winners. Today was your five best holes of nine. It was upper 30s and windy as all get out, so the scores were way up there.

Does this count? I"m playing the nine holer league at our club (I can't play 18 holes during a workday unless I have clients with me), and it's a different format every week, with pro shop credit to the winners. Today was your five best holes of nine. It was upper 30s and windy as all get out, so the scores were way up there.

That is a great game. We play that one quite a bit.

That does sound like a cool game. Like playing poker.

Does your club restrict ladies (or 14 year old boys) from playing 18 holes or something?

Kevin

Anybody else play in organized events on a regular basis? They really mix it up at this place and I think it's going to be a blast.

Kevin

I've played in the Men's Club at Foothills (my home course - public) for more than 21 years now. I love the competition. As a public course club, we exist only for the competition. We aren't associated with the course in other way... no fee breaks or anything. They just set aside the times for our tournaments (19 play days this year... 17 on weekends). We have 13 stroke play tournaments scheduled this year, along with 6 match play bracketed tournaments.

The match play pairings sheet gives a window of time for each level in which the players have to set up and play their matches and return the results. It works its way down the bracket until the championship pairings in each category play in late September.

Like Kevin's club, we have a daily voluntary skins game each competition day which pays in cash, as well as the flight prizes which pay in book money in the pro shop based on the tournament entry fee. We also have a hole in one pot and an eagle pot (eagle pot pays for an eagle on a par 4 only), which pay out in equal portions to each player qualifying during a single season, if any.

I definitely like playing in these competitions. It just adds a bit of spice to the game.

I play weekly in our Men's club. We have about 200 members in our club when including the women, which there may be about 40 of them I would guess, I never play with them so I don't know the exact count. For the men we have a weekly Friday night 9 hole tournament which is for skins only paid in cash that night, then twice a month we have a men's club event for points and skins. The points get tallied for a year end payout, the skins get paid out that night in cash. We also started a challenge hole cup contest similar to the Kodak Challenge hole on the PGA tour. We are a 27 hole course so each hole gets used and your lowest 18 holes count toward the challenge cup, which is an award and payout at the end of the year. Then we have 6 member-member tournaments in which you are only allowed to use the same member once as your partner and it can be man or woman from the club, again a point total for the end of the year and paid out in a gift certificate for the pro shop. I play in these events in addition to our local regional events from the USGA.

That does sound like a cool game. Like playing poker.

Does your club restrict ladies (or 14 year old boys) from playing 18 holes or something?

Kevin

Nah--I simply can't play 18 holes during the week. With nine holes, I can be at the office by 11:00 or so. My club assumes women don't work. Bad assumption.

Up bright and early today here in Cheeseland. This weekend men can qualify for the "The President's Cup", an individual match play tournament spread out over the next month or two. I will be using my score from today's men's club in an attempt to qualify. The lowest 30 scores get into the match play rounds. We're going to have some nice fat guy weather this morning. Low 60s, and only 4-6 mph winds. My goal is to surprise 'em and drop a 78 or better on them. I've been struggling, and I fear they think I'm full of crap because this year's scores have not matched the 'cap I came in at. But I feel it coming along. A non-windy day might be just what the chef ordered. Scotty stays home and I'm going to play my 10.5* driver to get a little more carry in the lower wind speeds. I pretty much have every shot planned in my head. Decent putting and I'm good to go.

Kevin

Good luck! Let us know how you do!
Up bright and early today here in Cheeseland. This weekend men can qualify for the "The President's Cup", an individual match play tournament spread out over the next month or two. I will be using my score from today's men's club in an attempt to qualify. The lowest 30 scores get into the match play rounds. We're going to have some nice fat guy weather this morning. Low 60s, and only 4-6 mph winds. My goal is to surprise 'em and drop a 78 or better on them. I've been struggling, and I fear they think I'm full of crap because this year's scores have not matched the 'cap I came in at. But I feel it coming along. A non-windy day might be just what the chef ordered. Scotty stays home and I'm going to play my 10.5* driver to get a little more carry in the lower wind speeds. I pretty much have every shot planned in my head. Decent putting and I'm good to go.

Kevin

Go have fun you old Pro and kick some arse out there! You're only old once so enjoy the scenery, plus I have a feeling you got some sure nuff game in that old bode of yours :D..

Our President's Cup is next weekend, but it's a 2 day, individual stroke play tournament. The purse is enlarged with funds from our annual dues to make the prizes a little sweeter.

Our match play tournaments have already started. I play my first match in the open net match play this Wednesday. I'm also entered in the Senior and Master Senior, but with smaller fields they haven't started yet.

Good luck Kevin! Let us know how you fared!

Well, it didn't go quite as well as planned, but I qualified. Shot an 82 with two doubles and a triple. I also three putted for two bogeys. Ugh. On the good side I had 10 pars, but couldn't get a birdie to drop. Aside from the triple bogey hole I hit my driver straight as a string. It was really wet and I chunked a couple wedges that cost me.

But the net 76 was good enough to get me in the top 30, last year's winner is exempt, out of 40 guys.

Kevin

Was it Titleist as a whole that let you down between the putting and the wedges? I am kidding of course, I believe you left SC at home today. Congrats ESox, glad it went well. More importantly, did you have fun?

Was it Titleist as a whole that let you down between the putting and the wedges? I am kidding of course, I believe you left SC at home today. Congrats ESox, glad it went well. More importantly, did you have fun?

Scotty did stay home, and after the first couple holes I actually putted pretty well. I just couldn't get a birdie to go, though only one was inside 10 feet. The slop has me kind of freaked and I decelerated through a couple wedge shots and chunked 'em. Too much rain before the weekend. The greens at this place are so much better than my last club, that I need to start trusting the Vokey's, and all my short irons, and hit them all the way to the hole. Man, they're checking up on me. The last place the greens were like rock.

It was fun.

Kevin

Good news, Kevin. Those greens will get easier to judge. Can't wait to hear about the match play!

Esox, you still doing this? For my last round of 2010, my league played five clubs only today. I chose driver, 4h, 7i, PW, and putter. It was fun, and I ended up doing fun stuff with PW (even though I kept wanting my 9i and GW).

Esox, you still doing this? For my last round of 2010, my league played five clubs only today. I chose driver, 4h, 7i, PW, and putter. It was fun, and I ended up doing fun stuff with PW (even though I kept wanting my 9i and GW).

You have to love fun stuff with PW.

We had a seven club event a couple of weeks ago. I didn't play. I haven't picked up a club in 17 days. Work got crazy so the only golf courses I've seen are those J.L. has been playing. Mrs. Esox and I are playing a couples match Friday, my best ball partner is trying to set up our "Blue Coat" match for Monday, and I need to set up my President's Cup match within the next week. So I'm going from nothing to three matches over the next week or so. I'm sure I'll play great. LOL.

Kevin

My home course has something just about every weekend as well. Last week was a nine hole husband/wife with "better ball" the first 3 holes, "scramble" the next 3 and alternate shot the last 3. This week we have a "better ball" for teams of 2. All of the mens league guys also play skins every Saturday and Sunday morning. Good time for sure. Lots of bantering/bashing going on. Not a game for women or children.

We have a weekly medal competition, on a Tuesday. We usually have about 40 guys of each of the 3 divisions go out. Cash prizes are small, for winning the division, and a seperate prize for every 2 scored. The main competition is you against your handicap.

There's usually another competition every other weekend, either a stableford, a better-ball or a stroke play medal.

Then there's our club championship, which sounds kinda similar to the presidents cup competitions. 2 rounds of strokeplay. Top 40 gross scores qualify to the 2nd round, top 16 progress to the matchplay stage. This is played over the course of a week. Friend of mine won it this year, and I got to the last 16 for the first time.

I try to play this most weeks, and actually won this week's medal competition with a net 63! :D

Back