A Girl at Our Golf Course

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Megan Khang is only 12 years old but her lowest round this year has been a 75. She's won a number of tournaments, including two times at Doral, which hosts an international tournament every year. Many PGA/LPGA players have won this event.

One event last year she shot -24 under over three days and next closest competitor was -6 under. Her instructor is her father, who is self-taught. He is very laid back with her and you can see she enjoys practicing and playing. I play with him on occasion and it's fun to watch.

This year she won a New England match play event for kids 18 and under. On the last day she defeated Rhode Island's number one player 6 and 5. Last year she defeated Connecticut's number one player to win the event.

She played with Camillo Villegas in the Deutschebank Pro/Am last year and her group won. He was amazed at her game, her poise, and her professionalism. Word started getting around and CV's gallery kept getting bigger and bigger...not to see Camillo but to watch Megan. She'll be playing again this year.

Megan usually plays from the back tees at our course. The 9th hole is a 440 yard par 4, which she birdied with driver, 3-wood, and a 15 foot putt. She is a true phenom. It's a lot of fun playing golf with her as I know I am seeing something special.

She is well under 5-feet, hits the ball with a lot of power, as well as straight, and has a fantastic short game. She has a great on course demeanor, is soft spoken, does not brag, or carry a hint of arrogance.

As I said, her father is a great teacher and doesn't put any of that "vicarious" pressure on her you see with a lot of kids and parents.

If any of you New Englander's want to see something very special, go to the DB Pro/Am this year and follow Megan around. You'll be amazed.

Thats amazing. Glad to hear she has a solid head on her shoulders.

Question: can women play in the PGA, instead of LPGA if they choose?

Wow, that's awesome!! My instructor is coaching one of the Juniors on tour and she's I think 8 and has game :)

She can't have a sponsor or she would be a professional. The USGA and State golf associations are quite clear on that. Not to mention the NCAA if she decides she wants to play college golf.

What a player! Truly a phenom, but you don't become a phenom without working hard. I suspect we'll hear her name for many years. I like to think my Daughter has a nice future ahead of her in golf, but what some of these kids can do is mind bottling.

Kevin

She works very hard, but enjoys doing it. In addition, she's got "it". Many of us work hard at this game, but to take it to the next level and beyond you have to have a special talent and she's got it.

Thanks for all the detail about Megan. I'd heard about that pro am round.

Maybe that wasnt a girl, maybe it was Bama dressed up as a girl!!

Megan Oh Megan

Megan Oh Megan

I know this little girl... I married her Auntie...
I remember when she was little and playing with other kids...
And now she is playing so competitive golf...
Her father is one of the nicest people you will every meet, and her mother one of the biggest supporter...

They got a great team there...

I hope she makes it to the big league...

Poor Bama! Good thing he has such a great sense of humor.

Maybe that wasnt a girl, maybe it was Bama dressed up as a girl!!

Thanks for sharing that story. Being a petite woman, I've often thought that I have a natural excuse for not hitting the ball a long way. Guess I just have to learn the right technique cause I would never be on in 2 shots on a 440 yard hole.

Cool story, thanks !

Back