Clearing through the ball...

CB_fierce

Sensationalist...
Reaction score
Handicap
I have attempted to work on this until head hurts, but for some reason I cannot seem to come up with any sort of effective drills or visuals to help me with this. During my downswing, my body and hips seem to "stop" at a point, and wait on my arms to catch up. It causes me to get "jammed" up it seems if that makes any sense. Im determined to get this corrected by the end of this month, so any and all suggestions are welcome here.

Here is a video that remotely shows what I am referring to, though it may be hard to see with the uber framerate of youtube. But at impact, its like my shoulders and hips are still almost sqare to the target line instead of cleared through. (i also have a second video from a frontal view if that helps any)

This is a tuff video to slow down where I would like to see. What is your typical shot shape? and what does your miss look like? The hips look to me from this angle to clear fairly well. I am a little concerned that you have a bit of an out to in type swing. Not quite sure but it looked a touch vertical in the video. IF you could get me that kind of feed back that would be big. Do you feel like you get stuck and you have to get handsy through the hitting zone? Please try and get me some of this so I have a better feel of where to take you.

My initial thoughts are you play a little bleeder cut shot as a go to and you can hit the left to left shot from time to time. Am I close on this?

My typical shot shape is fairly straight, moving right to left or left to right probably depending on my timing. I rarely miss the ball right, my bad misses are hard hooks.

I dont know if I neccesarily feel handsy, just cramped. Like I almost have to straighten up my spine angle, and raise my shoulders in order to get through the impact zone.

Your hips cannot clear because of the vertical start to the down swing. The baseball diamond drill would be a great drill for you. This will get the club down on plane quicker and allow you to swing down and through the ball. Giving the arms and hands room to get through and allow the hips to clear.

For the drill I want you to visualize a baseball diamond. Your ball is on home plate. I need you to swing out to right field. to help you do this stick a tee in the ground 3-4 inches infront of the ball and an 1-2 to the right. I want you to swing down into the ball and get your club to travel out over the tee in the ground. Try this for a while and let me know what happens.

Back